The Cartoon Discussion of the Week Stagnation Theorization - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PopKorn Kat  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 8:02:31 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 393 time(s) in 278 post(s)
In their (sorry if I got your pronouns wrong) recent CDotW for the 1954 Famous Studios short "Crazytown", OutOfOdor questioned why the threads weren't getting much attention. I had some theories, but I didn't want to derail from the topic in question.

The most likely reason for the lack of activity on the CDotW section is that this forum simply doesn’t get much activity, and the members that are active are too busy to contribute to such a thread.

These days, most people prefer to have convos about animation on sites like Discord, Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook. Unfortunately, all of those places have their problems. I’ve run several moderately successful Discord servers in the past, but the IAD one I launched back in late December-early January barely got any activity and was eventually deleted. Most of my friends are on Twitter and respond quickly to my posts, but the 280-character limit is still meager. Then there’s Tumblr, which is…honestly the same deal as Twitter. You do get a bigger character limit, for what it’s worth. Facebook is such a cesspool that I don’t bother with it, period.

The other theory I have is that these CDotWs were started at a bad time. School starts in the United States soon, and people who are in high school or college probably don’t have time to contribute discussion to an animation thread!

Now…as for what OutOfOdor is doing wrong…I do feel they're a bit too pushy on wanting people to comment. To me it feels like guilt-tripping, which I absolutely despise.

Because of these factors, I think that these CDotWs should be reduced to once a month. That’s more reasonable for the hectic schedule some members have.
--
If you have any questions or rebuttals about these points, please reply.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 28, 2018 8:05:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked PopKorn Kat for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 8/28/2018(UTC)
nickramer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 5:04:14 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 234 post(s)
I got a question. If a short (or two) gets inducted to "The National Film Registry" at the end of the year, can it (or one of them) be January's discussion?
PopKorn Kat  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 6:43:13 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
I got a question. If a short (or two) gets inducted to "The National Film Registry" at the end of the year, can it (or one of them) be January's discussion?

That's up to OutOfOdor, but personally I'd be okay with that, though since most of the shorts inducted are "well-known" among these parts, I'd also like some lesser-known shorts sprinkled in to spice things up.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 29, 2018 6:43:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nickramer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 10:07:52 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 234 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post

That's up to OutOfOdor, but personally I'd be okay with that, though since most of the shorts inducted are "well-known" among these parts, I'd also like some lesser-known shorts sprinkled in to spice things up.

Okay. I just hope we don't do a series of Daffy & Speedy cartoon discussions again. How could I forget those needlessly series of threads on the old TTTP forum?
OutOfOdor  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 8:57:04 PM(UTC)
OutOfOdor

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat Go to Quoted Post

Okay. I just hope we don't do a series of Daffy & Speedy cartoon discussions again. How could I forget those needlessly series of threads on the old TTTP forum?

Fret not, Nicky Nome, because I'm not going to be doing discussions on those, nor the DFE/Format Films/Rudy Larriva Road Runner cartoons.

Actually, I'm willing do the Discussions monthly, since now that you mention it, it would give users more time to post their thoughts. Going it weekly might seem like too little time, considering some user's schedules.

And about discussing a short inducted into the National Film Registry, if any do this year- I will think about it and I'll PM PopKornKat my final decision.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 29, 2018 9:00:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
thanks 1 user thanked OutOfOdor for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 8/29/2018(UTC)
eutychus  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 4:50:35 AM(UTC)
eutychus

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Administrators, Moderator, WebsiteAdmin
Man
United States

Was thanked: 503 time(s) in 340 post(s)
I tend to agree with PopKorn Kat's post ... that the forum really doesn't get that much traffic and that most of the social media action is happening on Facebook, Twitter, Tumbler and what have you. The main reason I set up this forum was so that the researchers for the IAD could have a place to discuss things about the website itself. Then once the GAC forums got shut down we offered to have a place for them to congregate again, but the diaspora there proves to thin out the lot too much.

But one thing I learned from doing websites over the years is that you really can't do it expecting people to fawn over you in amazed wonderment and gratitude. You kinda have to do it for yourself and let your own passion for whatever project you're doing drive you. I will try to promote it a bit more on what social media I use, but keep at it and let's see what happens.

I do have a couple of small quibbles about your entries, but I will private message those to you.
thanks 1 user thanked eutychus for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 8/31/2018(UTC)
PopKorn Kat  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 9:22:55 AM(UTC)
PopKorn Kat

Woman
United States

By the way, Pat...can ya fix the garbled description for this forum?

Quote:

Here, member we Tunes Fan feature a different cartoon every week for your delight, edification and discussion.