SuperMuppet64
2023-09-30T13:53:37Z
https://wexarts.org/film...ration-universal-studios 

I was recently brought to attention this talk at Cartoon Crossroads Columbus (CXC) just a few days ago: Universal is undergoing preservation of animated film elements in its library, including not only the Walter Lantz cartoons, but also numerous pieces of the Classic Media library, including the Mr. Magoo TV cartoons, George of the Jungle, and He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, the latter the victim of a longstanding rumor that all Filmation elements were intentionally destroyed upon sale of the library to Entertainment Rights in 2004. To quote the article, "Attendees will also get a behind-the-scenes look at library curation projects from United Productions of America (UPA) including artwork and character development sketches of Gerald McBoing-Boing and others."

I found out about this thanks to an offhand comment from forum member nickramer on the latest Cartoon Research article. They mentioned Universal announced they found the He-Man film elements in Europe at this event. I had known for some years analog tape masters were found at the UK warehouse the Filmation material was stored at back in 2016, and I am very happy to hear film elements have finally been located. Just last year a German Blu-ray label had released a He-Man Blu-ray using upscaled versions of the 1995 Hallmark masters.
Toonatic
2023-09-30T18:12:37Z
NICE!!!

Happy to see Universal is finally coming through on restoring the Classic Media library (it's been LONG overdue)! Surprise they still have George of The Jungle though, shouldn't that be with WildBrain now since they acquired the Jay War dlibrary?
Gabrielkat1991
2023-09-30T19:46:30Z
Hopefully, the October 1950-March 1962 Paramount cartoons that were included in the Harveytoons package will be restored as well, complete with their original Paramount theatrical titles.
"The dirty f**k!" - Bosko
SuperMuppet64
2023-10-01T04:25:32Z
Originally Posted by: Toonatic 

Surprise they still have George of The Jungle though, shouldn't that be with WildBrain now since they acquired the Jay War dlibrary?

the nuances of the jay ward library is admittedly something i havent done enough research on. perhaps classic media has been holding the film material itself for some time? (we also need to consider cbs/paramount owned some rights through the worldvision library) it's not something i can speculate on, though i did hear about the ward family's licensing deal with wildbrain.