Author Topic: UPA Jolly Frolics set in 2012!  (Read 25556 times)

FleischerFan

• View Profile
Re: UPA Jolly Frolics set in 2012!
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2012, 08:51:03 am »
The good news: I now have a USPS tracking # for the set.

The bad news: TCM still hasn't really shipped it. They just notified the post office yesterday (March 23) that they WILL be shipping it and were assigned a tracking number.

This may be my first and ONLY purchase from TCM.
"Always pleasant journey which ends among old friends." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

ohmahaaha

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2012, 09:41:35 am »

The bad news: TCM still hasn't really shipped it. They just notified the post office yesterday (March 23) that they WILL be shipping it and were assigned a tracking number.

I know it can be frustrating but I think we should withold judgement until we have product in hand.  Any quality DVD release of classic animation such as this promises to be needs to be ENCOURAGED.

Thad Komorowski

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2012, 04:07:20 pm »
TCM's shipping department has been thoroughly unprofessional regarding this release. This is not one guy and his wife sending out hundreds of order, it's a COMPANY. They need to get their act together if they want to charge this kind of money for shipping, handling, and taxes for Media Mail.

Woody Woodpecker

• Researchers
  • 11th Incarnation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2012, 04:36:26 pm »
You have to wonder if they secretly want this to fail.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton
"Empty paper, means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one" ~ Doc Brown form Back to the future Triology

Paul Penna

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 01:17:24 am »
You have to wonder if they secretly want this to fail.

Home Video Exec: "I don't think anybody will buy this stuff."
Assistant: "I know, let's do it and prove you're right.  If we're lucky, we'll lose our shirts. That'll put you in solid with Corporate."
Home Video Exec: "I like the way you think."

CyberFox

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 01:49:54 am »
I got mine in the mail 2 days ago, It's bloomin' mega
though i'm puzzled that most of them end with the "A Columbia Favorite" ending card

Sogturtle

• "People Get Ready" (song)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 02:26:20 am »
I got mine in the mail 2 days ago, It's bloomin' mega
though i'm puzzled that most of them end with the "A Columbia Favorite" ending card

Cyberfox~

In the deal with UPA,  Columbia came to own the cartoons outright JUST LIKE they had with the Charles Mintz studio, so when they re-released them they pronounced them 'classics' and slapped the "Columbia Favorite" logo on them. And the Turtle finds it fiendishly funny (and quite just) that as such they're lumped in with the color cartoons of Harrison and Gould!!  :P

[And NO I did NOT say that Columbia came to own the UPA studio like they had ended up owning the Mintz operation. Columbia NEVER owned UPA and then opted NOT to renew the release contract with them and they were left to sink or swim on their own. They sank, while Bugs Bunny and the anthropomorphic cartoon animals which UPA had vilified lived on...] :bugs:.

Thad Komorowski

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 10:32:37 am »
Columbia's reissuing of films was profoundly weirder than other studios. On some of the much later Screen Gems shorts, they would reissue them to theaters with their original opening credits ("Flora", "Lo the Poor Buffal") but tack on a "Columbia Favorite" end title. The carelessness crossed over to their reissues of the UPA shorts. I have "Trouble Indemnity" on film and that print does indeed end with "The End, A UPA Cartoon" (not certain of the exact wording, but you get what I'm saying), not the usual "Columbia Favorite" like on the home video releases.

-Thad
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:35:20 am by Thad Komorowski »

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 06:30:11 pm »

That was a worry of mine as well, though this is normally how TCM handles their shipping by issuing the item with a tracking number 24-48 hours before it actually leaves the shipping dept.

I checked today and it seems like it's finally in transit.

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2012, 04:13:07 pm »
Wow, surprised I got it today.  Then again I used expedited, but still...

No shipping damage outside of a slightly rounded corner.

Thad Komorowski

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2012, 05:16:32 pm »
Got it, and have thoroughly enjoyed the first disc, tremendously! I do hope my opinion can be swayed though... I recall most of the post-"Rooty Toot Toot" cartoons ranging from unremarkable to awful, but I hope some nice restorations will sway me.

Paul Penna

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2012, 07:01:39 pm »
Man, these look great. But think of what they'd be like in Blu-Ray. Oh well, we can dream, can't we?

Sogturtle

• "People Get Ready" (song)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2012, 08:25:17 pm »

Got my copy today and considering that I didn't order it until March 16 they actually did pretty well...  :)

chrisron

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, 07:08:56 am »
Surpisingly the set arrived here in Norway today. I didn't even know they had sent it yet. :)

wundermild

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, 09:25:34 am »
Yet another report that the set has reached Norway today.  :fox: