Cartoon Discussion of the Week 8/13/18: "A Ceruza es a Radir" (An Eraser and... - Forum.
OutOfOdor
2018-08-13T14:28:23Z
Hello! Aloha! Konichiwa! Guten Tag! Hi! and welcome to the first ever NEW Cartoon Discussion of the Week in literally YEARS!! I'm your host, OutOfOdor, and every week (ah hope ah hope ah hope) I'll be talking with you about a different cartoon, old or new, familiar or obscure. But before we plunge into the cartoon I've chosen myself for discussion, let's lay down some rules:

1. Stay on topic. Talk all you want about the selected cartoon, the animation, the gags, the music, any interesting gaffs you might come across... but there's no reason to somehow go into discussing something totally different than the selected cartoon, like, say, going from discussing "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery" to the flypaper scene in "Playful Pluto".

2. No flamewars. That should be self-explanatory.

3. Say something positive about the cartoon at hand- if you can. Say negative things all you want about it, but make sure to say at least one positive thing about it, if you can.

4. Don't just say something simple like "I like it" or something in that same vein! Tell us why you like it.

Now that I've gotten the rules out of the way, let's get to the cartoon.

https://videa.hu/videok/...zfilmek-oymUmXZ9ZvCBd5sB 
"A Ceruza es a Radir" (An Eraser and a Pencil)
Alternate Titles: Eraser and Pencil (title when released as part of Flamingo Telefilms cartoon package)
Release Date: 1960
Studio: Pannonia Filmstudioban
Direction: Macskassy Gyula
Story: Varnai Gyorgy
Animation: Maday Grete, Szabo Szabolcs, Batay Eva, Kiss Bea, Borsoti Istvanne, Spitzer Kati, Egresi Erzsebet, Szekely Gaborne, Mata Janos, Szemenyei Andras, Voros Gizella
Vocal Effects: Varganyi Laszlo
Music: Ilosvay Gusztav
Summary: An eraser and pencil have a falling out after some creative differences.

No doubt 99.9% of you probably haven't seen this foreign gem, because this cartoon isn't American, British, or even French of origin, but from Hungary. This neat cartoon, however, was part of the Flamingo Telefilm cartoon package, and that's how I know about this cartoon. There's a lot I like about it, especially the minimalist score, and some very inspired "meta" gags (ever see Bugs Bunny climb up the film to get back to a certain point in the cartoon?). Thanks to "dbear" for posting the link to this.

'til next week, this is OutOfOdor signing off, and if he had some sand, he'd would really go for a sandwich- if he only had a witch!!
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
PopKorn Kat
2018-08-14T04:16:30Z
I've edited the topic title to include the name of the animation being discussed.
Nicholas DS
2018-08-16T22:39:32Z
I have every intention of watching this video for discussion tomorrow after work. Things have been so crazy busy lately! I have never heard of this short and I am looking forward to sitting down and enjoying it properly. Thank you so much for bringing it to our attention 🙂
OutOfOdor
2018-08-18T00:49:27Z
Originally Posted by: Nicholas DS 

I have every intention of watching this video for discussion tomorrow after work. Things have been so crazy busy lately! I have never heard of this short and I am looking forward to sitting down and enjoying it properly. Thank you so much for bringing it to our attention :)



You're welcome! It'd be great to hear yours, and others thoughts about this obscure little masterpiece.
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
Nicholas DS
2018-08-18T23:58:44Z
I thought this little stop motion film was really adorable! I really enjoyed how it seemed to exist somewhere between the 3rd and 2nd dimension, which was really reflected in how the characters interacted with the world around them.

I'm not sure if the fact that the pencil and eraser wore themselves down was meant to convey that fighting with friends shortens your life or if simply it was used to show the passage of time. For example when eraser looks up at pencil and notices how short he has become, is he realizing that they have been fighting for a long time now and it's time to give it up and make peace? So that part seemed unclear to me.

Thank you for sharing 🙂
OutOfOdor
2018-08-20T17:17:09Z
Originally Posted by: Nicholas DS 

I thought this little stop motion film was really adorable! I really enjoyed how it seemed to exist somewhere between the 3rd and 2nd dimension, which was really reflected in how the characters interacted with the world around them.

I'm not sure if the fact that the pencil and eraser wore themselves down was meant to convey that fighting with friends shortens your life or if simply it was used to show the passage of time. For example when eraser looks up at pencil and notices how short he has become, is he realizing that they have been fighting for a long time now and it's time to give it up and make peace? So that part seemed unclear to me.

Thank you for sharing :)



I think the wearing down is supposed to represent the former.
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
Nicholas DS
2018-08-20T22:06:18Z
Ah what a riveting discussion haha. Better luck with this coming week?
OutOfOdor
2018-08-21T00:31:08Z
Originally Posted by: Nicholas DS 

Ah what a riveting discussion haha. Better luck with this coming week?



Hopefully. Maybe if we had more users and more activity we'd have more discussion.


"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)