fulano7
  • fulano7
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2016-02-22T22:01:35Z
Paramount gave an example of what not to do with works of art.

I've read that original Paramount titles were removed from the original negatives of black and white shorts, and 16mm Eastcolor color negatives were manufactured for TV broadcast.

But... What happened to the originals? I mean, where are they buried??? Did they get destroyed or permantenly damaged in the process?

Does Paramount still have the original negatives in their library? Is there any hope someday we can have an official release with the cartoons unedited?
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
kazblox
2016-02-22T22:48:19Z
Originally Posted by: fulano7 

But... What happened to the originals? I mean, where are they buried??? Did they get destroyed or permantenly damaged in the process?

Does Paramount still have the original negatives in their library? Is there any hope someday we can have an official release with the cartoons unedited?

a. Sent off to UCLA for storage simply because Viacom wants to get them off their hands while being stored safe and sound.

b. Most of Paramount's negatives are intact, but some of them, like Spree for All, don't even exist or were possibly destroyed.

c. Yes! See A.

d. Possibly little to no chance. UCLA simply can't take them out, because all materials in UCLA's storage are deposited with the rights of the owner. In that case, the owner of the film elements is Paramount Pictures. (Copyright can work that way sadly.) If you wanted to get a clear 35mm nitrate negative of Sheep Shape from UCLA, you would have to get trust and license film negative rights from Paramount Pictures. Which could be millions, possibly 1-3 million dollars just for that negative alone. Unless you're Olive Films.

But yes.... where was I? Ah, anyways, there's no way in the world that Paramount or Olive Films will restore and distribute them, because of the a lack of any financial incentive. No kid, or any person will probably even care about Famous Studios Cartoons nowadays.

Even Sony can't be bothered to restore ancient cartoons, and they called them... *ahem* "That old black-and-white sh**."

UserPostedImage

That being said, your chances are officially and legally very narrow, but not too far. If you can just convince Viacom, that is...