PatrickM
2021-05-22T22:09:09Z
Hashtags may now be applied to any cartoon by any logged in user. It's a new system so we're still playing with it so let me know if you have any issues with it!
PopKorn Kat
2021-05-23T07:00:55Z
I have several questions:
  • What is the purpose of this system? What can hashtags be used for? Can they be full sentences, or just single/multiple words? (i.e., "gun")
  • Is a search engine going to be implemented for this system in the future?

eutychus
2021-05-23T23:39:40Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

I have several questions:

• What is the purpose of this system? What can hashtags be used for? Can they be full sentences, or just single/multiple words? (i.e., "gun")
  • Is a search engine going to be implemented for this system in the future?

It's so entries can be given a theme, so say if you looked at "The Old Mill" and wanted to see other cartoons about windmills, the hashtag would take you to that listing. I would prefer just single words or short phrases and a search engine will be implemented although I'm having a bit of a problem now withe the listing only showing the last item. Still working on that.
Toonatic
2021-05-26T23:39:44Z
I'm not really comfortable about this idea unfortunately.
eutychus
2021-05-27T14:55:59Z
Originally Posted by: Toonatic 

I'm not really comfortable about this idea unfortunately.

Please ... defend your thesis.
PopKorn Kat
2021-05-28T07:05:02Z
Maybe in the event where there are a lot of hashtags, thought could be given into allowing users to categorize them? (i.e., objects, settings, locations)

Also, there doesn't appear to be any functional purpose for the hashtags having to have a pound sign (#) preceding them. Isn't that the sort of thing that should be added automatically when you input a new hashtag?

(Not knocking this idea; it's a good one. Some bugs may need to be ironed out, however.)
nickramer
2021-05-28T19:18:21Z
I'm more worried about some users doing one single hashtag en masse (i.e. hundreds per day) such as #dogs or #cats.
S. C. MacPeter
2021-05-28T19:42:09Z
I like the idea, but I'm not so sold on it yet. I'm worried, like Nic, about mass usage of one hashtag a day. Also a little uncertain on how practical it would be, considering some hashtags could be cluttered or little used, or even not correctly applied in certain cases. I don't know, it just feels like too big a mess to try out
PopKorn Kat
2021-05-28T20:51:52Z
Funny about Nic's post: one of the questions I was considering asking was about adding hashtags to an entry en-masse, but I can understand the concerns about spam.
eutychus
2021-05-30T18:27:39Z
I don't think these are going to be an issue. Firstly, the reason for the hashtag in the front is just internet convention. I do need to make a way for it to be added automatically.

As far as people adding them en masse, I don't think that's going to be a problem. I hear Nic's concern. For those of you who don't know, Nick pretty much takes it on himself to check the updates every day and point out any errors he might find. So I can understand his concern about peopl adding hundreds per day. That's one of the reasons I didn't start a system where you could add them in a batch. Users would have to add them individually which would be time consuming if someone were to want to add hundreds a day. I don't think it's going to happen, but we'll have to keep an eye on it to see how the system works out and how much it is used.