Author Topic: Tom Stathes and Thunderbean just released a Blu-ray  (Read 5619 times)

Tom Stathes

• Researchers
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Stathes and Thunderbean just released a Blu-ray
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 06:46:34 pm »
I think this should be do-able sometime in January when I have more physical stock available here. Let's check in about that after New Year's.

Hope a bunch of you have started getting copies already...looking forward to your thoughts, and of course some Amazon customer reviews would be fabulous!  :bosko:

Bradskey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 06:54:28 pm »
I've watched the first three silents on the blu-ray.  The quality of the transfers is exceptional.  The 1907 entry is a little rough with such extremem age naturally, but still quite watchable.  I'm pleasantly surprised also by the excellent custom scores done for most of the cartoons by some of the best in the industry.  The booklet is very informative and well-done as well.  Overall an A+ presentation and a quality product, definitely worth owning for any classic animation fan.  Looking forward to working my way through the rest of these.

Tom Stathes

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 07:53:32 pm »
Really glad to hear you're impressed!

As for the first short, yeah, I wish it wasn't as grainy and high-contrast as it is. When time and funds permit, I have to see if there's possibly a better looking version out there. You'll notice a focus problem during some of the animation sequences...offhand this might look like a print quality problem, but it actually seems to have been introduced during the original filming. Reminds me of some of Fleischer's early Inkwell shorts after he left Bray...I think Modeling or Fishing comes to mind. For whatever reason, the picture jitters when something in the animation is moving, and static when it is not. Considering how much inventing these guys had to do as they made their films and went along with such crude equipment and no tutorials, it's amazing how good most of the films do look on the whole from a production standpoint.