Author Topic: We must support the continuation of the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection!  (Read 8348 times)

tonyboy85

• View Profile
At the "Looney Tunes Platinum Collection on Blu-ray Reviews" thread at the blu-ray.com forums,

KCota15 has said:

"So I have some bad news. I just emailed Jerry Beck and he said although there will be a Volume 3, it won't be out until around Christmas due to poor sales and the series might not be continued after that"
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=176841&page=24

But I responded with bravery, not cowardice!:

"Now hold on, just because the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection could end after vol. 3, doesn't mean that it CAN end!

in 2006, Leonard Maltin said that the Walt Disney Treasures (dvd) are ending and will be replaced by the Walt Disney Legacy collection (dvd) in 2007, but in 2007, because of popular demand, the Walt Disney Company makes the Walt Disney Treasures continue on from 2007 to 2009, & the Walt Disney Legacy collection was short-lived.

& on the other side of Burbank, according to what the people said, the WB studios is about to end the Looney Tunes Golden Collection (dvd) after vol. 5 in 2007, but suddenly, they had a change of heart, & are going to release a new volume of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection one more time in 2008.

& the dvds of "Tiny Toon Adventures" and "Animaniacs" did not continue with their new volumes until in 2013 that they finally got their long-overdue new volumes!

So if you people out there have supported the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection, then I say do the best you can with mails and e-mails, campaigns and petitions, & buy the 3rd volume immediately, stores & online!

& maybe, just maybe, the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection can continue on, maybe all the way to 2019! Because you people do love and supported Looney Tunes!

& Jerry Beck, if you read this, you are always welcome to support this!"
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=176841&page=25

So what do you say, people?
We can win if we are brave & will never give up!

& as Bugs Bunny says...
"Looks like this boy scout's gonna do his good deed for the day" ("Hare Trimmed" 1953)
& "You realize that this is not going to go unchallenged" ("Barbary-Coast Bunny" 1956)

Spread the word about this subject at...
the "Golden Age Cartoons" facebook page,
the "General DVD Discussion" section at the "DVDizzy.com" forums,
& the "Retro: Classic Cartoons" section at the "ToonZone" forums.

& show your support & demands by posting comments on the "WB Classic Animation" facebook page.

NicKramer

• View Profile
Didn't Jerry said in his email to this user not to tell anyone?  He said that to me and I was going to keep quiet about it till Jerry makes an official annoucment about it.

raginggoodfella

• View Profile
Hello tonyboy85, I wouldn't worry about WHV stopping for a time 'cause they will start it up again. The new sets will contain  a couple new to dvd/blu cartoons mixed with a  bunch of double and triple dripping. And then WHV will complain about poor sales. I guess WB hasn't figured out that  not all cartoon fans will buy every WVH crap product in hope that they release a proper set(complete Avery, unfucked up Tom and Jerry, more of the WB golden collections)Read BIGSHOT's post over at the other forum, tonyboy85.

tonyboy85

• View Profile
Didn't Jerry said in his email to this user not to tell anyone?  He said that to me and I was going to keep quiet about it till Jerry makes an official annoucment about it.

Well, I'm sorry about that.

But I have to tell everyone to support The Looney Tunes Platinum Collection for not just the people of U.S.A. , but also for Jerry Beck, Leonard Maltin, Martha Sigall, & the people of the whole world!

speedy fast

• View Profile

I'm not too interested in these. The majority of cartoons have been released on the Golden Collection and Super Stars releases, which I'm not really surprised by. I would be interested in certain cartoons on the bonus discs, and perhaps the new-to-DVD cartoons, but at the same time, are they THAT worth it?

At least when previously-released cartoons appear in Super Stars, they are outnumbered by new-to-DVD cartoons. And I hope that, whether the Platinum Collections continue or not, Warner will continue to put out new-to-DVD shorts.

NicKramer

• View Profile
Hello tonyboy85, I wouldn't worry about WHV stopping for a time 'cause they will start it up again. The new sets will contain  a couple new to dvd/blu cartoons mixed with a  bunch of double and triple dripping. And then WHV will complain about poor sales. I guess WB hasn't figured out that  not all cartoon fans will buy every WVH crap product in hope that they release a proper set(complete Avery, unfucked up Tom and Jerry, more of the WB golden collections)Read BIGSHOT's post over at the other forum, tonyboy85.

Aw, will you shut up about the double dipping crap?  It's partly your and a bunch of others fault we had a condensed DVD version of the "Platnumn Collection" because you couldn't stop whining about the BLU-RAY release.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 03:41:06 pm by NicKramer »

red_demon

• View Profile
If you follow the VHS/Beta, Laserdisc, DVD, and now the latest slice of bread Blu-ray, they have all double and triple dipped. Must be the nature of the "clean suits" to keep releasing the same thing but update or add a cartoon or two. I won't support it, I will rent, buy second hand and copy the format as I see fit. Thou I am also pondering film, ie. 16mm and 35mm as well.

King Delbert

• View Profile
We are not frozen in time here folks.  DVD sales are dead.  We are only a SPECK when it comes to cartoon collectors (or any classics collectors such as television and movies).  I believe that sales will go up because Netflix is taking away a lot of shows and DVD (and blu-ray) is something that no major company is going to take away from you.  No one is going to come up to your house and say, "hey, the deal to have these on DVD is over, we're taking your copy away." 
But getting back to the subject, I think the reason why volume two didn't sell as well is because vol one had a seperate major collectors addition with cels and a shot glass (I have that), not to mention the discs came in a digibook.  Vol 2 didn't have any bells and whistles like that, and thus cheaper and less money coming in.  Not to mention each volume sells less.  The economy is bad folks, I do not have the Hippity Hopper Super Stars nor the Popeye 1960s set that came out and why because I'm saving money.  And yes, the majority of the Looney Tunes are already out (course someone will then prove me wrong with numbers).  They got to at least restore the cartoons for the library's sake, not the DVD or blu-rays sake (well maybe blu-ray) 

red_demon

• View Profile
They should restore the cartoons regardless of sales, it is the suits that have invested in them for a profit. The golden age of cartoons if not restored by the suits will not make them anything. Don't give me copy wrong this and that, the suits only want the $. My point is they keep re-releasing the same over and over. Note, music wise I know what a 78RPM record is, a 45RPM, etc, just because tech advances shouldn't mean I have to buy the same thing 10 times over to get 1 new one.

red_demon

• View Profile
I will add to this, Warner Bros. I believe is the official studio, suits have no clue, my opinion. Take the Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collections, the first 2 had edited cartoons, they finally made replacements. Take the first two Super Stars releases, Bug's and Daffy's, they had reformatted 2/3 of the cartoons on each disc, no replacement  Now we have Blu-Ray, back to the Tom & Jerry, they decide not to release Vol. 2. And now is announced that Warner Bros, in their suits wisdom are deciding not to continue with the Looney Tunes Platinum? Hence my earlier post, I will not support them, when they get their head out, and release the way they was suppose to been seen, I may change my mind!

Reading Bug

• View Profile
Unfortunately, tonyboy85, the unreleased Looney Tunes (which includes the new-to-disc titles only available to general consumers via the Platinums or Super Stars) are far too many in number to be reasonably compared to your examples. There were a few remaining gems Disney perceived worthy of release under the Treasures banner - primarily the final Donald volumes no doubt - while Warner only had a single volume of Animaniacs left. The 600+ non-Golden Collection films are far greater in quantity and would require a more careful commitment to bring to collectors.

I believe there is still a market for unreleased Golden Age animation today. The Thunderbean/Olive Films/TCM UPA Jolly Frolics platform is the answer, however, not mass retail. If WHV can figure that out and adjust their expectations (but not their quality standards) for the Looney Tunes and other titles, we'll start getting what we want and how we want it.

tonyboy85

• View Profile
Now we have Blu-Ray, back to the Tom & Jerry, they decide not to release Vol. 2.

Actually, The "Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Vol. 2" is Delayed, NOT cancelled.

tonyboy85

• View Profile
I believe there is still a market for unreleased Golden Age animation today. The Thunderbean/Olive Films/TCM UPA Jolly Frolics platform is the answer, however, not mass retail.

I think "The TCM Vault Collection" was a good choice for "Looney Tunes", but "The Warner Archive" was another good choice, "The Warner Archive" was starting to have blu-ray releases anyway!

King Delbert

• View Profile
ahhh... but the problem is that the Looney Tunes are so well known that Warner Home Video has complete control over the cartoons, so Warner Archive may have some problems.  Course they were able to release Bugs Bunny Superstars.  Who knows?  TCM is a separate entity, and Warners does not want to sub-license the cartoons at this time

Reading Bug

• View Profile
...Warners does not want to sub-license the cartoons at this time

Perhaps that's where they would need to adjust.