Jerry Beck on Stu's Show - 8/5/20 - Forum.
mellongraig93
2020-07-23T09:48:16Z
Well it's the summer visit from the King of All Things Cartoons himself, and here's the description:

"Jerry's back for his usual summer visit, and although we won't have a lot to talk about regarding the latest in feature animation releases due to COVID-19, there is still plenty to discuss in the wonderful world of streaming. In fact, we WILL chat about what features, both current and classic are indeed available for you to watch online. We'll also review some of the new Looney Tunes cartoons available via HBO Max, plus mention the newest books available, and give you the latest news in home video, including Thunderbean's new Popeye Blu Ray. In addition, Jerry will screen three classic cartoons from his own archives and we'll read your e-mails!"

https://www.stusshow.com/ 
Ian L.
2020-07-23T15:39:57Z
Will Jerry be in-studio or are they doing it via Zoom like everything these days?
mellongraig93
2020-08-05T10:58:54Z
As far as I know, he will be in studio just like the last appearance he was on. Stu doesn't use Zoom, he uses Skype for guests that can't make it in person (although he went off on a rant on the previous show with regards to Skype).

Speaking of e-mails, today is the day to send in e-mail questions to Jerry (but keep them brief if you can).
mellongraig93
2020-08-05T22:09:28Z
Here's the video link to watch the program that will start in less than an hour:

https://iframe.dacast.com/b/92970/c/447572 
mellongraig93
2020-08-05T23:08:21Z
And here we go! Hopefully though Stu's Show won't come to an end at the end of this year if the election goes well...

After talking about Jerry's teaching classes virtually including 4 days per week at a class at UCLA, they're now talking about the virtual Comic-Con.

Wow, Tommy has a DaCast stream just like Stu does for his show.
mellongraig93
2020-08-05T23:51:35Z
The 100 Greatest Looney Tunes Cartoons is being reprinted, as well as Famous #1 More Fun Comics (New Fun: The Big Comic Magazine a.k.a. New Fun Comics), and more books along the way being shown.

December 23rd is when Jerry Beck will return for his Christmas show (which could be the last Stu's Show if things don't turn out the way the election goes). But I'm sure fans don't want Stu's Show to go away quietly.

Disney+, HBO Max, and other streaming services (Peacock, Apple+) are coming up in the next segment.
mellongraig93
2020-08-06T00:32:19Z
New Looney Tunes Cartoons on HBO Max is now showing as we speak with opinions coming.

Home video segment coming up next - stay tuned!
mellongraig93
2020-08-06T01:36:02Z
They're now showing classic cartoons (and I'm sure someone will fill in the details of the cartoons that were shown).

Emails are coming soon.
Leviathan
2020-08-06T01:47:13Z
What's the rundown of classic cartoon news?
nickramer
2020-08-06T03:56:09Z
Here is "Cartoon Corner":
Classic ad complilation:
Rocky and Bulwinkle bumper "Friendly Spirits".
Cheerios "Acrobat Bullwinkle"
The Kid From C.H.E.E.R.I.O.S.
Tang with Bugs and Daffy "Shoot a Duck"
Winston with Flintstones "Store"
Popeye Soaky
Jello with Alvin "More Colors Than a Rainbow"
Mr. Bubbles jingle
Funny Face Drinks "Goofy Grape"

"Old MacDonald Had a Farm" (Famous Studios, 1945)
"The Happy Cobblers" (Terrytoons, 1952)
Toonatic
2020-08-06T03:59:10Z
So any reports?
mellongraig93
2020-08-06T04:38:45Z
Okay, I'll do the best I can although I can't go word for word on this... it will be available in the archives later on once it is posted for people to see it again.

Here's what I can tell you with some highlights as best as I can:

Warner Home Entertainment does video/Blu-ray distribution, not Jerry and George
On the Flintstones, Jerry didn't have input on restoration, but George did to a certain extent
Press release (10 disc set on October 13, $84.99), 166 episodes plus bonuses without Columbia opening title, disappointing overall according to Stu

Tex Avery Vol. 2 is still being worked on, but has since stalled due to COVID-19, an alternate Vol. 2 is being planned but not worked on yet. Vol. 3 is not happening
Some of the transfers/scans have already happened on HBO Max, albeit not to the standards that it should be. Some will be done later this year or earlier next year.
They also mentioned about Bugs Bunny, and they seemed to give more praise because of the documentaries and audio commentary to go with it. No Daffy Duck set

With regards to Steve Stanchfield's new Popeye set, Stu didn't seem to have good feelings about the restoration of Barbeque for Two nor the Soaky Toy Commercial.

So in reality, it's a mixed bag this time around.

One more thing, my e-mail was read with regards to the current status of the forum (Stu and Jerry couldn't do much about it other than suggesting the fans do it themselves) as well as whether if Jerry would prefer feature films at the movies or at home.
fulano7
2020-08-06T05:12:38Z
Originally Posted by: mellongraig93 

Vol. 3 is not happening

Vol. 3 is neither certain nor uncertain to happen, all will depend on sales of vol. 2, that will come in december 2020 or in 2021.

WHV had planned an 80th anniversary Bugs set and asked Jerry if collectors would buy, he said no. He advised to put new-to-video shorts and made them a list of shorts. From time to time, they asked Jerry one more short and he ended up suggesting a lot of 60s shorts. Jerry wasn't deeply involved in the project, he hasn't been given autonomy to actually choose the shorts but rather to suggest. WHV team had the final word.

Overall disappointing scenario for Looney Tunes. It became clear that WHV is careless about classic animation, Jerry said that about one-quarter or even one third of the 1000 original LT/MM are deemed as inappropriate for today's standards by Warner.

No words on un-PC Avery shorts in upcoming volumes, no words on LT/MM on WAC, things understandably stagnant due to the pandemic, but still... Disappointing, no excitement, WHV = careless
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
2020-08-06T07:59:22Z
Originally Posted by: fulano7 

Overall disappointing scenario for Looney Tunes. It became clear that WHV is careless about classic animation, Jerry said that about one-quarter or even one third of the 1000 original LT/MM are deemed as inappropriate for today's standards by Warner.

This wouldn't necessarily mean they couldn't be released though. The bigger issue is whether or not they start selling to serious collectors again. They haven't done that since the Golden Collections ended. If they're not, they can just pretend those cartoons don't exist. If they are, they can release them (probably as part of a complete set at this late date) through WAC with a disclaimer.
mellongraig93
2020-08-06T11:16:46Z
Did you guys miss the show? Fear not, the 233-minute (almost 4 hours worth) program is now up in the archives in both audio and PPV video formats.

https://www.stusshow.com/archives.php 
fulano7
2020-08-06T16:06:02Z
Originally Posted by: Traveling Matt 

Originally Posted by: fulano7 

This wouldn't necessarily mean they couldn't be released though. The bigger issue is whether or not they start selling to serious collectors again. They haven't done that since the Golden Collections ended. If they're not, they can just pretend those cartoons don't exist. If they are, they can release them (probably as part of a complete set at this late date) through WAC with a disclaimer.

You know, old Hollywood movies haven't aged well. Nowadays, some values seem stupid, like "women doing exclusively domestic stuff", "man threatening to hit woman", "people of color not allowed", "white person not allowed to kiss person fo color" etc...

2020 USA won't age well either, IMHO. I mean, USA are a great country, very high HDI and all, but seriously, there are worse countries overall (much lower HDI) where racial and ideological issues aren't so prevalent. Honestly, you USA are ideologically and culturally screwed. Full of taboos in 2020. Those who try to erase History are doomed to repeat it. It's 2020 and you still have serious taboos, this is no good. American companies are totally missing the point of overcoming social issues from the past and present. They keep fueling new prejudices, more racial and social hatred, stablishing new taboos over and over, only changing the prejudice-targeted groups.

Someday in 2050 we'll laugh hard at the stupidity of this interview and how Warner in 2020 made a big deal out of old cartoons, hiding them because of social taboos in a time of Antifa (anti-western) extremism.
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
Mesterius
2020-08-06T17:27:30Z

Tex Avery Vol. 2 is still being worked on, but has since stalled due to COVID-19, an alternate Vol. 2 is being planned but not worked on yet. Vol. 3 is not happening

Um... what? What does THIS mean? We need more details here. What does an "alternate Vol. 2" mean? I understand the release of Vol. 2 has been delayed, but why would they need to change the planned contents on it?

Also, Vol. 3 is not happening? Again... huh? How can Jerry say that with such certainty?

Some of the transfers/scans have already happened on HBO Max, albeit not to the standards that it should be. Some will be done later this year or earlier next year.

Okay, so they are not just gonna throw the sub-standard HD transfers from HBO Max on the Warner Archive Blu-rays. If so, that's very good to hear.

Ian L.
2020-08-06T18:07:29Z
Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Um... what? What does THIS mean? We need more details here. What does an "alternate Vol. 2" mean? I understand the release of Vol. 2 has been delayed, but why would they need to change the planned contents on it?

Someone can probably phrase this better than me, but it had to do with certain cartoons not being in great shape, at least not up to the high standards that Jerry and George want. It sounds like they had to do some shuffling around of cartoons that ARE in better shape while they continue to work on the trouble children for a hypothetical third volume.

Quote:

Also, Vol. 3 is not happening? Again... huh? How can Jerry say that with such certainty?

Jerry never said vol. 3 wasn't happening. It's just that they haven't even released vol. 2 yet so to say "yes it's definitely coming" would be counting chickens before they hatch.
Mesterius
2020-08-06T18:16:04Z
Originally Posted by: Ian L. 

Originally Posted by: Mesterius 

Someone can probably phrase this better than me, but it had to do with certain cartoons not being in great shape, at least not up to the high standards that Jerry and George want. It sounds like they had to do some shuffling around of cartoons that ARE in better shape while they continue to work on the trouble children for a hypothetical third volume.

Quote:

Jerry never said vol. 3 wasn't happening. It's just that they haven't even released vol. 2 yet so to say "yes it's definitely coming" would be counting chickens before they hatch.

Ahh, right. And yeah, I see fulano7 is saying that too. Kind of misleading to write "not happening" then.

How about that "alternate Vol. 2"? Did he say anything about what might be changed and why?
Ian L.
2020-08-06T18:22:15Z
I don't believe he mentioned which specific cartoons were causing the problems.