Author Topic: "Empty Socks" (1927) found!  (Read 1148 times)

dbear

• View Profile
"Empty Socks" (1927) found!
« on: December 11, 2014, 06:40:22 am »
Courtesy of Norwegian news, this previously thought lost Oswald short has been found, thanks to the efforts of David Gerstein and the Norwegian National Library:
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&u=http://www.nrk.no/nordland/denne-87-ar-gamle-disneyfilmen-trodde-man-var-tapt-for-alltid-1.12094942&usg=ALkJrhhqI5PdtzQ_nNWy5Y0sajc-JeP-jg

The Dogfather/Toadette

• I'm an animatophilic shroom-girl!
    • View Profile
Re: "Empty Socks" (1927) found!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:16:11 am »
About a minute in the middle is still missing, though.

Still, thanks to David Gerstein and the National Library for finding this film before it completely disintegrated!

Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:22:47 am »
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! Of all the cartoons I've longed to see this is one of them as it combines two of my favourite things – Oswald and Christmas! O.K there's still some footage missing, but I'm so glad to hear that much of this cartoon survives and is being preserved. Plus according to the article, this film wasn't going to last much longer. A little Christmas miracle!

Looney Tunes Fan

• Researchers
  • Eh...What's Up Doc?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 09:17:17 pm »
I cannot believe it! It truly is a Christmas miracle that Walt Disney's only Christmas short staring Oswald was recovered during the Christmas season. Glad that this short can finally be seen, maybe Disney will release it online in time for the Christmas season? (doubtful but it'd be a nice gift).  :ozzie:
I love classic cartoons!
25th member of The IAD forums! The NEW GAC forums!  :bugs: :andy: :audrey: :barney: :betty: :bosko: :buddy: :crow: :fox: :magoo: :donald: :fethry: :goofy: :mickey: :minnie: :scrooge: :willy: :ozzie: :woody:

reybr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 10:38:34 am »
In this Norwegian article, you can also read a description of what is there and what part is missing

Quote from: Google translate
First sequence: Oswald the Lucky Rabbit arrive in St. Vitus Orphanage in horse sleigh. Through the window, he sees that it be read aloud to children from "The Night Before Christmas." Oswald takes on Santa Claus beard, taking gift sack on his back, put horns on his horse, and they climb the ladder to the roof and down the chimney. Inside it hung up socks. Oswald retrieves a Christmas tree from his bag. A kitten orphanage climbs down a staircase.

Missing sequence: In the missing sequence parts Oswald out gifts to the children. Various events take place with the various gifts and it ends with the kids set fire to a chair.

Latest scene: kids jumping with his toy fire truck over to the chair to extinguish it. They did not succeed with this and the fire spreads to the entire house. Oswald tries to save the burning house by connecting a hose to a fire hydrant. The mischievous kids watching a fuel tank next and connects on the hose to it. This causes the housing to burst.

Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 05:24:57 pm »
And here's a video with a brief clip from the cartoon:

http://www.kgns.tv/news/entertainment/headlines/Lost-Disney-movie-resurfaces-285608261.html

It's been mentioned that a fragment of this cartoon (about 25 seconds) exists at the Museum of Modern Art. I wonder if any of that footage contains some of what is missing from the newer discovery?

Tom Stathes

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 09:32:43 pm »
Quick answer: no, it does not...sadly the film is still incomplete on the whole.

Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 04:26:46 am »
That's a pity. Thanks for answering my question.

Mister Bighead

• Researcher
  • Head Toad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 04:58:02 pm »
I'm glad another once lost Oswald short was found and was later archived in a digital format. I really hope Disney will release this along with Hungry Hobos to the public.  :ozzie:
Happy Holidays, everyone!