Cartoon Discussion of the Month 9/4/18: "Anchors Aweigh" - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OutOfOdor  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2018 8:23:07 PM(UTC)
OutOfOdor

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Before I proceed with the current discussion, I've got a little announcement I'd like to make: the Cartoon Discussion will now be monthly instead of weekly. Now, on with our regularly scheduled programming:

(note: not entire sequence.)
Release Date: July 19, 1945 (US release date)
Direction: William Hanna, Joseph Barbera
Animation: Ken Muse, Ed Barge, Mike Lah, Ray Patterson, Irv Spence
Story: Isobel Lenart
Music: Georgie Stoll
Original Song: Sammy Fain, Arthur Freed
Voices: Sara Berner (Jerry, Squirrel), ? (Owl)
Actor (live-action) Gene Kelly
Summary: Kelly tells a story of how he once visited a land where music and singing were forbidden.

This month's entry may seem unusual, as it's not really a full-fledged cartoon, rather it's a live action/animation sequence from a live-action feature film from the 1940s. However, it's probably one of the best known examples of live action actors and animated characters interacting with each other in film: the "Worry Song" sequence from the Gene Kelly flick "Anchors Aweigh". I don't own this movie on DVD, but I do have this sequence on the DVD "Tom and Jerry's Greatest Chases", and it's pretty amazing. I find the story to be very cute, the animation great, but of course, what takes the cake is the breathtaking combination of live action with animation, especially in the part where Kelly teaches King Jerry how to sing and dance via "The Worry Song". Brilliant stuff.
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)