Warners releases clip from the new Looney Tunes - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lee B  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2019 6:07:06 AM(UTC)
Lee B

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Bugs and Elmer in "Dynamite Dance"...

thanks 4 users thanked Lee B for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 6/13/2019(UTC), Mac on 6/14/2019(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 6/15/2019(UTC), kintutoons32 on 6/17/2019(UTC)
Mesterius  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 12:19:52 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 113 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lee B Go to Quoted Post
Bugs and Elmer in "Dynamite Dance"...

Amazing animation! One thing though, I think this is a full short and not just a clip. When the new Looney Tunes were announced last year, they explained that the cartoons would be between 1 and 6 minutes in length.

By the way, Cartoon Brew has a full write-up about yesterday's Looney Tunes premiere in Annecy, which of course included this short as well as 9 others. Amid is excited. :) Screenshots from two other shorts can be seen there as well.
Mac  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 12:27:42 AM(UTC)
Mac

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Oh wow! This really had me smiling. Lovely, lovely stuff.
Mesterius  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 12:48:18 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Hmm, may have to correct myself. Jerry Beck's Animation Scoop describes this as "a special excerpt" of the 'Dynamite Dance' short. Whereas Cartoon Brew presents it as the full short. Amid attended the premiere, so not sure what to make of it. I would like it if this turns out to be, say, the middle of a cartoon with more story and buildup before the frenzy of gags. But since titles and end credits are included as well, it does feel like a complete short.
wiley207  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 2:36:40 AM(UTC)
wiley207

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Beautiful animation (done in North America, no less!), AND they got Warner Bros. veteran composer Carl Johnson to do the music! Could this mean he and the orchestra will be working on the impending "Animaniacs" revival coming out next year?
In this and the Porky/Daffy one, I did notice some familiar classic Warner Bros. sound effects, but they also used quite a few of those "Cartoon Trax"/Disney sound effects as well, as if it were the 90s Chuck Jones WB shorts. At least it beats having Advantage Audio and their repetitive H-B sound effects! Now if only Warner's post-production facility could get access to those classic Treg Brown/WB sound effects NOT on the Sound Ideas WB CD set (I know DigiPost.TV has several of them in their archives.)
Mesterius  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 3:47:39 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: wiley207 Go to Quoted Post
Beautiful animation (done in North America, no less!), AND they got Warner Bros. veteran composer Carl Johnson to do the music! Could this mean he and the orchestra will be working on the impending "Animaniacs" revival coming out next year?
In this and the Porky/Daffy one, I did notice some familiar classic Warner Bros. sound effects, but they also used quite a few of those "Cartoon Trax"/Disney sound effects as well, as if it were the 90s Chuck Jones WB shorts. At least it beats having Advantage Audio and their repetitive H-B sound effects! Now if only Warner's post-production facility could get access to those classic Treg Brown/WB sound effects NOT on the Sound Ideas WB CD set (I know DigiPost.TV has several of them in their archives.)

Who were the animators? Disappointingly, they aren't named in the credits... all we get is "Animation Services: TONIC DNA" as well as some animation supervisors.

Also..."the Porky/Daffy one"?? Have they released footage from another short already?
ToonStar95  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 4:53:04 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 110 post(s)
Browngardt said that some shorts will be animated in-house, and others at four studios around the world.

The "Porky/Daffy one", Wet Cement, has animation done at WB.
Mesterius  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 5:01:05 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: ToonStar95 Go to Quoted Post
Browngardt said that some shorts will be animated in-house, and others at four studios around the world.

Thanks. With the title, I was able to find the leaked clip (filmed off of Annecy's theater screen), which originated on Cartoon Brew's Twitter. Now why didn't they include this in the post on their main site...?

Interesting that you say "at WB". I didn't know Warner Bros. had many 2D animators in-house. Might Spike Brandt have animated on this?
ToonStar95  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 5:35:33 AM(UTC)
ToonStar95

Man
United States

Was thanked: 142 time(s) in 110 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ToonStar95 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks. With the title, I was able to find the leaked clip (filmed off of Annecy's theater screen), which originated on Cartoon Brew's Twitter. Now why didn't they include this in the post on their main site...?

Interesting that you say "at WB". I didn't know Warner Bros. had many 2D animators in-house. Might Spike Brandt have animated on this?

Nah, Michael Ruocco (who also boarded the short) said he animated the scene.
Thad Komorowski  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 10:16:03 AM(UTC)
Thad Komorowski

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 38 post(s)
WB did the important pre-production work on "Wet Cement" - the posing/staging, direction, writing. It was animated at Yowza Animation in Toronto. Per Amir Avni, who worked on it, here are credits for the clip in question:

"The early part is by Bob Jaques with cleanup by Josh Hill and me. The later part is by Blair Kitchen with cleanup by Chang Dai. My animation is earlier in the short. Roger Chiasson supervised animation and Claude Chiasson supervised cleanup. Claude's spot keys really helped us make it look like it was drawn by one hand."

The other animation studios are Snipple in the Philippines and Tonic DNA in Montreal.

Edited by user Friday, June 14, 2019 10:37:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked Thad Komorowski for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 6/14/2019(UTC), eutychus on 6/14/2019(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 6/15/2019(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 6/23/2019(UTC)
Mesterius  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 11:23:08 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

I really hope this is not how the end credits will be presented for all the films. The animators were the first thing I looked for in the credits to "Dynamite Dance", and they weren't even mentioned by name. How does it even remotely make sense in this day and age to keep the names of the actual animation artists unknown?
ohmahaaha  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2019 4:50:48 AM(UTC)
ohmahaaha

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Made me laugh!
Mesterius  
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2019 9:45:25 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

This reaction video to "Dynamite Dance" touches on something that I'm slightly concerned about too: will Elmer be allowed to carry a gun in the new cartoons? In DD he has a scythe, in the screenshot from another as-of-yet unnamed short he wields an axe. I hope it's just coincidence, but really, why wouldn't they use a gun in such a classic setup as "Dynamite Dance"?

UserPostedImage
Mesterius  
#14 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 8:44:57 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Info from Jerry Beck on the release plans for these cartoons (written five days ago in a comment to this Cartoon Research Facebook post):

Quote:
They will mainly be released, en masse, on the new Warner streaming service next year. One or two may be released by year's end theatrically - that hasn't been confirmed yet. They may release one (maybe this one, or maybe an official clip) this week as a teaser. Shhhh!
thanks 2 users thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
WaltWiz1901 on 6/18/2019(UTC), Mac on 6/19/2019(UTC)
fulano7  
#15 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 10:45:31 AM(UTC)
fulano7

Man
Brazil

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Wow!.. Impressive effort. This short looks like Clampett's "A Corny Concerto".

I know that it can be controversial, but personally, I like the Tom & Jerry Show, as an example of an O.K. revival of a golden age series in my POV. "New Looney Tunes" (previously named "Wabbit") on the other hand, feels strange to me, lacking something. This clip shows that the upcoming Looney Tunes Cartoons got THAT ONE THING right that "New Looney Tunes" didn't: the soundtrack. That's the key factor, for me, that makes the new T&J episodes superior (much more enjoyable than NLT).

NLT lacks soundtrack terribly, its episodes all feel strange with so many mildly-violent jokes happening silently. This "Dynamite Dance" not only has great soundtrack but great animation as well: thin lines, wild takes, great fluidity. Of course, nothing will be like the original LT shorts but this upcoming new series looks like a worthy revival.
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
thanks 2 users thanked fulano7 for this useful post.
cartoon981002 on 6/17/2019(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 6/18/2019(UTC)
Mesterius  
#16 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 8:13:29 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: fulano7 Go to Quoted Post
Wow!.. Impressive effort. This short looks like Clampett's "A Corny Concerto".

I know that it can be controversial, but personally, I like the Tom & Jerry Show, as an example of an O.K. revival of a golden age series in my POV. "New Looney Tunes" (previously named "Wabbit") on the other hand, feels strange to me, lacking something. This clip shows that the upcoming Looney Tunes Cartoons got THAT ONE THING right that "New Looney Tunes" didn't: the soundtrack. That's the key factor, for me, that makes the new T&J episodes superior (much more enjoyable than NLT).

NLT lacks soundtrack terribly, its episodes all feel strange with so many mildly-violent jokes happening silently. This "Dynamite Dance" not only has great soundtrack but great animation as well: thin lines, wild takes, great fluidity. Of course, nothing will be like the original LT shorts but this upcoming new series looks like a worthy revival.

The number one problem with The Tom and Jerry Show is that the digital cut-out animation looks so awful. You can't do Tom and Jerry with cheap digital puppetry. I don't care for Wabbit/New Looney Tunes, but at the very least its animation is hand-drawn. The earlier T&J series Tom and Jerry Tales, while far from perfect, was a million times better than The Tom and Jerry Show.
Slowly I Turn  
#17 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 8:47:07 PM(UTC)
Slowly I Turn

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Cautiously optimistic. The characters look right (yellow gloves?)and great use of music. I hope they aren't all this frantic and allow room for the characters to come out through clever dialogue and expressions and stay away from crude humor. At first glance it looks a lot better than the last couple of attempts.
Mesterius  
#18 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 9:20:30 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Slowly I Turn Go to Quoted Post
The characters look right (yellow gloves?)...

Bugs used yellow gloves in a small number of early, classic-era shorts, so there is precedent for this. But I don't see why they have (apparently) decided that he will have yellow gloves in all of these new shorts. I think the white gloves look better.
nickramer  
#19 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2019 11:28:14 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 274 time(s) in 222 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Slowly I Turn Go to Quoted Post
The characters look right (yellow gloves?)...

Bugs used yellow gloves in a small number of early, classic-era shorts, so there is precedent for this. But I don't see why they have (apparently) decided that he will have yellow gloves in all of these new shorts. I think the white gloves look better.

I believe Bugs' gloves were yellow in most merchandise around that time including the Dell comic books.
Mac  
#20 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2019 3:37:52 AM(UTC)
Mac

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 50 post(s)
I'm really eager to see more of these shorts. I still can't quite believe that new, high quality, fully animated Looney Tunes cartoons are in production.

All the early reports I've read have been really, really positive like this one below (some spoilers):

https://oneofus.net/2019...w-looney-tunes-cartoons/
thanks 2 users thanked Mac for this useful post.
Mesterius on 6/30/2019(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 6/30/2019(UTC)