Popeye The Sailor - The 1940's Volume 2 is coming- Page 6 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
7 Pages«<4567>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HeySteve  
#101 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2019 2:43:35 AM(UTC)
HeySteve

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I finally got a copy. Best Buy originally estimated delivery on July 8, but once it shipped out, they changed that estimate to July 5, but then it just so happens that the USPS delivered it to my door this afternoon, July 3.
Lee B  
#102 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2019 11:25:35 AM(UTC)
Lee B

United States

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 26 post(s)
I'm testing some new Blu-ray software, so I figured I'd snag some HD grabs for everyone. Just a random mish mash of stuff.

Love the look of the flame coming out of his pipe. Textured stuff like that, especially flames look really great on the Blu. The big snowball chasing Olive down the ski slope looked great too, but I couldn't find it when I was grabbing shots.

fire

This scene from Island Fling inside the alligator/crocodile was always really dark and nasty in existing prints...no more.

fling

Popeye's outfit is blue. They certainly didn't do that very often.

piano

Close ups look really great, terrific detail. I had some other stuff in mind, but couldn't find them when I was testing the software, so you get this one.

hair

And this one...I admit, I didn't realize Popeye and Bluto were so close...

pals

Edited by user Thursday, July 4, 2019 11:31:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Added comments for each photo.

thanks 7 users thanked Lee B for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 7/4/2019(UTC), Ken Layton on 7/4/2019(UTC), Gnik_LJN on 7/4/2019(UTC), Mesterius on 7/4/2019(UTC), MTGM on 7/5/2019(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 7/18/2019(UTC), Jonathan Wilson on 7/19/2019(UTC)
Kristjan  
#103 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 9:49:49 AM(UTC)
Kristjan

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski Go to Quoted Post
I can't believe that anyone who has seen how incompetent/lying corporations can be would actually be in favor of having those incompetent, lying corporations even more in control of content through streaming.

I see no logic in supporting streaming, considering where I live movies tend to disappear from the service at a given time, while DVDs and Blu-rays don't.
thanks 3 users thanked Kristjan for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 7/18/2019(UTC), Jason Todd on 7/18/2019(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 7/18/2019(UTC)
Kristjan  
#104 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 8:42:55 AM(UTC)
Kristjan

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Volume 3 was comfirmed on Stu Show.
thanks 2 users thanked Kristjan for this useful post.
Toonatic on 8/1/2019(UTC), Ken Layton on 8/1/2019(UTC)
nickramer  
#105 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 11:10:55 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 222 post(s)
I'm assuming this will include "Olive Oyl for President" (1949).
SuperMuppet64  
#106 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:53:59 PM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Man
United States

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 25 post(s)
volume 3 is expected to be released before the end of the year as per stu's show
Mesterius  
#107 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 7:19:08 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 113 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kristjan Go to Quoted Post
Volume 3 was comfirmed on Stu Show.

It's been confirmed a long time ago. ;)
Pasko  
#108 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2019 6:34:24 AM(UTC)
Pasko

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have finally been able to see these cartoons restored and oh my, they are stunning, I have to say. For instance, I must have watched "The Royal Four-Flusher" so many times I know it by heart, but seeing the restored version was like watching an alternative, better version of it.

That being said, there is always something for nit-pickers, and I'll take that role here and point out some things which haven't been yet discussed. Leviathan has already stated that "Rocket to Mars" and "All's Fair at the Fair" look a bit worse than the other cartoons. The truth is that the quality varies from title to title, but Mars is definitely the worst-looking cartoon. Don't get me wrong - it's nowhere near bad, but also nowhere near "Wotta Knight", for instance. The colors are all there, but not the clarity. Can anyone confirm whether there were different elements used or the negatives just vary in coniditon?

The sound quality has definitely taken a turn to the worse compared to Vol. 1. That release had only three cartoons whose audio stood out: "The Anvil Chorus Girl" (very distorted original track which should have been replaced), "She-Sick Sailors" (presumably the same element which Turner used in the 1990s) and "For Better or Nurse" (you know about that one).
Here, almost every cartoon seems to sound different as if its audio was sourced from a different place. "Service with a Guile" has its original audio but does not sound so well with a lot of hissing noise in the background. "Peep in the Deep" and "Rocket to Mars" sound no better than they did on old TV prints so they also definitely weren't sourced from the originals. The biggest offenser is "All's Fair at the Fair" as it's so fuzzy and low - you actually have to up your volume after the tacked on title theme ends. As for the other cartoons which miss their original cues, Rodeo and Flusher sound fine while the other two not so much and were probably sourced from TV prints we are used to seeing. That's especially obvious on "The Island Fling", whose bloated soundtrack is the same that can be heard here.

Another word on the sound editing. The recreated closing cues are really lame. They just took the closing from "Abusement Park" and used it all four times. A little bit of inventiveness would have been appreciated, especially since the majority of the cartoons end with a rendition of The Sailor's Hornpipe. That's obvious on "The Island Fling", whose ending completely doesn't fit. There are many things you could do with it: for instance, take Peep in the Deep's ending and scale the pitch higher a bit. Voila, you have something that fits. This is just lazy editing. Also, to better fit the iris outs, they cut a snippet from Rodeo and echoed the ending for Fling.

I should also mention that several cartoons have subsituted audio on the openings and for two reasons. It's off-sync on "Abusement Park" by a few frames and I find it a bit hilarious that instead of plastering the whole theme on "Rodeo Romeo" like they did on the others, they decided to use the a.a.p. master for the titles' opening and closing and use another source for the credits title. I hope the sound editing gets a bit better and more original materials are found for the next volume because those Polacolor titles really sound worn out.

Some of you may see this audio rant the post has turned into as completely unnecessary, but I would disagree. These cartoons' visuals are represented immaculately, so when the sound does not follow suit it does stick out. I hope the three cartoons which Thad (btw, Thad, the story of how you found them would probably make a great blog post) has found cues for get them when they eventually get rereleased on some platform, but that would really be a surprise as most people disregard the sound in the overall presentation, even though they shouldn't.

Edited by user Sunday, August 11, 2019 6:35:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Pasko for this useful post.
Jason Todd on 8/11/2019(UTC)
Jason Todd  
#109 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2019 6:52:44 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pasko Go to Quoted Post
Leviathan has already stated that "Rocket to Mars" and "All's Fair at the Fair" look a bit worse than the other cartoons. The truth is that the quality varies from title to title, but Mars is definitely the worst-looking cartoon. Don't get me wrong - it's nowhere near bad, but also nowhere near "Wotta Knight", for instance. The colors are all there, but not the clarity. Can anyone confirm whether there were different elements used or the negatives just vary in coniditon?

Rocket to Mars and All's Fair at the Fair look slightly grainier than the other shorts because they were produced in Cinecolor, rather than Technicolor. So, technically, they should look like that.
Pasko  
#110 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2019 7:27:57 AM(UTC)
Pasko

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Then why do Peep in the Deep and Abusement Park look much better? They were also produced in Cinecolor.Think
Jason Todd  
#111 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2019 8:49:50 AM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Pasko Go to Quoted Post
Then why do Peep in the Deep and Abusement Park look much better? They were also produced in Cinecolor.Think

Good question.
Thad Komorowski  
#112 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 3:03:37 AM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 38 post(s)
They probably won't be correcting those cues ever. I had offered them For Better or Nurse, to at least use/update the track for whatever archival master there is, and it was curtly declined, they "don't want to revisit that title." Sorry, I tried!
thanks 5 users thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 8/12/2019(UTC), Jason Todd on 8/12/2019(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 8/12/2019(UTC), Pasko on 8/13/2019(UTC), Ken Layton on 8/17/2019(UTC)
Mesterius  
#113 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 6:31:20 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Thad Komorowski Go to Quoted Post
They probably won't be correcting those cues ever. I had offered them For Better or Nurse, to at least use/update the track for whatever archival master there is, and it was curtly declined, they "don't want to revisit that title." Sorry, I tried!

This is the kind of stuff you'd hope at least Warner Archive would care about. The Pink Panther Blu-rays have included corrected versions of some films in the special features of subsequent volumes. Why not do the same for the Popeye releases (where there's obviously room for more shorts on each disc)?
Jason Todd  
#114 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 1:36:58 PM(UTC)
Jason Todd

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
Why not do the same for the Popeye releases (where there's obviously room for more shorts on each disc)?

'Cause they're lazy? Duh. 😜
Mesterius  
#115 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 8:24:22 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Jason Todd Go to Quoted Post
Why not do the same for the Popeye releases (where there's obviously room for more shorts on each disc)?

Warner Archive at least doesn't use DVNR, which some of the Pink Panther Blu-rays sadly have. But yeah, that's probably the number one reason.
nickramer  
#116 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 11:09:10 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Or probably cause they didn't want to go though similar problems again like the Porky set.
Mesterius  
#117 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 3:54:45 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post

Or probably cause they didn't want to go though similar problems again like the Porky set.

What "similar problems"? We're talking about correcting cartoons with errors in them. That's exactly what they didn't do with Porky Pig 101.
nickramer  
#118 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 10:24:47 AM(UTC)
nickramer

I meant releasing quantity over quality.
Mesterius  
#119 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 9:22:33 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: nickramer Go to Quoted Post
I meant releasing quantity over quality.

Then I don't quite understand what you mean in the context of this discussion. We were talking about how it's sad that Warner/WAC doesn't want to revisit and correct opening title cues for the already-released Popeye cartoons.
az0o0o0zi  
#120 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 9:24:32 PM(UTC)
az0o0o0zi

Saudi Arabia

BREAKING NEWS!

Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s, Volume 3 cover art is finally here!

CLICK HERE!

Edited by user Saturday, August 17, 2019 9:29:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified