Author Topic: Jerry Beck on Stu's Show: March 21, 2012  (Read 10070 times)

Brandon Panther

• R.I.P. GAC
    • View Profile
Re: Jerry Beck on Stu's Show: March 21, 2012
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 10:28:05 am »
Jerry will possibly look at the negative for Popeye and The Pirates. Hint, hint.  ;)
Thad mentioned he already looked at an original film print (not an AAP print), and it has the same cut.

Hey, my 100th post!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:41:09 am by Brandon Panther »

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 11:24:52 am »
Thad mentioned he already looked at an original film print (not an AAP print), and it has the same cut.

Hey, my 100th post!

That cut they mention seems a lot like the sloppy Production Code edit in "Baby Bottleneck" with the cut after the sow stops the baby alligator.  The sow is moving her lips about to say something but is cut before any audio is heard.  Like that one, it must have been removed at the last minute before wide release.

Hopefully the un-edited Popeye footage still exists somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:47:50 pm by Joe »

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 12:27:06 pm »
Jerry will possibly look at the negative for Popeye and The Pirates. Hint, hint.  ;)

I was talking about the possibility of a Famous Studios Popeye collection.

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2012, 01:53:29 am »
I should've said this before but, Jerry said that Steve Stanchfield is working on a Felix The Cat release. Am I getting that right?

mulroz

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2012, 02:54:12 am »
I should've said this before but, Jerry said that Steve Stanchfield is working on a Felix The Cat release. Am I getting that right?
That would be great, but I think that he has to cooperate with Don Oriolo on this.

Steve Stanchfield

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2012, 05:42:33 am »
It was nice to get some shout out for Thunderbean on the show.

There are no official announcements about a project related to any certain black cats, but if there were they would involve
Felix the Cat productions.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 06:07:00 am by Steve Stanchfield »

mulroz

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2012, 06:52:50 am »
It was nice to get some shout out for Thunderbean on the show.

There are no official announcements about a project related to any certain black cats, but if there were they would involve
Felix the Cat productions.

Would be great if something appeared in the future. My collection of Felix Cartoons is scattered over 6 public domain and 5 home brew dvd's with double dipping.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:57:27 am by mulroz »

Reading Bug

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2012, 08:34:00 am »
Would someone kindly provide a rundown of the highlights and news? Thanks! :)

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2012, 10:56:01 am »
To wit:

-Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volume 2 scheduled for both Blu-ray and DVD this December. It will include The Complete A. Flea (An Itch In Time and A Horsefly Fleas), Hare-Um Scare-Um with it's complete ending, and from WB's Facebook, voters have selected Wabbit Twouble to be one of the cartoons on this set.

-Jerry says he'll look at the negative to Popeye and The Pirates (possible Famous Studios Popeye set hint)

-Not set in stone, still in the planning stages, the LT SS release for this summer will be focusing on mice cartoons by Chuck Jones (Sniffles, Hubie and Bertie).

-LT SS to continue (almost got the boot) with 2 releases this and next year!

-Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Volume 2 scheduled for next year (and we all know that it will contain Mouse Cleaning with it's original titles)

-The T&J GC series will include the Gene Deitch and Chuck Jones entries!

-As far as Jerry knows, 1001 Arabian Nights will be on the Mr. Magoo Theatrical Collection

-There will be some cartoons shown at the Paramount 100th Anniversary screening (at least I got the gist of it) and might be a perfect oppurtunity to get official releases of the cartoons Paramount owns

-Rumour has it, Steve is working on a Felix set according to Jerry (nothing official, just a rumour and like Steve said, if it happens, it would involve Felix The Cat productions)

-If the UPA set sells well (which it will) we could see more collections of the Columbia cartoons (maybe even Fox and Crow) through TCM.

-There are plans for animation for the Warner Archive...

-I myself passed along an idea for a Cats Don't Dance 15th AE. Can't confirm or deny if this will come to fruition though.

-From Thad, Popeye and The Pirates has had the abrupt cut since it first premiered in theaters (he has the original Nitrate, non AAP, negative to confirm this)

-Censored 11 is still on the books (and I do agree, it would make a wonderful teaching tool for children/schools)

I believe that's it.

King Delbert

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2012, 12:08:59 pm »
^ Well there is a Cat in the Hat movie in production (thank goodness), and the Chuck Jones Mice might have been confirmed.

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2012, 01:26:44 pm »
And I also emailed (orginally it was a bad voice mail question) about the possibility of Warners to open another video player site to rival Hulu.  I don't know if Warners will ever try again.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:31:36 pm by NicKramer »

vdubdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2012, 01:30:12 pm »
-From Thad, Popeye and The Pirates has had the abrupt cut since it first premiered in theaters (he has the original Nitrate, non AAP, negative to confirm this)

Wait, he has the actual negative?! Or did you mean an original theatrical release print?

David Gerstein

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2012, 01:54:28 pm »
Thad and I inspected a 1940s theatrical nitrate print. It included the abrupt cut.
But—that said, who knows whether an (earlier?) negative might contain something that this print did not. It shouldn't be the last word on the matter.

chuckamuck53

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2012, 03:07:47 pm »
Thanks for the recap Toonatic!

...It'd be nice if they'd put all those Jones' toons with Hubie & Bert & Claude & Marc Anthony & Pussyfoot & Frisky Pup together....

...did they ever say why "The Complete Marc Anthony didn't include Cat Feud ?
"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2012, 09:11:47 pm »
...did they ever say why "The Complete Marc Anthony didn't include Cat Feud ?

No, he didn't.  Nobody mentioned that in their emails.