Author Topic: "I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat" loses the Annie Awards  (Read 1326 times)

wiley207

• I'm back!
    • View Profile
"I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat" loses the Annie Awards
« on: February 05, 2012, 10:27:49 am »
The 39th annual Annie Awards (exclusive awards for animation) was last night. "I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat" was nominated for Best Animated Short Film, but of course, like almost every Looney Tunes production that got an Annie nomination, it lost. HOWEVER, it lost to Minkyu Lee's spectacular "Adam and Dog" short (no losing to Pixar this time!) It seems ironic, how a 3D Looney Tunes short lost to a 2D-animated short (something like this happened last year, "Coyote Falls" losing to Pixar's 2D-animation experimental production "Day and Night.")

Additionally, "Rango" won the award for Best Animated Feature Production from the Annies. Looks like no cheating/rigging on Pixar or DreamWorks's part for a change!  ;D

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118049740

ParamountCartoons

• View Profile
Re: "I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat" loses the Annie Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:10:59 am »
I think, aside from mild winning streaks from Prep and Landing 2, and maybe Rango, I think voting was fair.

Brandon Panther

• R.I.P. GAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 11:28:16 am »
I think we should start some kind of petition. maybe with Facebook, to at least get "Daffy's Rhapsody" an Oscar nomination, or fight for it to win an Annie award. Daffy's long deserved it.

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 02:05:59 pm »

Additionally, "Rango" won the award for Best Animated Feature Production from the Annies. Looks like no cheating/rigging on Pixar or DreamWorks's part for a change!  ;D

How can you tell if they really rigged the awards in the past? 

wiley207

• I'm back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 02:22:15 pm »
I can't, but I do have suspicions. Look at the 2009 Annie Awards. Kung Fu Panda won 'em all, even beating out Wall-E, which wound up winning all the other best animated film awards (even the Oscar!) Sounds a little suspicious on DreamWorks's part. Then before that, ever since "Finding Nemo" won (and defeated "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" big-time), Pixar would always win, even if the film isn't so great. Exceptions besides that Kung Fu Panda incident were 2006, when NO Pixar film was nominated ("Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" won), and last year, the first where Disney and Pixar stepped out (I think it was some kind of boycott), and "How to Train Your Dragon" won it, while "Toy Story 3" got the Oscar for Best Animated Film. That year, it sounded a bit more like fair judging as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlVpNtEvIrM
Another video showing this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-bvvEbKgAE&feature=related
...and a personal video I made of Daffy Duck criticizing the Annies for always not awarding Looney Tunes stuff.

Oh, and Brandon, I agree with your petition idea!

frye

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 04:40:24 pm »
were the annie awards the ones voted on by the animations union?

i recall last year cartoon brew had an article saying that dreamworks purchased every employee a union membership which meant they could vote on the awards, where pixar membership was optional. which meant the amount of members was lopsided in dreamworks favor, and there is speculation that led to them voting for their own stuff and winning whether they deserved it or not.

this story may be referring to a different award, but i don't remember all the details from the article.

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 05:36:58 pm »
I can't, but I do have suspicions. Look at the 2009 Annie Awards. Kung Fu Panda won 'em all, even beating out Wall-E, which wound up winning all the other best animated film awards (even the Oscar!) Sounds a little suspicious on DreamWorks's part. Then before that, ever since "Finding Nemo" won (and defeated "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" big-time), Pixar would always win, even if the film isn't so great. Exceptions besides that Kung Fu Panda incident were 2006, when NO Pixar film was nominated ("Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit" won), and last year, the first where Disney and Pixar stepped out (I think it was some kind of boycott), and "How to Train Your Dragon" won it, while "Toy Story 3" got the Oscar for Best Animated Film. That year, it sounded a bit more like fair judging as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlVpNtEvIrM
Another video showing this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-bvvEbKgAE&feature=related
...and a personal video I made of Daffy Duck criticizing the Annies for always not awarding Looney Tunes stuff.

Oh, and Brandon, I agree with your petition idea!

Maybe for Dreamworks, but for the years that Pixar won for best animated film, they earned the award, IMO.