Author Topic: Thunderbean Fundraiser finishing over the weekend; What would you do next?  (Read 10025 times)

Steve Stanchfield

• View Profile
Re: Thunderbean Fundraiser finishing over the weekend; What would you do next?
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2013, 10:05:21 pm »
You can find the Cubby disc on Amazon- looks like Macinac Media must have donated copies to GOODWILL since the son of the owner was given the company! Mackinac is selling them too for cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000E5N6GG/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1358478177&sr=8-1&keywords=cubby+bear&condition=new

Bryan_Brown

• C. Aug. 20.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2013, 01:39:51 am »
You can find the Cubby disc on Amazon- looks like Macinac Media must have donated copies to GOODWILL since the son of the owner was given the company! Mackinac is selling them too for cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000E5N6GG/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1358478177&sr=8-1&keywords=cubby+bear&condition=new

What a revolting display of disrespect for your work.  :tweetie:
Formerly Daff Doc.

Steve Stanchfield

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2013, 08:50:28 am »
Nah- it's not SO bad.... here's the thing about distribution: the person/company/group that is working with the distributor/ company generally doesn't get a lion's share of the money is residuals.  One of the things that happens in contacts is that the distributor puts language in the contract agreement that puts them at a great advantage- finding ways to pay out as little residual as possible. If you have a good lawyer you can try to get some of that language changed, and that can have a great deal of impact on how much is actually made.

Often the big difference is in where the percentage of the profit is coming from. Net profit vs. gross profit. If the percentage that is being given to the licensee is from the 'net' profit, any and all expenses can be deducted from the gross profit before the residual is paid. So, let's say a disc of PD Popeye cartoons (I'm not sayin' what one) sells 12,000 copies, and the residual deal is 50% of net profit. The 'gross profit' (if not defined in the contract) could be calculated based on costs of actual goods vs. money brought in from the sale of those goods). Adjusted net profit 'could' include the salary of everyone working at the company, rent, heat, advertising, etc...) depending on how the company defined it. So, on the books, the net profit off the 12,000 copies could be, let's say, $4,000.  Now, the 'true' profit based on a real percentage of what resources were used actually could of course be very different.

The movie 'Mighty Joe Young' did decent business at the box office, but because it was the only movie in release from the tiny (at this point) RKO studio, the studio calculated ALL the studio running expense to this film, making the movie (on paper) lose money- even though most of those costs were not directly related to the film at all!

That said, I think it's safe to say a disc of Cubby bear cartoons will never be a great seller, but you could say that about almost any of the titles Thunderbean has done, but working as a small company selling directly through Amazon, the business model in working much better.

The other issue with distribution ( with dvds ) is that they can be priced at any price point, so if a volume seller doesn't care if they made only a small profit, they sell the dvd at barely above their cost (sometimes making up for that by charging too much for shipping).

This is why I distribute myself right now. That may change at some point, but the model is sort of working..just taking a lot of time!

The one thing I really DO like is that it's easy now to see all the Cubby Bear cartoons.

"It's never too late for Cubby!"  Cubby is 80 this year!!!

ryanhoek

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2013, 12:04:45 pm »
Egad!  That is a fraction of what i paid for it. I hope you saw some of the profits before they started dumping them on the market.
Like everything else you have done you can be proud of the work you put into the Cubby dvd :)

ferpme

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2013, 06:35:49 pm »
If it helps...just bought one of the Cubby discs....have a few holes in my past "Bean" collection to fill...and just filled this one. More to come. Cheap, yes. But...it will be loved.

Yowp

• View Profile
    • Yowp
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2013, 02:10:18 am »
You can find the Cubby disc on Amazon

Hi, Steve. I realise that but as I am unable to deal with them. Besides, I'd prefer to cut through the middle man and give the money directly to the company that restored them.

Yowp

Bryan_Brown

• C. Aug. 20.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2013, 03:42:27 pm »
You can find the Cubby disc on Amazon

Hi, Steve. I realise that but as I am unable to deal with them. Besides, I'd prefer to cut through the middle man and give the money directly to the company that restored them.Yowp

For once, there's a good attidude Yowpie.  ;D
Formerly Daff Doc.

Cartman

• View Profile
    • The Heather Comics
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2013, 11:03:15 pm »
I'd love to see a Talkartoons set, although most of those are probably not in the public domain. 

Anyway, for a more plausible set:

PD Warners (including Censored 11)
Alice Comedies
PD Terrytoons
Lantz
Screen Songs

wundermild

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2013, 04:49:28 pm »
Cartoons for Victory finally arrived in Norway the other day. Congratulations to Steve for a very fine DVD set. I showed "Dr. Churkill" to a colleague from Italy the other day and he was stunned that a film like this exists.
Thanks to Steve also for the fundraiser DVDs that arrived with the same mail - just because of the "Texas" cartoon  :tom: I from now on refer to these discs as Thunderbean's Golden Collection.
Oh, and the world definitely needs more Scrappy cartoons uncovered.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:51:00 pm by wundermild »

Woody Woodpecker

• Researchers
  • 11th Incarnation
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2013, 05:12:42 pm »
The disc has now arrived in Iceland.
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton
"Empty paper, means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one" ~ Doc Brown form Back to the future Triology

Steve Stanchfield

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2013, 07:17:50 pm »
...and, again, rare cartoons are seen around the world, as it should be!  :popeye: