Cartoon Discussion of the Month 2/2/19: Who Killed Who? - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OutOfOdor  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2019 8:15:04 AM(UTC)
OutOfOdor

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 68 post(s)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4830ti
Release Date: June 5, 1943
Direction: Tex Avery
Story: uncredited on circulating copies, apparently Rich Hogan
Animation: no animators credited, but likely Ray Abrams, Preston Blair and Ed Love
Music: Scott Bradley
Film Editor: Fred MacAlpin
Backgrounds: probably Johnny Johnsen
Cast: Robert Emmett O'Connor (host, live-action), Billy Bletcher (detective, laughter, Santa), Kent Rogers (The Victim, Red Skeleton, falling body), Sara Berner (screams, cuckoo clock)
Summary: A portly detective tries to solve a murder mystery in a haunted house.
Useless Tidbit of Information You Probably Know Already But I'm Posting It Here Anyway:l the falling body gag (minus the "Ah, yes!" line of dialogue) was used by Warner Bros. in So You Want to be a Detective? (1948), a Joe McDoakes comedy starring George O'Hanlon. Probably coincidental, but still worth mentioning.

This month's entry happens to be one of my favorites from the genius that was Tex Avery, a perfect cartoon for viewing around Halloween, or any time really. This is one of his earliest cartoons for MGM, and one of his best IMO, with laughs practically every fifteen seconds! A great twist at the end, a live-action intro, self-referential book covers, trademark Avery signs... so much I love about this one. Words kinda fail me here, but feel free to discuss below.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 20, 2019 10:17:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
ToonStar95  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2019 11:30:35 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 110 post(s)
I agree. Most of the gags here hit bullseyes and is guaranteed to have you at least snickering all the way through. I think my favorite gag has to be the murder victim suddenly getting up to pose for his picture ("Now let's not get nosy, bub!").

What I also like about it is the musical score (sans title cues) is performed on an organ to spoof radio mystery programs, but it still has the trademarks of Scott Bradley's repertoire (i.e., the sexy theme that plays when the pinup poster appears).
Toadette  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2019 9:09:42 AM(UTC)
Toadette

Was thanked: 234 time(s) in 193 post(s)
For what it's worth, magnil posted an extended Twitter thread in which he tried to break down who animated what, you can see it here (he indeed guesses Abrams, Blair, and Love). https://twitter.com/ma_x...tatus/912685850336550912
thanks 2 users thanked Toadette for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 2/4/2019(UTC), OutOfOdor on 2/5/2019(UTC)
OutOfOdor  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 7:42:46 AM(UTC)
OutOfOdor

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toadette Go to Quoted Post
For what it's worth, magnil posted an extended Twitter thread in which he tried to break down who animated what, you can see it here (he indeed guesses Abrams, Blair, and Love). https://twitter.com/ma_x...tatus/912685850336550912

Thanks for the link! Interesting that some of the drawings of the detective (albeit with alterations) showed up in Preston Blair's famous animation book.
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 8:27:52 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

Was thanked: 117 time(s) in 89 post(s)
is the detective in this cartoon a caricature of the detective from The Laurel and Hardy Murder Case (1930)?
DevonB  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 10:28:07 AM(UTC)
DevonB

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Originally Posted by: VoiceTalentBrendan Go to Quoted Post
is the detective in this cartoon a caricature of the detective from The Laurel and Hardy Murder Case (1930)?

That's correct, the detective is indeed based on character actor Fred Kelsey.
Mesterius  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:28:13 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 223 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OutOfOdor Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Toadette Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for the link! Interesting that some of the drawings of the detective (albeit with alterations) showed up in Preston Blair's famous animation book.

Weren't the drawings in the first (1947) edition of that book the original ones? I know Blair made changes for the later edition (so that no one would sue him for the use of the Disney and MGM characters, I suppose), but the first edition seems to use the original artwork: http://web.archive.org/w...lairs-animation-1st.html