Author Topic: A new 'Special' set offer... TOON TIME 2014!  (Read 19419 times)

Steve Stanchfield

• View Profile
Re: A new 'Special' set offer... TOON TIME 2014!
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 08:50:49 am »
I gotta tell you, from my side of things, I'm SO GLAD to have all of these out and going to everyone...It takes a long time to get there with each project, and I try to make them better each time- though Technicolor Dreams was a special challenge in that I really wanted them to look as good as possible- and to get specific things for the set. Glad to hear it's cartoon heaven- for me too!

ParamountCartoons

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2014, 08:54:27 am »
you got a PM, Steve!

Retro00064

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2014, 02:26:20 pm »
Thanks for the insight, Steve.

Please answer my PM also when you get a chance.

jaboschen

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2014, 06:34:19 pm »
The Cushman footage is from 1940, at least the Cushman footage that is in this print- it's clearly made later than the original film, and this particular print is from 1940. The 16mm rental prints that I've seen in Cinecolor both are the original edit of the cartoon as far as I can tell. The Official film prints look as if they're a hybrid of both versions.

It's been guessed in the past that these film possibly started their lives as commercials. I can find no indication that they originally were, though it's odd for a character to sing about dough. It was a few more years before Eshbaugh would make an ad. It makes me wonder if he had some sort of deal to get the rights reverted back to him, or if he just bough the films when they became available.. It's a mystery right now, but we do know that this and the 1940 version of the  Sunshine Makers is the one with the Bordon's title. It would be great if some day prints of both emerged with the Rainbow Parade opening.

From my research, I do not believe these films were originally commercial films nor were they originally sponsored by any other companies.  Trade ads from the early 30s advertise them as Rainbow Parade Cartoons that were made by the Van Beuren Corporation for RKO Radio Pictures.  If they were made for a sponsor I imagine the trade ads would have stated they were advertisement films (the way “Kool Penguins” or the Jam Handy Chevy films were advertised in the papers).  In the early 1940’s Business Screen Magazine ran a small announcement (which I have attached) stating that a new film called Pastry Town Wedding was completed for Cushman Sons, indicating that the film was remade/repurposed to be an advertisement film.

In many regards both the versions of each film are really two separate films as the purposes that both versions were created for are dramatically different from each other.  The original 1935 versions which were filmed in Two-color Technicolor were entries in the Van Beuren Rainbow Parade series and were used to compete against Walt Disney’s Silly Symphonies.  The Commericalized re-issue versions of the 1940s were issued in Cinecolor and were reformatted to advertise a brand, not to promote a cartoon series or rage competition against Walt Disney; This can be seen with the extensive work Eshbaugh did on "Pastry Town Wedding".
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:37:37 pm by jaboschen »
My Website: http://www.boschenindustrialcinema.com
Check out my 2011 Documentary "Waltham's Watch": http://vimeo.com/26551740
My on-line Video Portfolio: http://vimeo.com/26551740

DaffyDave

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2014, 06:44:14 pm »
I forgot to get the mail yesterday - and my Toon Time 2014 was in there!  Enjoying it now!

looneytooney

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2014, 09:06:06 pm »
Got my copy! Fantastic job, as always!

ferpme

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2014, 09:32:23 pm »
To those that suggested keeping my home address/mailing address to myself. I DID post it because I thought that I'd get a reaction. But also posted private message AND emails as well....and have not gotten a response from ANY forum.
  Steve: Again....I ordered the dvd, but received the Blu-ray. Want the dvd and will contribute the Blu-ray to a worthy cause or a contest of some sort. But still would like the Blu-ray.

Steve Stanchfield

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2014, 09:20:24 pm »
I have no PM from you or email, though I am inundated with email right now, and am trying to catch up with everything. I'll send the DVD version to you this week. Cheers!

ferpme

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2014, 09:25:47 pm »
 No idea.

Treadwell

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2014, 02:38:00 am »

From my research, I do not believe these films were originally commercial films

My research is zero, but from just watching it, I would agree in this case. Only the inserted product placement struck me for what it was.

I find it VERY odd that they only reanimated the portions of the chef's song at the end that featured the cover of the cook book. It being a continuous shot, they should've redone the entire shot (or scene, in animating parlance). The new stuff doesn't match at ALL. Also interesting that the unaltered portions of this scene were duped with an overwide aperture, with unpainted parts of the cels clearly in frame. If Steve had zoomed the entire short based on that footage, we would have quite a cropped cartoon!

Treadwell

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2014, 02:39:20 am »
Steve, could you tell us more about the reel of Technicolor tidbits? Seems like a spool of censorship trims.

dbear

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2014, 03:10:53 pm »
Received my set! Great mix of toons; some of the colour shorts look absolutely gorgeous in high-def. Thanks, Steve!

Steve, could you tell us more about the reel of Technicolor tidbits? Seems like a spool of censorship trims.

Steve blogged a little about this item here:
http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/a-cinema-paradiso-style-reel-with-cartoon-clips/

Treadwell

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2014, 01:27:01 am »
Thanks, I had forgotten about that post!

Really conservative censor in that town! The girls getting off the train were covered head to toe!

ferpme

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2014, 07:47:36 pm »
And still nothing...see numerous posts above. Supposedly the dvd was sent a month ago? And the bonus disc of Cinema Paradiso stuff that others got? Nothing here.
  Not like I don't order and PAY for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE releases....
 Brian
Omaha.

Steve Stanchfield

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2014, 10:36:56 am »
Hi Ferpme,

The orders that I fall behind on are usually because there was something different about them- something I needed to add, change or find. I've got some things ready to go for you, others (like the DVD version of Toon Time) I need to dub again. I hope to have your stuff out on Friday.