Author Topic: New Looney Tunes Movie?  (Read 3517 times)

rrfan3267

• Researchers
    • View Profile

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
Re: New Looney Tunes Movie?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 09:57:48 pm »
Yeah. Not too crazy about this. If it was Live Action/2-D Animated like Back In Action then maybe.

King Delbert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 10:41:07 pm »
Get out your barf bags

Brandon Panther

• R.I.P. GAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:49:40 am »
I've already made the following statements on Facebook, but I guess they bear repeating here:

* I like Back in Action. But my main complaint with the film has always been that the story leans too much on the human characters, and not the Looney Tunes who SHOULD be the stars of the film. If this film is more about the Looney Tunes, and less about a couple of humans that nobody cares about, this film may be okay. Has to have a decent story too. And of course, be funny.

* If they cast actual voice actors (preferably Joe Alaskey, Bob Bergen, Jeff Bennett, and Billy West) as the Looney Tunes, I will give the movie a shot. But, the second they announce that people like Justin Beiber or Chris Rock are doing the voices, I'm steering clear of this film full stop. I still haven't seen the Yogi Bear movie, and probably never will.

* Although WB is advertising this Jenny Slate from SNL as the film's screenwriter, something needs to be kept in mind. Back in Action has Simpsons writer Larry Doyle as the sole writer for the film in the end credits. Remember that Doyle only wrote the plot, and overview of the whole film. After that, a bunch of uncredited writers took over the script, which of course got meddled to death by execs (although SOME of the changes they demanded were understandable, but nonetheless many changes were unnecessary). Even though they're saying Slate is writing the screenplay, I'm dubious as to how great her involvement is. Will she really be sitting down penning down an entire script, or is she just coming up with a plot outline, like what Doyle did, and is then passing it off to some poor schmucks to connect the dots?

* The Looney Tunes in CGI. I'm leery of this. If the CGI is as good as it is in Matthew O'Callighan's shorts, then MAYBE there will be hope. But I'm incredulous about the whole thing.

* I didn't say this on Facebook, but it is something I've been pondering about. Jerry Beck's only reaction to this news was a simple "Uh-Oh". I've always found Beck to be a pretty open-minded person. So, when something seems to worry him, or if he has a low opinion of something, that's usually a red flag right there.

Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 01:05:43 am »
I've already made the following statements on Facebook, but I guess they bear repeating here:

* I like Back in Action. But my main complaint with the film has always been that the story leans too much on the human characters, and not the Looney Tunes who SHOULD be the stars of the film. If this film is more about the Looney Tunes, and less about a couple of humans that nobody cares about, this film may be okay. Has to have a decent story too. And of course, be funny.

* If they cast actual voice actors (preferably Joe Alaskey, Bob Bergen, Jeff Bennett, and Billy West) as the Looney Tunes, I will give the movie a shot.
Hopefully Bill West WON'T spew off his mouth about John Kricfalusi if he hears a word of priase from some earger caertoon fan and hopefully Joe Alaskey gets to voice a friendlier verison of Daffy. Hey..if Janet Waldo or someone elsxe form that era now usually associated with WB were doing the voices, I know some of us who might even consider it sa boon. (BTW I enjoyed the 2-D "Mel Blanc archive" Wacky Daffy short, "Dafyf's Rhapsody:" that premiered this year with "Journey to the Earth".)

jaboschen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 07:02:39 am »
Here is an article on the Hollywood reporter regarding the "reboot" movie.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/looney-tunes-jenny-slate-371643

Personally I think they should just re-issue their library of classic cartoons to theaters...
My Website: http://www.boschenindustrialcinema.com
Check out my 2011 Documentary "Waltham's Watch": http://vimeo.com/26551740
My on-line Video Portfolio: http://vimeo.com/26551740

King Delbert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:24:52 am »
Oh no, no NO!!!

According to Jerry Beck, this chick was in the recent Alvin and the Chipmunks movie and the movie is gonna combine live action with CGI.

If the CGI is Road Runner/ I Taw a Putty Tat / Daffy's Rhapsody then great, but if it's like Alvin and the Chipmunks, we're F'd

Mario500

• Doing "The Mario" on the keyboard
    • View Profile
    • Television and Radio in Southwest Alabama
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:42:50 am »
^Calm down. All we could do is ignore the movie and hope its creators realize we have more than enough "Looney Tunes" movies all ready to last several more generations and that they be focusing on new creations instead of taking any more chances with "Looney Tunes" characters.

Here is an article on the Hollywood reporter regarding the "reboot" movie.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/looney-tunes-jenny-slate-371643

Personally I think they should just re-issue their library of classic cartoons to theaters...

This may be a good idea for keeping folks in movie theaters longer in between main feature (the folks may choose to take breaks in movie lobbies in between features). The same could be done with new short animated movies.

DaffyDave

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 11:30:31 pm »

ditto.  I would pay for any movie with certain re-issues of the classic library as an opening short (assuming CN hasn't over-played it to death).  I may not stay for the feature, but that alone would be worth the cost of the ticket. 

vdubdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 07:47:55 pm »

ditto.  I would pay for any movie with certain re-issues of the classic library as an opening short (assuming CN hasn't over-played it to death).  I may not stay for the feature, but that alone would be worth the cost of the ticket.

I don't know. Even a short that's over-played on TV would still be fantastic to see on the big screen.

What I don't get is this: why not revive the cartoon revue? We've seen their trailers and opening sequences on the Golden Collections. If I saw that advertised in my local paper, I'd be beating down the theater door to buy tickets.

wiley207

• I'm back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 08:48:36 pm »
Hmm... I seem to recall back in 2008, they were developing a similar live-action/CGI movie about Marvin the Martian (possibly voiced by Mike Myers) attempting to ruin Christmas, but instead he gets trapped in a package...

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117989712

Then they also planned similar films for Speedy Gonzales (to be possibly voiced by George Lopez) and Bugs Bunny (don't ask...)

Maybe they decided to combine them all into one?
Still sounds like a bad idea to me. This is even worse than CGI talking animal movies we've seen taking the animation world by storm since 2002 ("Ice Age," "Madagascar," "Over the Hedge," "Finding Nemo," "Open Season," "Surf's Up," "Kung Fu Panda," etc.)

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 09:04:03 pm »
This is even worse than CGI talking animal movies we've seen taking the animation world by storm since 2002 ("Ice Age," "Madagascar," "Over the Hedge," "Finding Nemo," "Open Season," "Surf's Up," "Kung Fu Panda," etc.)

You got that backwards, those films are awesome (to me anyway). And FYI, it was Pepe Le Pew Mikey myers was going to voice, not Marvin The Martian.

Brandon Panther

• R.I.P. GAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 12:36:37 am »
This is even worse than CGI talking animal movies we've seen taking the animation world by storm since 2002 ("Ice Age," "Madagascar," "Over the Hedge," "Finding Nemo," "Open Season," "Surf's Up," "Kung Fu Panda," etc.)

You got that backwards, those films are awesome (to me anyway). And FYI, it was Pepe Le Pew Mikey myers was going to voice, not Marvin The Martian.
You're both right. There were plans at different points for a Marvin Martian movie and a Pepe Le pew movie, with the idea of Mike Meyers doing both roles. It seems both film ideas fell through the cracks. Thank God.

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 11:14:50 am »
That's right.  If I recall, we were suppose to have that Marvin film by now. 

wiley207

• I'm back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 11:52:05 am »
That's right.  If I recall, we were suppose to have that Marvin film by now.

Either they decided to thankfully scrap it, or they're going to merge it into this new Looney Tunes film by now.

Oh and Toonatic, I forgot all about that Pepe Le Pew movie idea  :P
Mike Myers would probably be worse than Rene Auberjonois (Rene's not a BAD Pepe, but I prefer hearing him as that crazy Chef Louie from "The Littler Mermaid!")