Author Topic: We must support the continuation of the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection!  (Read 8020 times)

Senbei Norimaki

• Dunka hunka lunka
    • View Profile
Screw the double dip Platinum collection.  They should restart the Gold Collection.

NicKramer

• View Profile
For the last time, I do not consider cartoons that have not been released to Blue-Ray to be double-dips.  Besides, even if the Golden Collection does restart on DVD, how will you know they won't literally restart the series by re-releasing volume one in a new package?

raginggoodfella

• View Profile
Hey Nic, are you spy for WHV? Because you defend every fuck up that WHV releases to to general public. I'm not sorry that I don't spend my money on triple dipping or should I say in some cases 10 times dipping if you count VHS and laserdiscs. And I never begged for a blu ray release, so don't blame me for your WHV friends' fuck ups? Still you want to defend the WHV reasoing behind the MOUSE CLEANING omission from vol 1 and  vol 2?

Looney Tunes Fan

• Researchers
  • Eh...What's Up Doc?
    • View Profile
For the last time, I do not consider cartoons that have not been released to Blue-Ray to be double-dips.  Besides, even if the Golden Collection does restart on DVD, how will you know they won't literally restart the series by re-releasing volume one in a new package?
Hey Nic, are you spy for WHV? Because you defend every fuck up that WHV releases to to general public. I'm not sorry that I don't spend my money on triple dipping or should I say in some cases 10 times dipping if you count VHS and laserdiscs. And I never begged for a blu ray release, so don't blame me for your WHV friends' fuck ups? Still you want to defend the WHV reasoing behind the MOUSE CLEANING omission from vol 1 and  vol 2?

Jesus dude give him a break. He's entitled to his own  opinion as much as you are.
I love classic cartoons!
25th member of The IAD forums! The NEW GAC forums!  :bugs: :andy: :audrey: :barney: :betty: :bosko: :buddy: :crow: :fox: :magoo: :donald: :fethry: :goofy: :mickey: :minnie: :scrooge: :willy: :ozzie: :woody:

King Delbert

• View Profile
And you wonder why I don't like threads about Golden Age animation on DVD or Blu-ray?

Leviathan

• View Profile
And who cares about you, Delbert?

Anyway, if Platinum #3 is still on track for christmas, then it isn't the delayed set Jerry was talking about.

red_demon

• View Profile

My point exactally, they are already starting with the "Academy Awards Animation Collection" Take the Tom n' Jerry releases currently released, all double dips with the exception of I thinks 3 from "Gene Deitch Years".

NicKramer

• View Profile

No, but then again, I'm not the one who bashed J.B. when they first started the "Platnum Collection".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:16:36 pm by NicKramer »

Professor Bluteau

• View Profile
For the last time, I do not consider cartoons that have not been released to Blue-Ray to be double-dips. 

Well, they're one-and-a-half dips, in the sense that you can already play the cartoons released on DVD on a Blu-Ray player. Granted, the quality's lower, it's better than what happens if you try to insert a VHS tape/Laserdisc etc.  :tweetie:

But either way, the whole operation could have been handled so much more elegantly. For instance, remember the two-disc Spotlight Collections that came out alongside the Golden Collections? Using a similar system, they could have continued on Blu-Ray where the GCs left off, with a two-disc set of new-to-DVD-and-Blu-Ray shorts released alongside a four-disc set which added a bunch of cartoons from the GCs. At least then we'd all have (a) had the choice, and (b) known where we stood. Instead they simply pushed the reset button, which just rubbed a lot of us up the wrong way.

speedy fast

• View Profile

I kind of want to chime in on the double-dipping argument over Blu-Ray verses every other video format. I collected all of the Golden Collections and most of the Super Stars releases (and the Mouse Chronicles set). Those are not the only DVDs featuring Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts, but when it comes to repeats on DVD (and released-on-DVD shorts coming to blu-ray), I mainly care about whether they were released in any of the above-mentioned sets. And I know that most of the Super Stars releases and Mouse Chronicles do include at least one repeat from the Golden Collections, but at least the amount of cartoons not on previous Golden Collections outnumbers it. When it comes to new Looney Tunes releases, I don't care if it was a bonus short on a non-Looney Tunes DVD release, or even if it includes one of the few remastered cartoons that doesn't appear in any Golden Collections, Platinum Collections, Super Stars, or Mouse Chronicles (among the few are A Wild Hare and Porky's Duck Hunt). It would be great if Warner Home Video would put out a DVD of all the shorts that were newly-remastered for the Platinum Collections. I'm not really surprised that the Platinums are mostly comprised of cartoons that had already been remastered and released on DVD years ago. It means less work on them (I wonder if they did any extra work on the already-remastered shorts).

Of course, back in the VHS era, I pretty much didn't care about repeating shorts on VHS. In fact I often thought up my own wishlists in my head for videos I wanted to see made and shorts included, often including stuff that I knew had been released on video. Of course I didn't have many Looney Tunes VHS releases... Of the commercially-released shorts VHS compilations I only had three Warner Home Video releases and quite a few public domain tapes (in addition to recording many off TV). It really wasn't until I saw The Bugs Bunny Video Guide around 1999 that I started caring. When the first Golden Collection came out, I was disappointed that the majority of shorts had already been released on VHS, though the following volumes would include more new-to-video-format shorts.

Looney Tunes Fan

• Researchers
  • Eh...What's Up Doc?
    • View Profile
My god guys give Nick and Delbert a break stop bashing them. >__>
I love classic cartoons!
25th member of The IAD forums! The NEW GAC forums!  :bugs: :andy: :audrey: :barney: :betty: :bosko: :buddy: :crow: :fox: :magoo: :donald: :fethry: :goofy: :mickey: :minnie: :scrooge: :willy: :ozzie: :woody:

NicKramer

• View Profile
The last two posters weren't bashing me or Delbert.  They just gave their opinion of the Blu-Ray debate in a lot more calming manner which I prefer than the whining manner.

To be perfectly honest, I don't have the "Platinum" sets either only because I don't have a Blu-Ray player.  I mean what good are Blu-Ray discs when you don't have a Blu-Ray player? I'd get them otherwise.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:48:35 am by NicKramer »

speedy fast

• View Profile

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post is that I'll be pleasantly surprised at this point if there ever is a new Looney Tunes DVD release that does not contain at least one short that was already released as part of a Golden Collection or Super Stars release. I know that it's possible, but I'll still be pleasantly surprised. The majority of types of releases I can think of (like an all-black and white Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies collection, or a post-1964 collection, or a "Censored Eleven" set) seem unlikely. Though I'm sure there could be a single-disc Road Runner release with only new-to-DVD cartoons. I am surprised that the recent Porky and Friends release had one double-dip... If they ran out of color Porky cartoons (and I know China Jones hasn't been on DVD, but I consider that a Daffy cartoon more than a Porky cartoon) they could have just included one less Porky cartoon (if the set needed 18 cartoons maybe use the extra space for a Wolf and Sheepdog cartoon) or one less cartoon period.

Looney Tunes Fan

• Researchers
  • Eh...What's Up Doc?
    • View Profile
The last two posters weren't bashing me or Delbert.  They just gave their opinion of the Blu-Ray debate in a lot more calming manner which I prefer than the whining manner.

I know that, but even still no one should be bashing either of you.
I love classic cartoons!

jazzman78

• View Profile
I Think somebody may have mentined it earlier - but I think it bears repeating. 

I feel the Warner Brother should continued the series either the Golden or Platnum via Warner Archives. The extras are nice but really not necessary.  They have continuted differnet TV series box set that way.  Why not the Cartoons which could be issued on DVD or BlueRay (most likely not both).  There are a good number on films that have not made it to home video since the Laser Box Sets were issued and still more that never made it to that format.   Most of my intrest lies in the pre-1950 material and there is still a good number missing from the list of released cartoons during that period.

To me it's the smarter way to go and they don't have to press a few 1000 sets to make the money back and they also won't have to put out the cost of advertising as they have for other projects.

HS  :bosko: