Author Topic: Egghead's brother "Elmer"  (Read 3982 times)

duck dodgers

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Egghead's brother "Elmer"
« on: September 13, 2012, 04:43:27 am »
I've always been interested in the story of Elmer Fudd being Egghead's brother while in the past there was the false myth of Elmer being the evolution of Egghead.
I've seen the Barrier's document which clearly describes "Egghead's brother" as the male lead of "Cinderella meets Fella" and the images Jerry posted on Cartoon Brew which shows "Egghead's brother" as Elmer.
Plus I remember having seen a lobby card of "The Isle of Pingo Pongo" where Egghead's brother is indicated as Elmer.
Then, of course, Egghead's brother appears as Elmer Fudd in "A Feud there Was".
If I'm correct, Egghead appeared in "Egghead rides again", "Daffy Duck and Egghead", "A-lad in Bagdad" and "Count me Out" while the other cartoons ("Little Red Walking Hood", "Cinderella meets Fella".....) featured Egghead's brother then known as Elmer and finally as Elmer Fudd.
Essentially, Elmer looks like Egghead but is bald,usually wears green and has a derby. Egghead, on the other hand, is a toupeed fellow with wide eyes I wonder if anyone can post the "Pingo Pongo" lobby and if there's other material around that shows that Elmer was Egghead's brother.
I remember David (which I'd love to read on the matter) wrote that there's quite an amount around of 1938-1939 publicity material that indicates "Egghead's brother" as our Elmer.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:20:45 am by duck dodgers »

Mac

• View Profile
Re: Egghead's brother "Elmer"
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:26:45 am »
I found a pic of the Pingo Pongo lobby card, but it's tiny and lo res:

http://www.thestarlite.ca/pics/isletitle.jpg

The character is clearly labeled 'Elmer' here.

Paul Penna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 02:45:43 pm »
Can DNA be extracted from cartoon cels? That's the only way we'd know for sure.

duck dodgers

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 06:38:31 am »
Can DNA be extracted from cartoon cels? That's the only way we'd know for sure.
LOL ;D
Anyway wouldn't be great to have Elmer Fudd as next Looney Tunes Superstar DVD set character?
They could also include the "complete filmography of Elmer's own toupeed brother, Egghead" (4 cartoons).

Der Captain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:54:17 am »

The character from "Egghead Rides Again" has no toupee and looks exactly like the character from "Cinderella Meets Fella", "The Island of Pingo Pongo" and "A Fued There Was".

Brandon Panther

• R.I.P. GAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:10:54 pm »
It's really hard to tell though if the whole "This character is Egghead, the other is his borther" is what the creators of the cartoons felt, or if that's how the marketing department saw them.

Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, and Chuck Jones always referred to them as being one in the same character.

Thad K once said that "Confederate Honey" was originally indended to star the actual Egghead character, not "Elmer".

It would be nice if an actual model sheet of "Elmer" could surface, one from the actual cartoons, and see if it's labled "Elmer". THAT I think would put the whole thing to bed.

DaffyDave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 03:38:40 pm »
The rules of determining which was which was explained to me in no uncertain terms by one of the experts (David G. perhaps?).  I can't remember if it was on this board or GAC.

duck dodgers

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 03:54:28 pm »

The character from "Egghead Rides Again" has no toupee and looks exactly like the character from "Cinderella Meets Fella", "The Island of Pingo Pongo" and "A Fued There Was".

Very strong resemblance (after all they are brothers ;D) but he does not look the same. He's wide-eyed.

Brandon Panther

• R.I.P. GAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 11:48:49 pm »
A better image of the Pingo-Pongo lobby card can be found in Chuck's book "Chuck Amuck".

wundermild

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 03:10:56 am »
... or, thanks to the wonders of reverse image searching, online at http://www.ferris.edu/JIMCROW/cartoons/46.jpg.

speedy fast

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 04:26:09 pm »
 This is a bit confusing. Long before I saw that they are (supposedly) different characters, I wondered why Egghead had hair in some cartoons and was bald in others. Some people here referred to it as a toupee... Was it really? Not counting Egghead Rides Again (where he's bald the whole time) in the cartoons I've seen his hair stays on the whole time. I would have expected it to come off at least once, whether deliberately or by some accident (in Count Me Out it should have at least fallen off his head while he was learning to box).

Also, Egghead and "Elmer" both seem to have different personalities. Egghead seems to be more the straight man type (like the later Elmer Fudd that we all know, but smarter) while his brother acts really goofy and wacky. Even in Egghead Rides Again, where he's bald (but referred to as Egghead) he seems to have "Elmer"'s personality. In fact early "Elmer Fudd" and the Elmer Fudd we all know better don't really share any personality traits (when I first read about Elmer having evolved from Egghead I didn't really notice any similarities aside from them both being bald. At the time I hadn't seen any of the shorts where Elmer dressed like his earlier counterpart).

I knew that Egghead, err, Elmer was called Elmer on "The Isle of Pingo Pongo" poster and was labled Elmer Fudd in "A Feud There Was", but for some reason I thought that was a joke/gag. Even though Elmer Fudd doesn't sound like a pun or parody name or anything like that. I've read that the early Elmer was also sometimes referred to as Egghead's cousin instead of brother. I've seen a script outline for "Cinderella Meets Fella" which refers to him as "Egghead's brother", with no name attached (I guess he wasn't named at the time). And yet if they really were meant to be brothers/cousins, they should have made at least one cartoon where they both appear together, to avoid confusion. It's even more confusing when Egghead's brother appeared alongside Elmer Fudd in one of the 1990s/2000s Looney Tunes comic books.

It's also interesting that one episode of Tiny Toon Adventures had a bald human child named Egghead Jr., who I assume was mean to be based on Egghead/Elmer's brother (back when I first saw the episode, and hadn't seen any Egghead shorts, I thought he was based on Elmer Fudd, at the time not realising that Elmyra was based on Elmer).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:27:47 pm by speedy fast »

captchuck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 06:58:52 pm »
I'm not sure that I buy into the idea of them being different characters. I don't think anybody at the studio cared about the character until the cuter Elmer of "Good Night, Elmer" and "A Wild Hare" could be more successfully merchandised.