Author Topic: Jerry Beck on Stu's Show: March 21, 2012  (Read 7851 times)

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
Re: Jerry Beck on Stu's Show: March 21, 2012
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2012, 10:45:23 am »
Because Cat Feud features a different dog (albeit same design as Marc Anthony, but it isn't Marc Anthony). They probably should've called it "The Complete Pussyfoot" so the short could be included.

chuckamuck53

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2012, 12:04:31 pm »
You're right - that dog was kinda "UPA-Anthony"...it must've been the clawing up the back gag that threw me!  ;D
"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

anthrocoon

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2012, 12:27:47 pm »
The Academy Award winning John & Faith Hubley short with music by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, mentioned by Jerry. Stu said he loves the band's music but was unaware there was a cartoon.
Neither was I, nor many others I'd guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWn6-4HWSJg&feature=fvst

speedy fast

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2012, 08:11:48 am »
I wonder what that collection of mice shorts will be called. Snffles & Friends? Chuck Jones Mouse Cartoons?

It's good that we might be getting more minor and one-shot characters on a DVD, but if it's all Chuck Jones, I guess that means no Speedy and Daffy.

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2012, 11:20:15 am »
You know Thad, you should probably lend your print of House Hunting Mice with its original titles to Jerry so we can finally see them on DVD.  ;)

Though the Mice set is not set in stone.

speedy fast

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2012, 09:47:58 pm »

I wonder if they have other Super Star ideas in mind, in case the mice DVD gets rejected. I wonder how much time is usually spent on restoring cartoons. Though they could just release a set of only double-dipping from the Golden Collections... But I hope they don't do that (though ONLY double dipping is better than mixing double dipped cartoons with unreleased shorts).

I wonder if there is any way they could release a single DVD with all the restored cartoons from the Platinum Collection, so that people who have all the Golden Collections and Super Stars can have them on DVD without having to buy the Platinum. I'd also be content with the shorts restored for the Academy Awards set (A Wild Hare and Hawiatha's Rabbit Hunt... did that set restore any other WB shorts not on the Golden Collections?). Also Porky's Duck Hunt, though I don't know whether that was restored for The Essential Daffy Duck (I've read a few reviews and I STILL don't know if it was restored).

David Gerstein

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2012, 01:21:30 pm »
Also Porky's Duck Hunt, though I don't know whether that was restored for The Essential Daffy Duck (I've read a few reviews and I STILL don't know if it was restored).
It was restored. It generally looks very good.

Leviathan

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2012, 08:11:50 pm »
Did Jerry or Stu give the date for Jerry's next radio interview here?

craigoman8

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2012, 12:06:16 pm »
 Hi, everyone. I tend to lurk in the shadows, reading the IAD forums everyday, but as you can see, I do not log on and say much. But, I’ve talked about this one point I’m going to bring up before in other venues.

In spite of the prints floating around out there, somewhere, someplace there has to exist a complete print of “Popeye and the Pirates”.  I remember this cartoon and the missing scene as if it were yesterday. Mayor Art on KRON TV Channel 4 in the San Francisco Bay Area in the late 1950's would show this cartoon intact. This is how the scene would go:

After Popeye, disguised as a female, thought he took care of the Pirate Captain, he starts removing his disguise. The present day cut starts as Popeye reaches down the front of his dress to remove his "bosom". In the now missing part, he pulls out a black barbell - two small cannonballs with a bar in-between them. He tosses the barbell over his shoulder after tossing his hat and shoes, etc., but then there is a quick pan and a cutaway to the Pirate Captain who has gotten the barbell thrown into his mouth!! When the cartoon resumes after the cut, one can briefly see that is what happened, with the Pirate Captain's mouth and cheeks puffed out, with Popeye doing his "oh, no" take, running, etc. Now that you know how that scene went, this information will totally make sense when you see the cartoon once again.

As a 7 year old, I thought that scene was funny. (And I am certainly not corrupted today!) When KBHK TV Channel 44 in San Francisco started showing the Popeye cartoons in the 1960’s, that scene was cut out like it is now. At that time, I thought the channel did the cutting. When I moved from the Bay Area in 1978, the Sacramento TV Station KTXL Channel 40 was playing it with that same scene cut, also. These stations were still using 16mm prints at that time. I am guessing the distributors to the stations did the editing in those packages, with prints now all having that cut.
 :popeye:

Leviathan

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2012, 08:34:09 pm »
The only other instance of aap getting the original version of a cartoon is Bugs Bunny Rides Again and its "Mahatma Ghandi" line, but it was aired by every station that had the a.a.p. package, not just select ones for a certain period of time. I'm not doubting Craig's memory, but for the original scene to surface in the print sent out to one TV station in California is pretty extraordinary.

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2012, 09:12:59 pm »
Did Jerry or Stu give the date for Jerry's next radio interview here?

From what I've heard, in June.