Toonatic
  • Toonatic
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2015-07-14T00:42:11Z
LuckyToon
2015-07-14T00:53:49Z
I knew it, we're finally getting the last of the theatrical Peanuts animated films on DVD for the first time.
ParamountCartoons
2015-07-14T12:25:18Z
Let's hope they clear the music rights for the bartender scene!
Toonatic
  • Toonatic
2015-07-14T17:43:41Z
Press release (we're getting a making of featurette!!!!):
https://www.facebook.com...sh/posts/874187925981006 
Toadette
2015-07-14T19:15:23Z
If the film has been restored in 4K, why not release it on Blu-ray as well? Then again, it's probably going to be one of those blurry, scrubbed-out corporate Disney-type restorations that Peanuts Worldwide has been bankrolling lately , so they might as well release it at a lower resolution if they want it to look good for the general audiences.

Bill Melendez Productions still exists?
wiley207
2015-07-15T03:12:18Z
Originally Posted by: ParamountCartoons 

Yep, I remember Cartoon Network's airings of this movie had the World War II-era songs in the cafe scenes like that replaced with nondescript instrumental music. Though I'm confident this will retain the original music. I remember ABC Family's airings kept the original WWII-era songs, though one was cut for timing (as the film was hacked to pieces.)

I'm definitely gonna buy when it comes out! I've been wanting an official DVD release for years. It's always been one of my favorite Peanuts cartoons of all time.
LuckyToon
2015-07-15T06:43:49Z
Originally Posted by: wiley207 

Originally Posted by: ParamountCartoons 

Yep, I remember Cartoon Network's airings of this movie had the World War II-era songs in the cafe scenes like that replaced with nondescript instrumental music. Though I'm confident this will retain the original music. I remember ABC Family's airings kept the original WWII-era songs, though one was cut for timing (as the film was hacked to pieces.)

I'm definitely gonna buy when it comes out! I've been wanting an official DVD release for years. It's always been one of my favorite Peanuts cartoons of all time.

I'm wondering if premium channel airings (like on HBO) kept the World War II-era songs intact too. That was the last time I saw the movie on TV.
Toonatic
  • Toonatic
Toadette
2015-09-29T16:06:12Z
Quote:

Bon Voyage also benefits from excellent music by Ed Bogas and Judy Munsen, with additional contributions by Doug Goodwin

How about DVDtalk finds better sources than Wikipedia (like actually looking at the credits)? Come to think of it, who's been making those terrible Wikipedia edits adding various people to the credits of various Peanuts cartoons? (They're mostly people involved with DFE at one time or another (Harper MacKay on "Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown", Dean Elliott on "What Have We Learned, Charlie Brown?"), but "Is This Goodbye, Charlie Brown?" has Eugene Poddany......and don't even get me started on the vandalism done to "You're the Greatest, Charlie Brown".)
Toonatic
  • Toonatic
2015-09-30T17:25:35Z
OK, I got a reply from the reviewer regarding if the music in the bar has been restored or not:

"Just checked and, while I've never heard the modified version that aired on Comedy Central, I can verify that the music during Snoopy's pub visit matches the VHS and laserdisc versions, The four song segments are "Sentimental Journey", "It's Been A Long, Long Time", "Rum and Coca-Cola", and "I'll Be Seeing You", along with an upbeat, jazzy instrumental before and after."
nickramer
2015-10-01T04:10:43Z
It aired on Comedy Central? When was that?
Toonatic
  • Toonatic
2015-10-01T05:42:22Z
I think he might've meant Cartoon Network.
Toadette
2015-10-10T19:39:10Z
wiley207 has been gracious enough to post screenshots of the DVD; judging from these, the transfer is as scrubbed out as I expected it to be, and the film now looks more like one of those Peanuts specials from the 2000s!
http://wile-e2005.livejournal.com/174324.html 
dbear
2015-10-11T09:14:11Z
IMO, can't really conclude anything from those compressed DVD screengrabs other than the colour looking on par with the other 4k restorations I've seen so far on the Emmy set. A subtly different look from Warner's generally brighter remasters of the specials from 5-6 years ago. Not saying it's necessarily wrong, just an observation.
dbear
2015-10-16T18:52:59Z
Watched the restoration (and the making-of) in iTunes-compressed HD. For some reason, this is available on iTunes UK but Race For Your Life isn't.

Complaints about the restoration seem a little over-blown. Grain is present throughout the film, though it certainly looks like it may have been slightly reduced (can't tell how much of that is due to iTunes compression). Not seeing anything as bad as the Disney restorations from the same era (The inconsistent look of The Fox and the Hound on Blu-ray come to mind) . Any photographed in artifacts seem largely intact.

Never seen the film before, pretty enjoyable in spite of what I feel to be a few un-Peanuts like moments. I'm surprised they commissioned a new retrospective for the film, quite an informative watch.

Curiously iTunes presented the film in 4:3 while the documentary clips are 16:9. Based on wiley207's screenshots, we're seeing a smidgen less on the sides and more on the top and bottom (somewhat expected). Interesting Paramount would prepare two differently framed masters derived from the same 4k restoration.
Toadette
2015-10-16T20:10:59Z
Thanks, dbear.

I admit that I can indeed be overblown and hyperbolic at times, especially when it comes to animated film. At least we have people like you who actually seek this stuff out for the sake of information.
dbear
2015-10-16T20:57:45Z
Guess you could thank the fact I received an iTunes gift card recently, and not knowing when any of these brand new 4k restorations will actually hit Blu-ray, I thought why not? An fun Peanuts flick and a solid retrospective featurette.

Granted, I'm not an authority on PQ, my observations could be off as iTunes compression can look ghastly at times so it's a little hard separating problems with the encode or the underlying master. After rewatching the documentary with the widescreen excerpts, the grain there actually look better resolved but not as coarse as the grain on the clips from Race For Your Life. If that's what we get on a future hypothetical Blu-ray, I think you'll be reasonably satisfied. As for the colour, I have the same reservations as I noted before, but again I don't claim to know 100% how these are meant to look.

(Incidentally, Race For Your Life was never advertised as a 4k remaster, was it?)
wiley207
2015-10-19T23:38:14Z
Originally Posted by: Toadette 

wiley207 has been gracious enough to post screenshots of the DVD; judging from these, the transfer is as scrubbed out as I expected it to be, and the film now looks more like one of those Peanuts specials from the 2000s!
http://wile-e2005.livejournal.com/174324.html 

Thanks for linking it, Toadette! And a funny thing, saying it looks like a 2000s Peanuts special, I thought the same thing when I first saw "Snoopy, Come Home" remastered on DVD over nine years ago!
nickramer
2015-10-25T15:04:46Z
In other words, is this DVD worth to get?
ParamountCartoons
2015-10-25T16:04:23Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

In other words, is this DVD worth to get?

Only if you haven't seen the entire movie like me. I'll buy the DVD and see it.......

I got a Amazon gift card, so I might get the dvd!