Cartoon Discussion of the Month (Nov. 2018): The Pointer - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OutOfOdor  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2018 9:57:44 PM(UTC)
OutOfOdor

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 69 post(s)
https://www.b98.tv/video/pointer/
Production Company: Walt Disney Productions
Release Date: July 21, 1939
Direction: Clyde Geronomi
Story: George Stallings
Animators: Norm Ferguson, Preston Blair, Ollie Johnston, Frank Thomas, Shamus Culhane, George Goepper, Claude Smith, Lynn Karp, Lester Novros, John Lounsbery
Effects: John Meador, Art Palmer
Layout: Dave Hilberman (?)
Backgrounds: ?
Music: Paul Smith (uncredited)
Film Editor: Jimmy MacDonald (uncredited)
Voice: Walt Disney (Mickey Mouse)
Summary: Misadventures ensue when Mickey and Pluto go hunting quail.
Interesting Tidbit You May Already Know But I'm Posting Here Anyway: Rumor has it that during the scene where Mickey encounters the bear, Walt's gestures when recording the dialogue were later used by the animators doing the sequence.

This month's cartoon is considered by many to be a turning point in the life of Mickey Mouse, mainly because of the fact that this is the one where Mickey's eyes changed from "pie-eyes" to regular human eyes (but you knew that already, didn't you?). The most interesting thing about it for me is that the fact that Mickey is apparently a celebrity in the cartoon world as well as in real life, as shown in the sequence when he first sees the bear, and tries to make him aware that he's the one-and-only, genuine Mickey Mouse, in the flesh!

Another very interesting thing about this cartoon is the fact that it's more of a Pluto cartoon than a Mickey cartoon, although Mickey plays a prominent role in the film. Makes me wonder if this was a tryout of sorts for a solo series for Pluto.

The animation is also great to watch, courtesy of several of Disney's most celebrated artists (Fergy, Frank, Ollie), and some which later went on to blossom at other studios (Preston Blair, Shamus Culhane). One particular sequence where I find the animation to be brilliant is the brief scene of Pluto sniffing and walking towards the camera, by Norm Ferguson. The backgrounds are also brilliant, albeit from an unknown (at least to me) painter. The scoring is also pleasant, and Walt's voicing of the world's most famous Mouse is a delight to listen to.

Note that some of these credits are taken from Graham Webb's "Animated Film Encyclopedia", and as such might be wrong.

Edited by user Sunday, November 4, 2018 10:01:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
thanks 2 users thanked OutOfOdor for this useful post.
VoiceTalentBrendan on 11/4/2018(UTC), WaltWiz1901 on 11/5/2018(UTC)
nickramer  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2018 10:22:32 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Groups: Registered, Researcher

Was thanked: 281 time(s) in 227 post(s)
This is probably one of my favorite Mickey shorts. Always like the scene where Mickey realizes that the bear was behind him. I wish the footage of Walt recording his lines for this short would turn up.