Author Topic: We must support the continuation of the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection!  (Read 16042 times)

Mark The Shark

• View Profile
A point on the superstars series is that the first 2, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck had 2/3 of the cartoons reformatted into a fake widescreen. So to me those 10 cartoons on each disc isn't an official release. By reformatted I mean they took a full screen cartoon and literally cut off the top and bottom to make it look widescreen!

Here's the thing. Cropping post-1953 theatrical films for widescreen on video is now standard operating procedure. In movie-related forums you have what seems like a majority of the people in favor of it, insisting that it's the "original aspect ratio" and maintains the artistic intent of the director. Now, an argument certainly can be made that for films shot in full frame with "safe areas," the full-frame version is just as legitimate since after the brief theatrical run, they would have run on television in 4:3, for the overwhelming majority of the showings for the life of that film, seen in that format many times more than in the "original aspect ratio" -- and in many cases the filmmakers knew that would be the case when they made them.

I think it's clear that the ONLY reason the Looney Tunes Super Stars had a full-screen option added after the Bugs and Daffy releases was because fans and collectors made it known they wouldn't stand for "cropped-only" DVDs, resulting in some bad reviews, negative publicity and maybe lost sales. Otherwise, this was the same as the 1950s Three Stooges shorts and the Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry cartoons being released in widescreen only. To the bean counters, that's just the way they do it now.

Now we just have to do the same thing for Blu-Ray collections consisting of 90% recycled content from DVD collections. But you know, if the Platinum collections haven't met sales expectations, I'm not surprised. Yeah, it's a different format technically, but as has been mentioned before, DVDs will play on Blu-Ray players. I have not made the plunge, but might have by now if the Blu-Rays had all (or at least most) different content from the DVDs. If they were going to repeat the same cartoons, it might have been better-received if they had started out just re-releasing the six Golden Collections in Blu-Ray format. That way, people who want to "upgrade" to Blu-Ray can do so -- though how much of an "upgrade" is it? Enough to justify repurchasing them all? -- and not ticking people off by including a small number of cartoons only available on the new sets.

Reading Bug

• View Profile
Now we just have to do the same thing for Blu-Ray collections consisting of 90% recycled content from DVD collections. But you know, if the Platinum collections haven't met sales expectations, I'm not surprised. Yeah, it's a different format technically, but as has been mentioned before, DVDs will play on Blu-Ray players. I have not made the plunge, but might have by now if the Blu-Rays had all (or at least most) different content from the DVDs. If they were going to repeat the same cartoons, it might have been better-received if they had started out just re-releasing the six Golden Collections in Blu-Ray format. That way, people who want to "upgrade" to Blu-Ray can do so -- though how much of an "upgrade" is it? Enough to justify repurchasing them all? -- and not ticking people off by including a small number of cartoons only available on the new sets.

The problem with the Platinums wasn't any single factor, but rather several independent ones that made success extremely difficult. For one thing, they didn't continue the Golden Collection format which turned off collectors anticipating new films. For another, they included two or three new films per set in a disingenuous attempt to lure collectors to an HD repurchase they didn't want to make (turning them off further). For a third, they didn't invest in the overall future of the Looney Tunes, which is what they seemed to be doing with the GCs just a few years before: they spread out the best cartoons with average and below-average ones to progressively move the catalog out; even sticking to restored cartoons only, they could have mirrored the GCs and it might have lasted longer. For a fourth - and most importantly - they didn't seem to mind continuing with an outdated sales model. The customer base is likely made up of general consumers who may be unaware of previous releases and want DVDs (which might explain the rush to get a DVD version of Platinum 1 out), general consumers who know they have What's Opera Doc but might welcome something new, general consumers who want Blu-rays and collectors like us. That's a lot. To put out a single release to satisfy them all is asking a lot.

The only thing they had going for them was low restoration costs but, of course, that couldn't have lasted. The whole effort seemed like a strict business decision to milk the Looney Tunes in HD for all they could with as little investment as monetarily possible. And that's what it smelled like from day one.

red_demon

• View Profile
I don't thinks all see what I mean by "Reformatted". There is widescreen and fullscreen.  For the most part, movies was made in widescreen. To watch the movie on TV, the suits made it fullscreen.  Widescreen is the way the movie was made and officially released. When the movie was released to TV they formatted to a fullscreen which crops the left and right of the original. "Reformated", hence my complaint is, they take a fullscreen and crop to make a widescreen, which loses the top and bottom of the frame.

NicKramer

• View Profile

The problem with the Platinums wasn't any single factor, but rather several independent ones that made success extremely difficult. For one thing, they didn't continue the Golden Collection format which turned off collectors anticipating new films. For another, they included two or three new films per set in a disingenuous attempt to lure collectors to an HD repurchase they didn't want to make (turning them off further). For a third, they didn't invest in the overall future of the Looney Tunes, which is what they seemed to be doing with the GCs just a few years before: they spread out the best cartoons with average and below-average ones to progressively move the catalog out; even sticking to restored cartoons only, they could have mirrored the GCs and it might have lasted longer. For a fourth - and most importantly - they didn't seem to mind continuing with an outdated sales model. The customer base is likely made up of general consumers who may be unaware of previous releases and want DVDs (which might explain the rush to get a DVD version of Platinum 1 out), general consumers who know they have What's Opera Doc but might welcome something new, general consumers who want Blu-rays and collectors like us. That's a lot. To put out a single release to satisfy them all is asking a lot.

The only thing they had going for them was low restoration costs but, of course, that couldn't have lasted. The whole effort seemed like a strict business decision to milk the Looney Tunes in HD for all they could with as little investment as monetarily possible. And that's what it smelled like from day one.

The biggest problem was that people kept whining about this realease without being specific and we got a condensed version on regular DVD.  If some folks would've explained to Warners more clearly and didn't act like spoiled brats, we  would've gotten a smaller "Golden Collection 7" with the "new" Platnum content and probably the full screen prints of the cartoons that were widescreen on the first two "Super Star" cartoons.

Reading Bug

• View Profile
Considering WHV's rapid response to getting a Platinum DVD out, I think most of the whining came from general consumers unaware (or forgetful) of previous releases. I still think it's really strange there was such a demand when all six Golden Collections were, and still are, in print. Not to mention other, more distilled best-ofs released over the years like the Spotlight Collections. Collectors certainly have those cartoons already.

In the end, the market is just oversaturated (which is why specifically-aimed releases, like you suggest, is what's needed now). But WHV apparently doesn't get it.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:26:49 pm by Reading Bug »

Leviathan

• View Profile
Reading Bug, as usual, makes the most sense out of anyone in this thread.

The thing is, you don't only have the Platinum Collections. You have the Super Stars sets, the Essential Bugs and Daffy sets, those three-cartoon cheapo discs (Looney Tunes Unleashed, etc.), miscellaneous titles like Mouse Chronicles and that recent "Best of WB" compilation. And out of those, not a single one is truly aimed at collectors the way the Golden Collection's were. It's a complete mess.

Much of the problem is that the "Family" division is in charge of things now; without George Feltenstein as a guiding light, they don't have a clue about how to handle the remaining films.

NicKramer

• View Profile
Let me know when you two get jobs at Warners Family Division.

speedy fast

• View Profile
Much of the problem is that the "Family" division is in charge of things now; without George Feltenstein as a guiding light, they don't have a clue about how to handle the remaining films.

If only Warner Home Video would hire the guy who made the Bugs Bunny Video Guide. He compiled a way that Warner could realistically get almost all of the remaining shorts with the main characters released as part of the Super Stars sets without much repetition.

Here's the link: http://www.dohtem.com/bugs/superstars.htm

NicKramer

• View Profile

If only Warner Home Video would hire the guy who made the Bugs Bunny Video Guide. He compiled a way that Warner could realistically get almost all of the remaining shorts with the main characters released as part of the Super Stars sets without much repetition.

Here's the link: http://www.dohtem.com/bugs/superstars.htm

Yeah, I can see that can work, but what about something like "Hare'um Scare'um"?  For a cartoon that had it's long lost ending painstakingly re-attached, I really can't see it being pushed to the Warners Archive.   
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 08:47:01 am by NicKramer »

ForumDocXV

• View Profile
I hope the Platinum Collections will include all 5 cartoons featuring Porky's girl friend Petunia Pig.

*Porky's Romance (1937)
*The Case Of The Stuttering Pig (1937)
*Porky's Double Trouble (1937)
*Porky's Picnic (1939)
*Naughty Neighbors (1939)
I'm not just a fan of classic golden age animation, I'm also a fan of video games, anime, and modern animation (both 2D and CGI animation).

tonyboy85

• View Profile
Does anyone want to post more discussions in this thread?

Takeshi55

• View Profile
I think the next big LT release should have a whole disc dedicated to one-off MMs and another disk with BW LTs. Maybe Platinum collection 4 (3 to me seems like it will be another re-release fest), so they would go along with this guide: http://www.dohtem.com/bugs/superstars.htm (I know it was linked before).

eutychus

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
    • View Profile
    • The Internet Animation Database
Okay, I've had to remove two posts here already because of incivilities. Let's keep it polite here.

tonyboy85

• View Profile
Note: the release date written here is the U.S.A. release date.

8/12/2014 is the release day for the "Looney Tunes Platinum Collection: Volume 3",
& when that day comes, go to the stores and buy it right away! (you can immediately buy it online too!)
& If WB sees that this blu-ray has good sales, they could create a Volume 4!

So be ready to buy the 3rd volume right away!

Takeshi55

• View Profile
I was thinking of getting it on Amazon.co.uk, but I can't pre-order it here.