Author Topic: It's a Grand Old Nag (1947)  (Read 1579 times)

Retro00064

• Researchers
    • View Profile
It's a Grand Old Nag (1947)
« on: August 04, 2014, 03:39:11 am »
For those not already aware, Thad K. recently posted a transfer of a nice 16mm print of the Bob Clampett cartoon released by Republic Pictures, It's a Grand Old Nag, on his blog:

http://www.whataboutthad.com/2014/07/30/its-a-grand-old-nag

ForumDocXV

• View Profile
Re: It's a Grand Old Nag (1947)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 12:36:17 pm »
It's too bad this short isn't mentioned by the general public too often anymore. Not like Clampett's Looney Tunes cartoons.
I'm not just a fan of classic golden age animation, I'm also a fan of video games, anime, and modern animation (both 2D and CGI animation).

ParamountCartoons

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 02:23:15 pm »
Isn't it cool that Stan Freberg, the voice of Charlie Horse, is still with us?

The Spectre

• View Profile
    • The Darmok the Green Experience
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 05:30:22 pm »
You can take the Clampett out of Warners, but you can't take the Warners out of Clampett!

Did Republic do any other cartoons?
Blog: http://darmokthegreen.blosgpot.com

LATEST POST: A comparison of "Cholly Polly", "Cheese Burglar", "Stooge for a Mouse" and "Bugsy and Mugsy".

King Delbert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 08:03:00 pm »
You can take the Clampett out of Warners, but you can't take the Warners out of Clampett!

Did Republic do any other cartoons?

Jerky Journeys.  From Cartoon Research (and Jerry Beck):

The JERKY JOURNEYS were indeed released. There were only four. Republic was a low budget studio and I suspect that they were interested in promoting their “TruColor” process. Cartoons were a great way of doing that. Bob Clampett’s “Charlie Horse” cartoon (released 12/1/47) cost $20,000. to produce. Republic got four JERKY JOURNEYS for a total of $46,787. This was possible because there is almost no animation in these films!
Producer Leonard Lewis Levinson’s Impossible Pictures partnered with Art Heineman to make these gag travelouges which depended on verbal humor and long pan backgrounds. Amid Amidi did an interview with Pete Alvarado in ANIMATION JOURNAL (Vol. 8 #1, Fall 1999 – available from Chapman University) who says he, Paul Julian and Robert Gribbroek moonlighted from Warners painting the backgrounds over Heineman’s layouts. Like Avery’s Travelouge spoofs, but with hardly any action, one was even done in the style of a narrated slide show. Frank Nelson provided most of the voices. Here’s the whole list:

BEYOND CIVILIZATION TO TEXAS (3/15/49)
THE 3 MINNIES: SOTA, TONKA & HA HA! (4/15/49)
BUNGLE IN THE JUNGLE (5/15/49)
ROMANTIC RUMBOLIA (6/15/49)

dbear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 02:51:58 am »
"THE 3 MINNIES: SOTA, TONKA & HA HA!" can be found buried on YouTube (it used to be purchasable from the defunct CartoonBrewFilms website):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x776VWdxfCg

ParamountCartoons

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:44:52 am »
"THE 3 MINNIES: SOTA, TONKA & HA HA!" can be found buried on YouTube (it used to be purchasable from the defunct CartoonBrewFilms website):

Reminds me of those Play-A-Sound books or something.

Mister Bighead

• Researcher
  • Head Toad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 04:20:06 pm »

This seems to be one of the earliest uses of limited animation. (It was released around the time when the first animated television series "Crusader Rabbit", which also used limited animation, first aired.) The animation of The Three Minnies does match the choppiness seen in "Crusader Rabbit", but the overall art of it does match the quality of a theatrical short produced by the more well-known studios at the time.
Happy Holidays, everyone!

Sogturtle

• "People Get Ready" (song)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 08:46:01 am »

(Yeah I know this is an old topic, just adding my Turtle-two-cents worth  ;) ). Wellllll, for the record besides "It's A Grand Old Nag" and the the previously mentioned "Jerky Journeys" released by Republic, Clampett had been supposed to make three more Tru-Color cartoons for them to release.... But then Republic backed out on the deal! Just as an aside, as part of all of my research materials there are a couple of Clampett's original model-sheets for "...Grand Old Nag" that came my way years ago.

...And on the subject of Republic, yep it's true it was viewed as low-budget operation ("Repulsive Pictures" in the early Warner cartoons :P :P). But in reality its owner, Herbert Yates had been one of the biggest producer-distributors in the U.S. and his Consolidated film labs was a major lab (in other words, Yates HAD a fair amount of money to spend). But going into the movie business as late as he did up against the giants of Hollywood as a full-fledged "A" studio would've been ruinous. Sooooo just nip at their heels occasionally with a "A" movie all the while raking in cash on tons of "B" movies and Westerns.

ibcf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 07:24:27 pm »
Sogturtle - Wow, nice! Do you still have the Grand Old Nag model sheets? Would you be willing to scan them and post them, perhaps? :)