Potentially controversial proposal: phase out the Filmography forum - Forum.
PopKorn Kat
2020-02-25T16:31:54Z
Something I've been wanting to do is phase out the "Filmography" forum. I could see such threads having a purpose before this very database displayed which cartoons had video releases with a handy little legend without even having to click on said entry. Now? Well, I have three reasons why the Filmography forum should be phased out and its information migrated to the database proper:

1. It’s obsolete.
The mere presence of a database that can be contributed to by volunteers renders these forum threads obsolete. Previously lost films can reappear, new releases constantly get announced, releases can get cancelled, and release listings can change.

2. It’s clunky.
Each post can have a limited amount of characters. Granted, it’s in the 30000s, but apparently it still isn’t enough, as filmography maintainers end up creating additional placeholder posts just in case they need more space. Then you inevitably get people posting new release updates, pushing the filmography posts away from the spotlight. And what if more space is needed? You make more posts. This results in a thread that’s not easy to navigate. Aren’t these threads meant to be a convenient place to store this info? Even the old home video listings on the Golden Age Cartoons sites are more concise.

3. The threads can fall out-of-date.
If the maintainer of the thread becomes disinterested, or preoccupied with real-life responsibilities, new releases may not be documented for a while, resulting in an outdated list. This is an issue with the database as well, but there are multiple researchers able to contribute there, whereas only moderators and the OP can edit Filmography posts.

The only con I can think of from locking the Filmography forum is that some information could potentially be lost. The scant few episodes of The New Woody Woodpecker Show that have video releases still need to be added to the database, for example. This is why I propose keeping the Filmography forum up (but locked to new posts) until all the necessary information is migrated.

As for substitutes…historically, members of this forum have not been fans of designated places to post home video releases. People tend to end up posting in the appropriate subforum instead. Additionally, there are plenty of boards as it is, and most of them aren’t used that often. I suppose in this case we’ll stick with the status quo and let new home video info be posted in the appropriate forum. The main disadvantage to this is that a lot of releases will slip under the cracks due to the forum’s small user base.

Any questions? Comments?
eutychus
2020-02-25T16:38:42Z
I would also add that these pages can be easily reproduced as part of the database site itself. As long as video information is added to the listings on a consistent basis, it should be no problem to replicate these pages using the database listings themselves for those that still need them. And be a lot easier on you guys.
HeySteve
2020-02-26T00:48:14Z
The biggest flaw I have seen with the video filmographies is the inclusion of releases that are obviously not going to come out (Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Vol. 2) and releases that haven't even been announced yet (1950's volumes of Popeye).
nickramer
2020-02-26T04:46:18Z
Okay, but I should point out that we have a Gumby filmography thread and none of the videos (and some of the official DVDs) are listed on the database. I suggest we keep that one until the pages of the titles listed get created (as soon as possible). Then we deleted it.

Also, can we replace it with a home releases news forum instead? I like finding out about new release with bonus shorts.
PopKorn Kat
2020-02-26T05:02:58Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Also, can we replace it with a home releases news forum instead? I like finding out about new release with bonus shorts.

That's up to eutychus, but we had a video release forum on the old IAD board . It doesn't appear the venture was successful, as people just ended up posting about video releases on the regular boards.

I'm fine with the idea of a general video release forum, but in my opinion, anything more than that is clunky and overly specific.
Toonatic
2020-02-28T07:29:20Z
I always manage to keep my filmographies to date and if I do take some liberties in somethings, that's just something I'd like to do (and also plan ahead accordingly).

So to answer your question, No. Do not phase out the Filmographies please.
Toadette
2020-02-28T15:26:03Z
As others have pointed out, it’d be easier and far more convenient if the information in these Flimography threads was brought to the database itself. Why not work on transferring it all to a less clunky space?

Also...”up-to-date”, you say? Alice at the Rodeo and Alice’s Auto Race are still listed as “MISSING SHORTS” in your Disney thread, even though it’s been years since I pointed out that they exist in some form .
Mesterius
2020-02-28T17:50:59Z
Originally Posted by: Toadette 

As others have pointed out, it’d be easier and far more convenient if the information in these Flimography threads was brought to the database itself. Why not work on transferring it all to a less clunky space?

Also...”up-to-date”, you say? Alice at the Rodeo and Alice’s Auto Race are still listed as “MISSING SHORTS” in your Disney thread, even though it’s been years since I pointed out that they exist in some form .

That's not even mentioning his dead-set refusal to remove Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Volume 2 from the MGM filmograhy. Makes it hard to take seriously.
PopKorn Kat
2020-02-28T17:58:11Z
Toonatic's got listings for hypothetical Popeye the Sailor: The 1950s Blu-Ray and DVD sets, despite the fact that they've never been announced. Listing such nonexistent releases is misleading at best.
Mesterius
2020-02-28T18:03:58Z
Originally Posted by: PopKorn Kat 

Toonatic's got listings for hypothetical Popeye the Sailor: The 1950s Blu-Ray and DVD sets, despite the fact that they've never been announced. Listing such nonexistent releases is misleading at best.

...and Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Volume 2 is listed as if it's a release that HAS COME OUT. It's delusional.
Toonatic
2020-02-29T01:52:44Z
I already explain about the Popeye 1950's releases:

https://www.intanibase.c...ay-Filmography#post29028 

In summary, they're going to happen....soon and one day (but it WILL happen).

And I'm stating this once, I'm not changing anything from my filmographies.

And Toadette, I took care of your Alice inquiry, sorry for not noticing it sooner.
HeySteve
2020-02-29T02:24:10Z
Originally Posted by: Toonatic 

I already explain about the Popeye 1950's releases:

https://www.intanibase.c...ay-Filmography#post29028 

In summary, they're going to happen....soon and one day (but it WILL happen).

And Toadette, I took care of your Alice inquiry, sorry for not noticing it sooner.

But what if these Popeye releases don't happen?
Mesterius
2020-02-29T03:20:40Z

And that's another reason why the Filmography forum should be phased out. Because your arguments for not removing Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Volume 2 are ridiculous.
eutychus
2020-02-29T22:49:06Z

I always manage to keep my filmographies to date and if I do take some liberties in somethings, that's just something I'd like to do (and also plan ahead accordingly).

But there are a few issues with this. Firstly, it's double work. If you're continuing with the mission of the IAD any video releases should be added to the database first. If you then wanted to added them to the filmography, that's up to you, but once we get the filmography pages going, the pages here aren't really going to be necessary. They will be automatically generated by the database program.

Also, when you add proposed releases (like Popeye) or videos that were never released (like Tom and Jerry) it sends out incorrect information which is something we frown on. One of the things we want to pride ourselves on is the correctness of our information and having incorrect information in what is a tacitly official filmography tends to give us a bit of a black eye. And can make people suspicious of other information on the site.

Looney Tunes Fan
2020-03-04T04:29:45Z
As someone who maintains a few Filmography threads myself, I should probably chime into this discussion.

I have always tried to keep the few Filmographies I run as accurately as possible alongside making constant changes to improve readability throughout. That said, I understand where PopKornKat is coming from. I myself do not have the time I used to have to devote to maintaining the filmographies, especially in the case of the rapidly changing Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies filmography. Thus, opening access up to allow others to maintain the information would definitely be beneficial for all users, rather than have them wait for months on end without an update. Plus, allowing them to be removed from the shackles of the post count would definitely allow for a more pleasing reading experience.

Of course, I do enjoy maintaining the few Filmography threads that I do. But, in the overall interest of the members here, among others, I do support incorporating the information within the main portion of IAD. I would definitely be supportive of maintaining pages for certain series as well, as having an area that lists the entire filmography and its home media releases for one series is still something of incredible use to myself, and I imagine to others as well.

Perhaps this isn't so much a phasing-out, but a mere evolution of the concept that further benefits the animation community as a whole?