Author Topic: So when did Disney colorize the black and white Mickey Mouse cartoons?  (Read 5112 times)

King Delbert

• View Profile
I remember seeing a copyright notice 1991 on some cartoons, but looking at the Totally Minnie special from 1988 (the one that debuted Russi Taylor as the voice of Minnie Mouse), the clips used were colorized.  Does anybody have any info on that?

ToonStar95

• View Profile
Well, I heard that Disney colorized some of the black-and-white shorts in the 1980s while they were in talks with CBS with running Disney cartoons on Saturday mornings (similar to The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show), but those plans fell through.

They then decided to colorize the Mickeys (and a few Silly Symphonies) in 1991 for airings on The Disney Channel, but with a different, more lighter kind of color scheme. Compare the clips from Building a Building on Totally Minnie and then a 1991 colorized print and see how different they look.

King Delbert

• View Profile
There's TWO colorization?  At least they didn't redrew these like WB and Popeye did

ForumDocXV

• View Profile
I do remember seeing the first colorized version of "Gulliver Mickey" from the 1988 Mickey's Magical World VHS, but I wonder what they used to colorize the black and whites before the use of computers in the 90's?
I'm not just a fan of classic golden age animation, I'm also a fan of video games, anime, and modern animation (both 2D and CGI animation).

NicKramer

• View Profile
Wasn't one of the Mickey shorts hand-colored as a test in the early '80's before Disney realized that it wouldn't work?

ToonStar95

• View Profile
Wasn't one of the Mickey shorts hand-colored as a test in the early '80's before Disney realized that it wouldn't work?
No, I believe you're talking about one of the Oswald cartoons from Universal.
Disney always digitally colorized their black-and-whites.

dbear

• View Profile

There's an old GAC thread that linked to a now removed music video containing clips of what may or may not have been the redrawn Mickeys (at the very least, it seemed Plane Crazy was colorized at some point):
http://goldenagecartoons.com/forums/the-termite-terrace-trading-post-f3/topic10523.html

David Gerstein also compiled a full (?) list of 1991 computer colorized Mickeys here:
http://goldenagecartoons.com/forums/the-termite-terrace-trading-post-f3/topic4795.html

An interesting tidbit: when Disney Channel Asia ran Good Morning Mickey and Donald Duck Presents around 2008-2010, they used newly prepared international syndication masters that replaced most of the B&W Mickeys with the 1991 computer colorized ones (which obviously didn't exist in the early 80s :P). There were a few shorts that remained B&W which presumably didn't have corresponding computer colorized versions (I recall seeing Steamboat Willie, Plane Crazy, Mickey in Arabia and Pioneer Days shown in B&W).

The episode guide on Wikipedia corresponds to the what I saw being aired:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Morning,_Mickey!

ToonStar95

• View Profile
From a variety of 1980s sources, I have a little list on colorized shorts.

• Plane Crazy
  • The Gallopin' Gaucho
  • The Barn Dance
  • The Cactus Kid
  • The Gorilla Mystery
  • Blue Rhythm
  • Mickey's Revue
  • Mickey in Arabia
  • Mickey's Nightmare
  • The Klondike Kid
  • Building a Building
  • Ye Olden Days
  • Puppy Love
  • Shanghaied
  • Gulliver Mickey
  • Mickey's Steam Roller
  • Two-Gun Mickey

Mac

• View Profile
"David Gerstein also compiled a full (?) list of 1991 computer colorized Mickeys here:
http://goldenagecartoons.com/forums/the-termite-terrace-trading-post-f3/topic4795.html

The only cartoon that I have seen colorized, but is not in that list is The Barnyard Concert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK_0VS_u5D4

I have never seen a colorized Silly Symphony. I have heard that THE SPIDER AND THE FLY and PLAYFUL PAN may have been colorized, but I haven't seen proof.

NicKramer

• View Profile
"David Gerstein also compiled a full (?) list of 1991 computer colorized Mickeys here:

I have never seen a colorized Silly Symphony. I have heard that THE SPIDER AND THE FLY and PLAYFUL PAN may have been colorized, but I haven't seen proof.

I could of sworn I saw the final black and white Silly Symphony, "Bugs in Love", ironically computer-colorized on The Disney Channel. 

Mark The Shark

• View Profile

There's an old GAC thread that linked to a now removed music video containing clips of what may or may not have been the redrawn Mickeys (at the very least, it seemed Plane Crazy was colorized at some point):
http://goldenagecartoons.com/forums/the-termite-terrace-trading-post-f3/topic10523.html

There was a magazine that came out in the late 1980s called "Cartoon Quarterly," which IIRC lasted for only one issue. In that issue was a column by Leonard Maltin where he lamented the redrawn colorized Popeye cartoons which had recently appeared on TV. He suggested their success would likely inspire other studios to follow suit (this was years after the Betty Boop and Porky Pig cartoons had been redrawn in the early 1970s), and mentioned that redrawn clips from Disney cartoons had appeared in some music videos, presumably shown on DTV. I never saw anything like that, but if Leonard Maltin said it, he usually knows what he's talking about.

wiley207

• I'm back!
    • View Profile
I do remember seeing the first colorized version of "Gulliver Mickey" from the 1988 Mickey's Magical World VHS, but I wonder what they used to colorize the black and whites before the use of computers in the 90's?

Digital colorization existed back in the 1980s. This is how Ted Turner pulled that infamous move on colorizing the old black-and-white movies and such his company owned (they also colorized the first season of "Gilligan's Island.") They weren't BAD colorizations, (they actually looked pretty well-done), but the public was still outraged because they preferred them in black-and-white.
Turner's digital colorization duties were handled by CST Entertainment, the same company that colorized many black-and-white Warner Bros. cartoons in the early 1990s.

NicKramer

• View Profile
Which early Merrie Melodies did Turner assigned to be redrawn besides "Smile, Darn Ya, Smile"?

Looney Tunes Fan

• Researchers
  • Eh...What's Up Doc?
    • View Profile
Which early Merrie Melodies did Turner assigned to be redrawn besides "Smile, Darn Ya, Smile"?
Apperently these ones: http://calvincrowe.tripod.com/redrawn/merrie.htm
I love classic cartoons!
25th member of The IAD forums! The NEW GAC forums!  :bugs: :andy: :audrey: :barney: :betty: :bosko: :buddy: :crow: :fox: :magoo: :donald: :fethry: :goofy: :mickey: :minnie: :scrooge: :willy: :ozzie: :woody:

Woody Woodpecker

• Researchers
  • 11th Incarnation
    • View Profile
Re: So when did Disney colorize the black and white Mickey Mouse cartoons?
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 12:05:39 am »
*The  GALLOPIN' GAUCHO   1928
*THE BARN DANCE   1928
Plane Crazy   1928
*MICKEY'S CHOO-CHOO   1929
*THE JAZZ FOOL   1929
*WILD WAVES   1929
*THE CHAIN GANG [not aired domestically in color AFAIK]   1930
*THE PICNIC   1930
*The Barnyard Concert   1930
PIONEER DAYS   1930
Playful Pan (Silly Symphony)   1930
*MICKEY STEPS OUT   1931
*BLUE RHYTHM   1931
*FISHIN' AROUND   1931
*MICKEY CUTS UP   1931
*THE BARNYARD BROADCAST   1931
*THE BEACH PARTY   1931
*THE CASTAWAY   1931
GORILLA MYSTERY   1931
MICKEY'S ORPHANS   1931
THE BIRTHDAY PARTY   1931
THE DELIVERY BOY   1931
THE SPIDER AND THE FLY (silly Symphonies)   1931
*MICKEY'S NIGHTMARE   1932
*THE DUCK HUNT   1932
*THE KLONDIKE KID   1932
*THE MAD DOG   1932
*THE WAYWARD CANARY   1932
MICKEY IN ARABIA (thanks Disney Channel)   1932
*MICKEY'S GOOD DEED   1932
MICKEY'S REVUE   1932
THE GROCERY BOY   1932
THE WHOOPEE PARTY   1932
*TOUCHDOWN MICKEY   1932
*BUILDING A BUILDING   1933
*GIANTLAND   1933
*MICKEY'S MECHANICAL MAN   1933
*PUPPY LOVE   1933
*THE STEEPLECHASE   1933
*MICKEY'S GALA PREMIERE   1933
THE MAD DOCTOR   1933
THE MAIL PILOT   1933
THE PET STORE   1933
*YE OLDEN DAYS   1933
*TWO-GUN MICKEY   1934
*MICKEY'S STEAMROLLER   1934
*PLAYFUL PLUTO   1934
CAMPING OUT   1934
GULLIVER MICKEY   1934
MICKEY PLAYS PAPA   1934
ORPHANS' BENEFIT 1934 version    1934
SHANGHAIED   1934
THE DOGNAPPER   1934
*MICKEY'S KANGAROO   1935
*MICKEY'S SERVICE STATION   1935

(*) = can be viewed on youtube, currently. In mixed quality some are even in Italian or German Dub.

This list was originally created by David Gerstein on the old GAC, I added those chartoons not originally listed by David. So this now give us 55 cartoons. I think you can find at least ca 30 on youtube. So I'm not sure if this list is still 100% acurrate.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:52:58 pm by Woody Woodpecker »
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton
"Empty paper, means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one" ~ Doc Brown form Back to the future Triology