Author Topic: Alex Ignatiev's obituary...  (Read 10887 times)

zartok-35

• View Profile
Re: Alex Ignatiev's obituary...
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 05:08:31 pm »
Well, Mr. Perk, I, an mayny others, I'm sure, have nothing but the utmost admiration for what you are doing. It's unfortunate that Sanek included your sheets in his crooked scheme!

Sogturtle

• "People Get Ready" (song)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 10:15:17 pm »
:ozzie: A little background on my Disney drafts in case anyone doubts their validity:
I have been collecting drafts since I first met one in person in 1978.
It is rather fun seeing how much others are interested in my toys. Makes me want to play more with them!

(Why anyone would fake an animation draft is completely beyond my grasp...)

Hello Hans aka AFilmLa~

Very nice to see you here!  And NO, nobody but nobody even for one second doubts the validity of your Disney animation drafts. They are not only a great resource but a joy to actually behold!  8).  [For comparison this Turtle only had that one Disney short draft plus photocopies of Warner's drafts from the latter Forties, a few Warner commercials drafts and a VERY partial one from Warner's "Incredible Mr. Limpet". They are all unbelievably rare].

And WHY anybody would fake an animation draft (particularly a Warner Bros. one) comes back to the issue of getting acclamation for making such rare "finds" and then freely sharing them with all. OR for the thrill of perpetrating a "great joke".   Tis hard to comprehend anybody actually doing it not once but SEVERAL times in rapid succession.  BUT strangely enough ever since exposing the facts about Alex Ignatiev's imaginary son and grandson it ALL MIRACULOUSLY stopped!  :P ;) :bugs2:

wundermild

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2011, 02:19:14 pm »

Woody Woodpecker

• Researchers
  • 11th Incarnation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 01:45:06 pm »
@Hans aka AFilmLA ; I have always liked your postings of Disney drafts and like Sogturle said  I have never doubts the validity of your posting of Disney drafts I always look forward to your next post. I like what you are with your blog keep up good work.  ;)

@Sogturle; You my friend deserve my compliment for helping exposing Sanek is "findings" as fraud which I had suspected myself something didn't look right on those WB drafts he was posting they looked why to Disney like to be a coincidence but I had nothing in my had to prove it. But I'm not sure eather what Sanek is motivation was we will never know he gained nothing finical maybe it was some short of ID stroke but since the guy was Russian not surpsingly that he cheated they do cheat on elections. 
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton
"Empty paper, means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one" ~ Doc Brown form Back to the future Triology

Thad Komorowski

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 10:51:17 am »
All of the Warner drafts I own are hand-written too.
What an asshole.

Steve Hartley

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2011, 05:27:32 am »
Looks like the morale is that we all should be aware of what sources are reliable or not, since I guess most of us have fallen for his trap (especially me). Since we've proven that Sanek is a fraud by posting these drafts - next time if it happens again - we should just ignore it.
http://likelylooneymostlymerrie.blogspot.com/

A student that has no plans on being on being a animator or artist other than being interested in it. I aspire to be a journalist.

The Spectre

• View Profile
    • The Darmok the Green Experience
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2011, 08:22:47 pm »
Steven Hartley sent me a link to this thread when I asked about what was going on at Sanek's blog.  I wasn't quite sure what the "Portrait of A Lier" [sic] image was about - of course, my first assumption was that he had been found out and that the drafts were fake, but I hoped I'd find out more, especially since Sanek's posts are often quite difficult to understand (the language barrier).  Then, I saw Thad's post about it on his blog, and finally found Steven's link.  So, thanks Steven, for showing me the whole story and the TTTP In Exile boards in general!

Like many people, I guess wishful thinking convinced me of their reality, but the multiple effects animators and a couple of things about the "Wacky Wabbit" draft (the date seemed too close to the release date, and the discussions on the forums about the census info and the studio's layout and background artists made it seem unlikely that Tom McKimson was Clampett's layout artist at the time) made me wonder.  Also, the lack of screen footage, which would be much more difficult to fake convincingly.

Just out of interest regarding *actual* facts about the studio, were my suspicions about "The Wacky Wabbit" correct?  I'm not assuming that anyone has a real draft of this short, but do the date and the Tom McKimson credit seem implausible?
Blog: http://darmokthegreen.blosgpot.com

LATEST POST: A comparison of "Cholly Polly", "Cheese Burglar", "Stooge for a Mouse" and "Bugsy and Mugsy".

Steve Hartley

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 03:32:10 pm »
Steven Hartley sent me a link to this thread when I asked about what was going on at Sanek's blog.  I wasn't quite sure what the "Portrait of A Lier" [sic] image was about - of course, my first assumption was that he had been found out and that the drafts were fake, but I hoped I'd find out more, especially since Sanek's posts are often quite difficult to understand (the language barrier).  Then, I saw Thad's post about it on his blog, and finally found Steven's link.  So, thanks Steven, for showing me the whole story and the TTTP In Exile boards in general!

No problem, Spectre. Also, I would just completely ignore that information about Tom McKimson on the "Wacky wabbit" for now, since Sanek has betrayed us all. I now regret for relying on these sources and being ever so naive. Thanks to all in this thread for the investigation. :D
http://likelylooneymostlymerrie.blogspot.com/

A student that has no plans on being on being a animator or artist other than being interested in it. I aspire to be a journalist.

Sogturtle

• "People Get Ready" (song)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2011, 05:32:58 pm »

Thad~

Yeah the 1940's Warner's drafts are in pencil (I'm presuming that you have more than I do now). The MUCH later ones of their animated commercials and of "The Incredible Mr. Limpet" are neatly typed... [Jack Warner finally sprang for a typewriter] :daffy:

Spectre~

Good to see you here! The Turtle has a color animation layout or two by Tom McKimson from "An Itch In Time" but that's about the earliest that we can absolutely document him being at Schlesinger's, and WHEN that cartoon started production is open to speculation. I have some of Tom's pay-stubs from the studio but they date from after that, so obviously aren't of any help in resolving exactly when he joined the studio. BUT then again, he was most definitely NOT at the studio at all in 1940, so he joined sometime in '41 or '42. Need to check my other computer...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 05:46:07 pm by Sogturtle »

Thad Komorowski

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2011, 05:03:09 pm »

Thad~

Yeah the 1940's Warner's drafts are in pencil (I'm presuming that you have more than I do now). The MUCH later ones of their animated commercials and of "The Incredible Mr. Limpet" are neatly typed... [Jack Warner finally sprang for a typewriter] :daffy:

I have one from the era Sanek was posting falsified documents from, A Tale of Two Kitties. Bob Clampett was circulating it himself (see the jet-black ink "Directed by Bob Clampett" at the top of it against the older vintage ink), and the one that conveniently exposes his own bogus story about Avery firing Sid Sutherland. The others I have are much later, from the McKimson unit. My guess is that everyone bought his story because at first, he wasn't offering scans of anything. I knew it was B.S. the second I saw one of his faked WB drafts. (And FWIW, none of the real Warner drafts I've seen credit effects animators.)

The Spectre

• View Profile
    • The Darmok the Green Experience
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2011, 05:55:52 pm »
Speaking of the fact that he didn't post up any "scans", one thing which was kind of suspicious from the outset was that supposedly "Paul" had mis-read the name LEBEDEFF as LEVITOV, while still realising the name wasn't LEVITOW.  I wondered how that was possible.
Blog: http://darmokthegreen.blosgpot.com

LATEST POST: A comparison of "Cholly Polly", "Cheese Burglar", "Stooge for a Mouse" and "Bugsy and Mugsy".