You're an Education (1938) - MISSING FOOTAGE - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RossBoyle  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2019 6:02:21 AM(UTC)
RossBoyle

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello there. I am writing to this forum as I am wondering: Does anyone have an idea what the missing footage from 1938's You're an Education(cut from the Blue Ribbon reissue) is. I know about nearly a minute is missing from the Blue Ribbon. I am just wondering what the missing footage (that's if a pre-BR print, most than likely in my opinion). As the cuts in the first half, make the first half nearly unwatchable in my opinion. It's too fast to comprehend. Thank you.
Kristjan  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2019 9:20:19 AM(UTC)
Kristjan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RossBoyle Go to Quoted Post
Hello there. I am writing to this forum as I am wondering: Does anyone have an idea what the missing footage from 1938's You're an Education(cut from the Blue Ribbon reissue) is. I know about nearly a minute is missing from the Blue Ribbon. I am just wondering what the missing footage (that's if a pre-BR print, most than likely in my opinion). As the cuts in the first half, make the first half nearly unwatchable in my opinion. It's too fast to comprehend. Thank you.

lost sequence?
According to the book Frank Tashlin by Roger Garcia, "several shots (including a caricature of Hugh Herbert) totaling 67 feet (approx. 45 seconds) were removed for this film's 'Blue Ribbon Special' reissue in 1946." The bulk of these cuts appear to take place primarily towards the beginning of the cartoon, specifically during the montage sequence featuring brouchures of various world destinations accompanied by a song germane to that place. Some of the brouchures are bridged with dissolves, others with fade-outs. Some of the fade-outs, however, appear to allude to obvious edits. Later in the cartoon, another apparent edit occurs. This takes place during the "Yuba Plays the Tuba" sequence in which a shot of a Native American fish (representing the "Indian" Ocean) abruptly fades to black and quickly fades into Lawrence Tibbett in Tibet

Note above form the GAC archive censor page.
ToonStar95  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2019 10:27:26 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kristjan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RossBoyle Go to Quoted Post

lost sequence?
According to the book Frank Tashlin by Roger Garcia, "several shots (including a caricature of Hugh Herbert) totaling 67 feet (approx. 45 seconds) were removed for this film's 'Blue Ribbon Special' reissue in 1946." The bulk of these cuts appear to take place primarily towards the beginning of the cartoon, specifically during the montage sequence featuring brouchures of various world destinations accompanied by a song germane to that place. Some of the brouchures are bridged with dissolves, others with fade-outs. Some of the fade-outs, however, appear to allude to obvious edits. Later in the cartoon, another apparent edit occurs. This takes place during the "Yuba Plays the Tuba" sequence in which a shot of a Native American fish (representing the "Indian" Ocean) abruptly fades to black and quickly fades into Lawrence Tibbett in Tibet

Note above form the GAC archive censor page.

I also noticed a fade-out at the ending, where it fades to black as the Thief of Baghdad's turban flies through iris-in.