Author Topic: Vintage Disney animation to air on TCM on December 21st  (Read 2287 times)

SockPuppet

• View Profile
Vintage Disney animation to air on TCM on December 21st
« on: November 27, 2014, 12:23:40 am »
Though live action Disney films have aired on various channels, including TCM, it's very surprising considering the company is known to be stingy on having their animation on rival networks. A block titled "Treasures From the Disney Vault" will air on TCM, which will premire on December 21.  :mickey: :minnie: :donald: :goofy:

excerpt from Cartoon Brew

In one of the more bizarre recent examples of cross-corporate collaboration, Disney has announced a new TV program called “Treasures From the Disney Vault” that will air on Time Warner-owned Turner Classic Movies (TCM). The programming block will include classic Disney films, shorts, documentaries, and episodes of TV series including “Disneyland” and “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color.” TCM will air the block of Disney programming quarterly.

Some of the already-announced titles that will air on TCM include live-action Disney features as Treasure Island (1950), Darby O’Gill and the Little People (1959) and Pollyanna (1960); animated films like The Three Caballeros (1944) and The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949); classic nature documentaries, including The Living Desert (1953) and The African Lion (1955); made-for-television series such as Davy Crockett; special episodes from Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color; documentaries about the studio, including Walt & El Grupo (2009) and Waking Sleeping Beauty (2010); and animated shorts, such as Flowers and Trees, Chip an’ Dale and Santa’s Workshop.

edited added air date
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:39:58 pm by SockPuppet »

NicKramer

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Disney animation to air on TCM
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 12:52:26 am »
Just happy "The Great Movie Ride" is still going to be in "Disney's Hollywood Studios" since they doing some remodeling on this park.  I was actually thinking of TCM sponsoring that attraction.

ForumDocXV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 02:51:54 am »
It doesn't surprise me too much since CN did air "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" back then. However I already have The Three Caballeros on DVD, as well as The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad on DVD and Blu Ray that I recently got for my birthday (as a 2-movie pack with Fun and Fancy Free) so I don't need to see those films on the channel. Especially when the Ichabod and Mr. Toad Blu Ray looks fantastic with clear picture and sound.

But I'm thinking about checking out The Wonderful World of Color since I haven't seen that show in a long time since I last time saw it on the then defunct Vault Disney block that Disney Channel use to air until they removed it in 2002!

And I did heard about the documentary Waking Sleeping Beauty, but I haven't seen it and I would love to check it out.
I'm not just a fan of classic golden age animation, I'm also a fan of video games, anime, and modern animation (both 2D and CGI animation).

14archy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 08:12:00 am »
So if Turner now owns the Disney shorts, they could very well air them on Boomerang!  ::) Don't you agree with me?
Don't have nothing to do? Watch a cartoon!

Mario500

• Doing "The Mario" on the keyboard
    • View Profile
    • Television and Radio in Southwest Alabama
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 10:11:34 am »
^I doubt Turner Broadcasting owns them and doubt the Walt Disney Company would ever have their ownership of them relinquished.

Looney Tunes Fan

• Researchers
  • Eh...What's Up Doc?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 06:49:21 pm »
So if Turner now owns the Disney shorts, they could very well air them on Boomerang!  ::) Don't you agree with me?
Oh they certainly do not own the rights whole, just the broadcast rights. You do bring up an interesting point, although I'm not sure if Disney would be too keen on letting a rival kids network air their cartoons, even if they are old.
I love classic cartoons!
25th member of The IAD forums! The NEW GAC forums!  :bugs: :andy: :audrey: :barney: :betty: :bosko: :buddy: :crow: :fox: :magoo: :donald: :fethry: :goofy: :mickey: :minnie: :scrooge: :willy: :ozzie: :woody:

ForumDocXV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 07:55:33 pm »
Oh they certainly do not own the rights whole, just the broadcast rights. You do bring up an interesting point, although I'm not sure if Disney would be too keen on letting a rival kids network air their cartoons, even if they are old.
Yeah, imagine seeing the classic Disney cartoons airing along side with the classic Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry cartoons on the network. It would be ironic. ???
I'm not just a fan of classic golden age animation, I'm also a fan of video games, anime, and modern animation (both 2D and CGI animation).

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 12:46:00 am »
I wonder if they are planning to show "Fantasia" in the future. 

The Dogfather/Toadette

• I'm an animatophilic shroom-girl!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 12:52:00 am »
I hope so, but the chance is unlikely. I don't recall it ever being broadcast in full on television.

ToonStar95

• View Profile

dbear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 06:05:25 am »
Here's the promo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlOp9k08Jho&list=UUv0R5T2xkjGfk9UR90iZG1A

Few quick observations:
  • ON ICE and CHIP N DALE are the new (darker) restorations that appeared on the German Donald Duck Christmas blu-ray; from the very brief snippet, SANTA'S WORKSHOP appears to be a new restoration as well
  • Glancing at the RELUCTANT DRAGON clips, the live-action portions look amazing but the animated bits seem to have somewhat smeary ink-lines, is it just poor YouTube compression or does it actually look like that on the new blu-ray?
  • The DISNEYLAND episode looks like a new transfer to me (seems sharper than the Treasures presentation) tho I may be wrong

I hope so, but the chance is unlikely. I don't recall it ever being broadcast in full on television.

For the record, Fantasia aired last Christmas Eve in the UK in near-entirety (still edited as the Blu-ray was and minus the intermission IIRC) on BBC Two.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:25:37 am by dbear »

dbear

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Disney animation to air on TCM on December 21st
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 09:14:20 pm »
Read on Facebook that SANTA'S WORKSHOP was presented edited (the blackface "mammy" doll was cut), disappointing but not too surprising. The DISNEYLAND STORY intriguingly has its sponsor titles restored.

ToonStar95

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 10:58:52 pm »
Well, Dragon used DVNR (perhaps due to the film having live-action elements), Santa had the Mammy doll cut and On Ice/Chipmunks had a fake title recreation.

Liked the use of sponsor titles on Disneyland though.

Besides those gripes, it's going good so far.

King Delbert

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 11:13:42 pm »
I don't know Santa's Workshop all that well, but I will say my only grip is seeing some of these cartoons in black and white due to them being on the Disneyland TV series.  But knowing why they did it is alright, I just think we are so used to seeing them in color nowadays.  Great seeing Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear, and Brer Fox though.  And great surprises too.  Can't wait til next time.

vdubdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 09:12:02 am »

I would guess TCM will work around to Fantasia at some point. If I recall Mr. Jerry Beck's last appearance on Stu's Show correctly, he mentioned TCM is going to be treating Disney's animated films (at least those made during Walt's life) as the bona fide classics of American filmmaking that they are, so surely the will be giving Fantasia the high-class treatment it deserves. Extra credit if they can show it unedited!