Author Topic: New Mickey Mouse shorts coming in 2013?!  (Read 20339 times)

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
New Mickey Mouse shorts coming in 2013?!
« on: March 07, 2013, 02:56:03 pm »
I found this earlier this week:

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30527&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

So what do you think? Great news or what?

NicKramer

• View Profile
Re: New Mickey Mouse shorts coming in 2013?!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 05:20:36 pm »
I knew they were going to do something special for Mickey's 85th birthday, and this might be it.  Hopefully they will be hand-drawn and some new animation talents will be showcased. 

eutychus

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
    • View Profile
    • The Internet Animation Database
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 08:20:36 am »
I knew they were going to do something special for Mickey's 85th birthday, and this might be it.  Hopefully they will be hand-drawn and some new animation talents will be showcased.

Not a good bet. Read this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/mar/07/disney-hand-drawn-animation

wiley207

• I'm back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 08:36:19 am »
WHAT?!

John Lasseter says that's just for feature films. So far there isn't any other movies planned after "Frozen." Animated shorts in 2D are still a possibility. But at least Disney isn't trying to become a DreamWorks clone like they did with "Chicken Little." Their "Tangled" and "Wreck-It Ralph" were both different in ways from the usual CGI feature fare, and it looks like "The Snow Queen" will be to.

I'm also reminded when DreamWorks publicly considered hand-drawn animation dead after the failure of "Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Season," and then Warner Bros. also considered theatrical hand-drawn animation dead when "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" failed miserably. (At least THAT stopped Sander Schwartz from making more of those awful 2003 Looney Tunes shorts!)

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 11:47:13 am »

Not a good bet. Read this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/mar/07/disney-hand-drawn-animation

Yeah, I noticed that article right after I typed that message.  I spoke too soon.   I don't know what else to say. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:48:48 am by NicKramer »

Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 02:53:45 pm »
I heard on the radio today that from now on Disney will be going "CGI all the way" with no more hand drawn films. However, it seems that it's a kind of blanket statement. There are still people at Disney Animation working on hand drawn shorts see here:
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/hand-drawn.html

No idea if there will be any new hand drawn cartoons starring Mickey, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were working on at least one. It's been 18 years since Runaway Brain and over 10 since House of Mouse. It's gotta be about time for Disney to release a new cartoon with Mickey in a different costume and put that image on a load of new products.

wiley207

• I'm back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 03:12:07 pm »
It's still sad as of now Disney is going to stay away from classic-style 2-D animated features. First Cartoon Network plays that awful episode of "What's New Scooby-Doo" ripping off "The Great Mouse Detective," and now this!

Maybe a reason why "Winnie-the-Pooh" didn't do so well was because the public thought it was some crummy overseas-animated cheapquel like "Piglet's Big Movie" and "Pooh's Heffalump Movie?"

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:27:23 am »
So are they doing traditional animated shorts again or not?  If so, I'm guessing they're taking baby steps before they could (hopefully) do traditional animated films again.

Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 05:32:20 pm »
Nic, check the link in my post. Disney Animation Studios have no plans for a hand drawn animated feature at the moment, but they are working on hand drawn shorts. Any information about what these shorts will be about or how many are planned has not yet been revealed. Ron Clements and John Musker are *developing* a feature that will have elements of hand drawn animation in it, but what that means exactly we don't yet know – it's not supposed to look like any traditional hand drawn film or like Paperman. I wouldn't get too excited though. Artists at Disney have developed films which promised to showcase a whole new look and/or tell a different kind of story before, but it usually gets very watered down before it reaches the screen.

wiley207

• I'm back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 06:30:52 pm »
So as NicKramer said, starting with hand-drawn shorts before going back to hand-drawn features is a good idea. I remember around 2006-2007 they announced to do several theatrical hand-animated shorts, including experimental ones, musical one-shots, and starring familiar characters. This is how we got "How to Hook Up Your Home Theater" (which is way better than the made-for-TV "How To" shorts the "House of Mouse" had) and "Paperman!"

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 04:31:44 pm »
I wouldn't get too excited though. Artists at Disney have developed films which promised to showcase a whole new look and/or tell a different kind of story before, but it usually gets very watered down before it reaches the screen.

That only happened a few times (mainly, in the early 2000s) and "Bolt", although some films (like "Bolt") turned out okay anyway, even if they didn't used Sanders' designs for the later.

Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 04:37:28 am »
I've found the recent Disney films enjoyable and well worth watching, but there's a difference between that and being completely surprised by a thoroughly entertaining movie that has a whole new look or tells an unexpected kind of story (or even a film where the goal really was to do something new and excellent, but ended with mixed results – like the original Fantasia). When you look at the films from Disney Animation over the past 19 years (post Lion King when a definite formula had emerged) there seems to be a lot of missed opportunities and quite a lot of disappointments.

I've heard Hunchback was meant to be a lot darker and a very different kind of movie. I believe Atlantis and Treasure Planet were supposed to have been very different, but neither turned out too well. Lilo and Stitch was a quirky highlight, but the creators are now elsewhere. Home on the Range went through many changes is one of the worst Disney films. Disney's earlier CGI films weren't as good as Pixar's (and by the time they came out the CGI look was no longer new or different). Bolt was supposed to have a much quirkier tale with a brand new look. Tangled was supposed to look like a painting and have a different kind of story. In the late 2000s a big deal was made of a return to 2D features, but only two were made – a princess movie which added a much need ethnicity to a flourishing franchise and another Pooh film – before an announcement was made that they are no plans for any more.

NicKramer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 08:31:04 am »
Ok, I get it. You didn't have to rub it in.  And I didn't think "Home on the Range" was that bad.  Maybe if they made the lead character a bull.  I don't know.

And there was, of course, that "documentary" (or what was supposed to be) called "Sweatbox".

King Delbert

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 03:10:13 pm »

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 03:41:05 pm »
OK I'm diggin this. I'm really digging this. :)