Poll

Which of the two features from Fleischer Studios is the best?

"Gulliver's Travels" (1939)
0 (0%)
"Mr. Bug Goes to Town" (1941)
8 (50%)
Both
3 (18.8%)
Both doesn't hold a candle to Fleischer's earlier Koko the Clown, Betty Boop, and Popeye shorts
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: "Gulliver's Travels" or "Mr. Bug Goes to Town"  (Read 2246 times)

SockPuppet

• View Profile
"Gulliver's Travels" or "Mr. Bug Goes to Town"
« on: November 05, 2012, 01:48:33 pm »
Both films recently aired on TCM about two weeks ago and recently watched "Mr. Bug Goes to Town" again last Saturday,

I've tried to watch "Gulliver's Travels", but couldn't get into it since the characters were either dull, especially Gabby who was just annoying, and felt like it tried too hard to emulate Disney.

"Mr. Bug" was a bit more enjoyable, which had if memorable scenes from Mr. Hoppity being electrocuted at the club and seeing the insects  trying to avoid danger during the construction towards the end. Smack the Fly and Swat the Mosquito are good comedic henchmen. 

The film flopped due to the attacks of Pearl Harbor. I've wonder how it would've been if had been released earlier or 1942. 

The scene with Hoppity crossing the street reminds me of "Mouse in Manhatten" and "Mickey's Delayed Date".
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:58:50 pm by SockPuppet »

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
Re: "Gulliver's Travels" or "Mr. Bug Goes to Town"
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 02:43:16 pm »
I like both of them!

I hope either Olive or Warner can release an authorize edition of Mr. Bug (they both have a deal with Paramount).

Steve Stanchfield

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 02:48:44 pm »
I really love both of them, but Mr. Bug is right up there with Pinocchio to me. That print on TCM was absolutely beautiful. Print of Gulliver not so much so- a good 16mm- looked like the Paramount 16mm neg from the late 70's that 'Reel Images' released (or the IVY films 16mm rental print that was around that time).  Still looked nice. Did a little bit of a disservice to the film though I thought.

I've been debating putting out a Gulliver in HD. Have access to a 35mm IB technicolor print now as well as some xtra reels to fix anything that may need fixing...then again, there's a million versions of Gulliver available, but that BluRay one was terrible!

King Delbert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 04:11:01 pm »
Mr. Bug definantly, dispite reviews and aerage reviews.  Oh, and I recorded the TCM event when it aired on DVD (original titles and all).  I'm in no rush for these movies to come out on DVD, even by Thunderbean.

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 04:16:59 pm »
I say "Mr. Bug" as the characters were more appealing and the story was more memerable.  I just wish Paramount didn't kick out the Fleischers as I have the feeling that had they done a third film, they might have done something as impressive as "Bambi".

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 04:18:58 pm »
I've been debating putting out a Gulliver in HD. Have access to a 35mm IB technicolor print now as well as some xtra reels to fix anything that may need fixing...then again, there's a million versions of Gulliver available, but that BluRay one was terrible!

Yeah, the Blu-ray was bad and they even promised the widescreen version would have 50% of more image and it wasn't. The only best release to get is the 60th Anniversary release from WinStar because even though they have 5.1 and Stereo remixes with added sound effects, the original mono is included. Seriously, Olive, Warner, or even Thunderbean should release a better Blu-ray. Though Steve, I say release a DVD version first and work your way up for the Blu-ray release once you have enough more money from the sales of the DVD version.

King Delbert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 04:46:17 pm »
I say "Mr. Bug" as the characters were more appealing and the story was more memerable.  I just wish Paramount didn't kick out the Fleischers as I have the feeling that had they done a third film, they might have done something as impressive as "Bambi".

Such as perhaps turning Casper the Ghost (The Friendly Ghost) into a theatrical full length feature instead of a series of short subject?  Just a what if type question you know.

Mario500

• Doing "The Mario" on the keyboard
    • View Profile
    • Television and Radio in Southwest Alabama
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:18:46 pm »
I saw "Mr. Bug Goes to Town" for the very first time when Turner Classic Movies presented it recently and found it very nice, entertaining, and suspenseful. I became interested in the movie after finding references to it on sites such as the Golden Age Cartoon Forums long ago.

As for "Gulliver's Travels", I still find the movie nice and entertaining after having seen it a few times in the past (through the Cartoon Network, American Movie Classics, a commercial video cassette, and Turner Classic Movies). While comparing the movie to "Mr. Bug Goes to Town", I thought the latter had more appealing characters.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 06:21:53 pm by Mario500 »

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 01:16:41 pm »

Such as perhaps turning Casper the Ghost (The Friendly Ghost) into a theatrical full length feature instead of a series of short subject?  Just a what if type question you know.

Yeah, that probably would worked.  It's plot might have been similar to "Ghost of the Town".

Gabrielkat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 04:26:11 pm »
Yeah, the Blu-ray was bad and they even promised the widescreen version would have 50% of more image and it wasn't. The only best release to get is the 60th Anniversary release from WinStar because even though they have 5.1 and Stereo remixes with added sound effects, the original mono is included.

Or you could look for the 2000 Hal Roach Studios/Image Entertainment DVD release, since it has the film mastered from an original 35mm Technicolor nitrate print, and it even includes the film's original theatrical trailer (which WinStar didn't bother to include on their disc).

If Gulliver's Travels ever does get authorized DVD and Blu-ray releases, they should have the film presented in its original full screen format (and with the original mono sound), and include the film's theatrical trailer, all of the Gabby cartoons, and the Animated Antics cartoons featuring Sneak, Snoop and Snitch and Twinkletoes.
"The dirty f**k!" (Bosko's Picture Show, 1933) :bosko:

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 08:06:55 pm »
Well, maybe Olive Films will do an offical release of these films, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

J. J. Hunsecker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 02:33:44 am »
Mr. Bug is definitely better than Gulliver's Travels, but both films don't hold a candle to the earlier Popeye and Boop cartoons. So I voted the latter.