Cartoon Discussion of the Month Nov. 2019: Soup or Sonic - Forum.
OutOfOdor
2019-11-02T00:51:43Z
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18s5ln 
Air Date: May 21, 1980 (as part of Bugs Bunny's Bustin' Out All Over)
Story: Chuck Jones
Direction: Chuck Jones and Phil Monroe
Animation: Phil Monroe, Virgil Ross, Manny Perez, Dick Thompson, Ken Champin, Irv Anderson, Tom Ray, Lloyd Vaughan
Assistant Animators: Terry Lennon, George Scribner, Robert Shellhorn, Bob Treat, Bob Tyler, Sammie Lanham, Grace Stanzell, Carole Beers, Bill Wolf
Layouts: Ron Dias
Backgrounds: Ron Dias
Graphics: Don Foster
Sound Effects Editor: Rich Harrison
Music: Dean Elliott, Bill Lava (syndicated, solo copies only, lifted from War and Pieces)
Vocal Effects: Mel Blanc (Wile E.), Paul Julian (Road Runner, archive recordings)
Summary: Wile E. Coyote once again tries to nab himself a Road Runner dinner, to no avail as usual, but eventually is able to catch that elusive fowl- only there's just one big problem. A giant problem, to be exact.

In 1980, Chuck Jones produced a special known as Bugs Bunny's Bustin' Out All Over, consisting of three cartoons, two with our favorite gray hare, the other with a certain "batoutahelius" and "canis vulgarius." Surprisingly, the cartoons weren't familiar ones from the WB archives, but rather brand new ones, produced specially for this film. Not much, since Bugs Bunny's Looney Christmas Tales came out earlier, but this user can't comment on much of that anyway, having only seen the "Freeze Frame" segment of that particular special.

The two Bugs cartoons are alright, nothing too-too special about them, although "Portrait of the Artist..." has some nice, amusing bits throughout. "Spaced Out Bunny" isn't much, so no comment on that one, but the Road Runner cartoon is every bit as good as what Chuck and his unit were coming up with back in the 50s and 60s. Great gags from a master director obviously still capable of solid, amusing material which could possibly be mistaken for a leftover gag from the pre-shutdown days, like the giant flypaper (shades of the Burmese tiger in Stop, Look and Hasten!), the Frisbee disc (Nice Freleng tribute!), and Wile E.'s failed attempt at pole vaulting, to name a few examples. Of course, there's also the ending. Won't say much to prevent myself from spoiling it, but it's very amusing.

Heck, even Dean Elliott did a jim dandy job here, and I'm usually not crazy about his scores! Probably his finest hour.

The most interesting aspect of this and the rest of the special, though, in my opinion, are the sound effects. Although Rich Harrison isn't Treg Brown obviously, his library is pretty unique and he manages to do a fine job (that sound used for Wile E. turning his question mark into an exclamation point, for instance: perfect juxtaposition of sound and image IMO). At times the editing seems odd (those "bwuh-bwuh-bwuh" sounds specifically), but still effective. His overall library is fascinating to a sound effects nut like myself. Really interesting combination of Jay Ward (the metal crash, the tire skid, the bongo roll), Bob Clampett (the spinning sound used for Wile E. and his pole spinning around), Phil Kaye/TV Spots (a metal impact sound), a few stock effects that later ended up with Hanna-Barbera (a "sproing" sound used during the explosive tennis ball sequence), and even a little bit of classic WB, specifically the bomb falls and the Road-Runner's signature jet sound! It seems Art Clokey used the same stock library used here. Information regarding it is appreciated. These are probably some of the most interesting sounds I've ever heard in a cartoon, 'nuff said.

That's enough from me, so discuss away!
"With all respect to the great mousetrap."- Popeye, "The Spinach Overture" (1935)
Pokey J.Anti-Blockhead
2020-03-25T01:07:47Z
I saw it, when first broadcast in SOB (the ACRONYM!) Okay..the only REAL interesting thing, about any of these specials, though, is as you said, the Sound FX, used..an odd combination of:
WB
Disney
H-B
Clokey
Ward
and some others

in this one.

In addition, the seperate short not included, DUCK DODGERS SEQUEL (that long titled short)--showed us what that very INNNTERESTING red monster was REALLY named..