Author Topic: THE FUNNY COMPANY- Vintage 60s Toon on Christian Broadcasting Channel TBN  (Read 1589 times)

drmark7

• View Profile
As I type this at 2am on Saturday morning, I am watching THE FUNNY COMPANY!!! LOUSY prints are in shades of GREEN and RED. But WILD that they are on AT ALL!!! Even WILDER is the episode I'm watching is their look at the filming of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA!!! See info below on where I'm watching...- Dr. Mark

THE FUNNY COMPANY
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299913

*_*_*
WSFJ Channel 51
Programming: TBN
City: Newark, OH
Owner: Trinity Broadcasting Network
Station Info: Digital Full-Power - 1000 kW
Market: Columbus, OH

Digital Subchannels:
51.1 WSFJ/TBN
51.2 Church Channel (Shows vintage BISHOP FULTON SHEEN episodes)
51.3 JCTV (Is a 24 hour "Christian Rock Video channel")
51.4 Enlace USA (Spanish channel- seems to have some
                           "Telemundo-esque" programming.)
51.5 Smile of a Child (24 hour childrens programing.
                                 Shows one feature film on FRIDAY NIGHT.)

http://www.smileofachildtv.org/watch/schedule_weekview.php

Unusual offerings include: Episodes of vintage BISHOP FULTON J. SHEEN broadcasts from the 1960s on Saturday mornings at 11am, a weekend movie (Most have been from 20th FOX) on SMILES channel, episodes of LASSIE and THE FUNNY COMPANY (An *ultra-rare* 60s children's cartoon show) on SMILES, and RETRO NEWS (also on SMILES) that is made up of VINTAGE black and white NEWSREELS from the 1930s, 40s and 50s- that would be of interest to fans of the movie GIZMO!!!!!

Apparently, they have showed THE FUNNY COMPANY on this channel as early as 2008!!!
Questions?/Comments? * This Has Been e-mail From:
"Dr. Mark" Hill * The Doctor Of Pop Culture

CyberFox

• View Profile
Re: THE FUNNY COMPANY- Vintage 60s Toon on Christian Broadcasting Channel TBN
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 04:09:35 am »
The sad fact is i doubt whomever had the rights currently has the masters to restore them in proper condition

Mark The Shark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 08:49:45 am »
I have been following the showings of The Funny Company and trying to record them since I got the channel a couple years ago. (It airs on "Smile Of A Child.") Now basically, if you've seen one of these, you've pretty much seen them all, so I guess I don't quote unquote "need" all 260 of them. But from DVR-ing them every week, it's evident that these are not "official" showings. They are licensed from a public domain distributor whose name is escaping me at the moment, but they did video transfers of the cartoons from 16mm (evidently some years ago) and superimposed their own copyright notice over the titles. So most of the cartoons have these weird "freeze-frames" in the opening titles to cover that up, though one will pop up here and there with it left in. Like I said, the name of the distributor is escaping me, but I remember seeing the show listed on their site and it said they had 260 segments in color. What Smile shows is less than half of that, maybe around two dozen half-hours of six cartoons each (if that), which rotate over and over. Sometimes they'll show the same set of six cartoons twice in one week. It appears to be completely random. In a few cases the same cartoon will appear twice within the half-hour. Most are faded but a few have great color. One or two have been sourced from black and white prints. Anyway, I'm glad to have what I've been able to get off the channel, it's better than nothing.

I caught Bishop Sheen once too. That was cool.

I remember picking up some DVD from VCI, IIRC -- might have been "Space Angel" or possibly "Fractured Flickers" -- and there were some promos for upcoming DVDs on there. One was The Funny Company, although the clip they used was black and white. As far as I know, nothing ever happened with that.

These were done by Ken Snyder, who also produced "Roger Ramjet." I believe TV Spots may have done the animation. I don't know who would officially "own" them (though like I said they appear to be PD). The last time they "officially" ran on Chicago TV was in the mid-1980s. This is one of those things a person will appreciate basically if they grew up watching it -- though it does meet the current "EI" requirement, which I assume is the main reason they're being shown at all. (I remember seeing them on Garfield Goose in Chicago.)

There is somewhat of an episode guide on Wikipedia but it appears to be incomplete. Also, some of the same titles are listed more than once. But that may be because sometimes more than one short will have the same subject matter and maybe even use the same live-action segment.

Anyway, I'm glad they're running them somewhere!

Moleoman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 04:04:57 pm »
They are licensed from a public domain distributor whose name is escaping me at the moment, but they did video transfers of the cartoons from 16mm (evidently some years ago) and superimposed their own copyright notice over the titles. So most of the cartoons have these weird "freeze-frames" in the opening titles to cover that up, though one will pop up here and there with it left in.
I found through detective-googling that "The Funny Company" is licensed by Reel Media International. According to their site they also licensed "Colonel Bleep": http://www.reelmediainternational.com/animation.htm

I'll note also that the prints of "The Funny Company" used at least on Smile of a Child TV Network are PAL speeduped.

Calvin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 10:40:49 pm »
Does anybody know if there is a complete cartoon list for The Funny Company? The Big Cartoon Database shows a total of 194 - so they are missing 66 of them.

Mark The Shark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 09:35:09 am »
They are licensed from a public domain distributor whose name is escaping me at the moment, but they did video transfers of the cartoons from 16mm (evidently some years ago) and superimposed their own copyright notice over the titles. So most of the cartoons have these weird "freeze-frames" in the opening titles to cover that up, though one will pop up here and there with it left in.
I found through detective-googling that "The Funny Company" is licensed by Reel Media International. According to their site they also licensed "Colonel Bleep": http://www.reelmediainternational.com/animation.htm

I'll note also that the prints of "The Funny Company" used at least on Smile of a Child TV Network are PAL speeduped.

That's the company. As far as speedup, I bet it's more likely they could be time-compressed. Although I have a half dozen or so in 16mm and the running times seem about right.