Author Topic: In Your Wildest Dreams ...  (Read 4890 times)

eutychus

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
    • View Profile
    • The Internet Animation Database
In Your Wildest Dreams ...
« on: August 02, 2014, 07:55:59 am »
What would you like the Internet Animation Database to do next?

Granted, we still have a ton of work to do, but things are rolling along well, and we've had a ton of contributions lately, but I'm feeling it might be time to take things to the next level.

So, what would you like to see us do next? It might be something simple ... or it may be some grandiose idea that you've had that you'd like to see implemented.

Don't be afraid to go a little crazy. What should be our next step?

ParamountCartoons

• View Profile
Re: In Your Wildest Dreams ...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 01:02:59 pm »
-MUPPETS ONLY!  Muppet database with help from Muppet fanpages and Muppet Wiki

-Holiday Party in Real Time chat room! Like the Holiday Party threads where you pretend to be 'toons, but happening in realtime.

Ugly PD Cover Contest: Jon Cooke is busy raising a family, I'm sure he won't mind if IAD does its own Ugly PD Contest- win a free Thunderbean DVD!

Animated commercials page

Missing sponsor segments of holiday specials- Get collectors to form the largest collection of missing sponsor segments (first-run and early reiruns). This includes Charlie Brown specials taking place in any ocassion, not just holidays.

Alternate versions of certian cartoons- titles, missing footage, censorship, etc.

Links to cartoon websites

DVD/Blu-ray Reviews

Mister Bighead

• Researcher
  • Head Toad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 01:41:48 pm »
DVD/Blu-ray Reviews

I was going to make that suggestion as well.

Or maybe perhaps the Internet Animation Database could start a blog which will contain news, reviews, interviews, special articles, etc. Eutychus along with several other interested contributors could write articles for it.

Ugly PD Cover Contest: Jon Cooke is busy raising a family, I'm sure he won't mind if IAD does its own Ugly PD Contest- win a free Thunderbean DVD!

Animated commercials page

I was thinking we should have more contests. We should have a contest related to writing. As for commercials, we could most likely add them to the database even though I think the website is more for animated features and shorts. (I personally would like to see the Sesame Street animated segments added to the IAD.)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:02:35 pm by Mister Bighead »
Happy Holidays, everyone!

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 02:26:03 pm »
I say another contest, this time a triva contest.  The prize can be either new or old like a character item or an out of print tape or DVD.  I would like to win something like the Warner/Columbia House Looney Tune tapes that Jerry helped put together.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:10:01 pm by NicKramer »

DaffyDave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 03:37:07 pm »
A contest sounds like a great idea.  How about a contest related to adding content to the IAD?

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 09:32:55 pm »
DVD and Blu-ray image comparisons

King Delbert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 11:46:43 pm »
How about a page that showcases original opening titles over the years?  That's what I love best.

Benamation

• RAGGLE FRAGGLE !
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 09:54:08 am »
-Animated Commercials page

-International Animation page (Anime included)

-Animation Documentaries page

-Animation Books page

-Cartoon Character histories

-Works of Animation Studios page
I like Cartoons and that's it

eutychus

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
    • View Profile
    • The Internet Animation Database
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 02:50:06 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, all! There are some that I had in my mind anyway and some that are new to me, but might be good ideas. Here's my feelings about just a few:

1: Animated Commercials Section: In the works ... I'm just trying to find a way to work it into the database itself.

2: International Animation Page: not just a page, but I would like to introduce animation from other countries into the database, so if anyone wants to help take on the project, please chime in.

3: An associated blog: I did have a blog back with the old DisneyShorts site which I might revive, although I don't have as much time for writing as I used to. But we could also make it a place where reviews of DVDs and BluRays can go. (I'd love to do side by side comparisons of DVDs and BluRays, but that would mean I'd have to buy each format and these days, I'm lucky to be able to afford one or the other!) Once again, if anyone who has the writing skills wants to help out, feel free!

4: A books page - good idea! I'll look into that!

5: I like the idea of having a contest relating to adding content. But right now I only have 2 or 3 people who update on a regular basis. If more people jump in, maybe we would do this. I'm thinking of maybe a points system ...10 points for new titles, 20 for comments, 5 for each credit submitted 100 for sets of screenshots since that's what Ilike to add the most ... something like that.

Lots of food for thought here, so keep the ideas coming!

Mister Bighead

• Researcher
  • Head Toad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 05:00:06 pm »
3: An associated blog: I did have a blog back with the old DisneyShorts site which I might revive, although I don't have as much time for writing as I used to. But we could also make it a place where reviews of DVDs and BluRays can go. (I'd love to do side by side comparisons of DVDs and BluRays, but that would mean I'd have to buy each format and these days, I'm lucky to be able to afford one or the other!) Once again, if anyone who has the writing skills wants to help out, feel free!

What I had in mind was to have the blog be written by numerous contributors (similar to Cartoon Research and The Rotoscopers). The blog could include a "Cartoon of the Week", Blu-Ray and DVD reviews, "retro reviews" of past animated movies, and articles about obscure animated films few people know about. It would also be great if professional animation historians could chime in.

Also, since the Internet Animation Database relates to all animation regardless of when it was produced, I was thinking it could feature articles related to contemporary animation. There could be film reviews on animated features just being released in theaters. (I miss the feature film talkback posts on Cartoon Brew.)

Retro00064

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 06:41:33 pm »
It would also be great if professional animation historians could chime in.

It would be great if animation historians would chime in more on this forum!

---

How about a section on individual cartoon pages where screenshots of alternative (e.g. reissue) title sequences for a cartoon could be featured?

Also, I note that the rules for submitting screenshots state "up to 5 [opening] title cards". What if a cartoon has more than that, like 6 or 7? I think all of the cards should be shown. If featuring more than 5 in the scrolling screenshot display on the left would be problematic, maybe they should be displayed in a separate section, like the one suggested above.

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 04:15:39 pm »
I would like another moderator for the fourms, mainly the game fourms.  I think Holiday threads have gone too over the top. 

ParamountCartoons

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 04:44:24 pm »
I would like another moderator for the fourms, mainly the game fourms.  I think Holiday threads have gone too over the top.

You mean Holiday Party Threads....

If you're referring to that, well, come on! It's a place to let out your silliness and storytelling! Yes they are over the top, but they are fun to do.

The Dogfather/Toadette

• I'm an animatophilic shroom-girl!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 06:44:40 pm »

You mean Holiday Party Threads....

If you're referring to that, well, come on! It's a place to let out your silliness and storytelling! Yes they are over the top, but they are fun to do.

Well said! Plus, they're a GAC tradition dating back 10 years. And sometimes they also alternate as a National Film Board of Canada equivalent of the Youtube Thread.

Mister Bighead

• Researcher
  • Head Toad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 08:10:37 pm »
The posts in the party threads do seem a bit weird, but that's okay. It wouldn't be fun if some moderator took the party threads and threw them in a vault never to be released. (They would eventually escape to be even more "animaniacal"!)

Speaking of the party threads, I apologize for not contributing lately. I've been busy with school and other commitments.