Author Topic: "Hollywood Steps Out" NOT w/ original titles on eBay - please delete  (Read 2417 times)

TServo2049

• View Profile
Hi,

I was searching eBay for cartoons on 16mm, and came across this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16mm-Hollywood-Steps-Out-41-Tex-Avery-Classic-CartOOn-Several-Stars-Featured-/150819777476?pt=US_Film&hash=item231d8f2bc4

That's right, it's Hollywood Steps Out with the original titles. Original-title 16mm prints turn up from time to time, but for this one, I wonder...might this have the complete ending, or is it confirmed that the ending was cut before the original release?

[UPDATE: Apparently this title card is actually a fake, and now that I look at the picture in the auction, it sure looks fake to me. With the fake title card and visibly faded color, this 16mm is obviously some kind of bootleg. I apologize, I usually do more research than this. Please delete this thread.]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 02:35:38 pm by TServo2049 »

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
Re: "Hollywood Steps Out" w/ original titles on eBay
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 01:49:56 pm »
According to Dave Mackey's title card site:

http://www.davemackey.com/animation/wb/1941.html

"There is a fake title card in circulation for this cartoon. It states "Supervision: Fred "Tex" Avery". We all know this to be bogus."

But seeing this asks the big question are we sure if what on eBay is the real deal? Could someone please clear this up?

TServo2049

• View Profile
Re: "Hollywood Steps Out" w/ original titles on eBay...NOT
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 02:26:17 pm »
I didn't know about that. I'd guess that it's the same fake card he's talking about - now that I look at it, it looks about as professional as the Korean redrawn title cards.

And how the heck did I miss the fact that Fred was never called "Tex" at WB? Or that an original IB Technicolor 16mm would not have clearly visible fading? All signs point to it being one of the bootleg prints Dave was referring to, so the ending would be the same as the Blue Ribbon.

I feel like yelling "Sucker!" at a mirror over and over, like the lion in "From Hand to Mouse."

False alarm people, I didn't do my research before posting, please delete this thread.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 02:34:47 pm by TServo2049 »

Woody Woodpecker

• Researchers
  • 11th Incarnation
    • View Profile
I wouldn't mind if Dave Mickey explained why its fake. Unless compared to the other cards from the era that its supposed include more text. Such as Story by, Animation and Musical direction?
?
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton
"Empty paper, means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one" ~ Doc Brown form Back to the future Triology

Tom Stathes

• Researchers
    • View Profile
Boy, that card nearly fooled me!  :fudd:

TServo2049

• View Profile
I think two key things are:

1. Tex Avery was always credited as "Fred Avery" at Schlesingers. "Tex" was never used onscreen.

2. The typeface used for Avery's name is an anachronism - it was not used in movies in 1941. Its presence suggests a late 60s or early 70s origin.

Green Kitten

• View Profile
I thought that title card looked fake the second I saw it personally...  :fudd: