Jerry Beck on Stu's Show - 12/20/17- Page 2 - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WaltWiz1901  
#21 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:29:07 AM(UTC)
WaltWiz1901

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 69 post(s)
So, that show actually wasn't bad at all.......I didn't like waiting for what I would find more interesting, but the bulk of the information handed out to us were great.

I am definitely going to have a lot of new home media releases to buy next year, that's for sure!
SuperMuppet64  
#22 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:34:52 AM(UTC)
SuperMuppet64

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 21 post(s)
hearing about that thunderbean felix release is what really made me jump for joy, even if it was only a small crumb of information
PorkyPigfan90  
#23 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:35:33 AM(UTC)
PorkyPigfan90

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Did they mention anything about the sales of the Porky set?
Toonatic  
#24 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:58:11 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 208 time(s) in 154 post(s)
They're about to turn a figure if it was my understanding.

They also stated that if you want this to continue to sell, give the set to someone you love this holiday. ;)
User is suspended until 6/14/2292 4:56:53 PM(UTC) LuckyToon  
#25 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:05:54 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toonatic Go to Quoted Post
Net neutrality talk now. Honestly, if streaming is affected, I could care less (granted SuperMansion is on Crackle). Besides, it means good news for physical media and cable. Feel free to disagree with me.

On the bright side, it might also mean streaming sites like Netflix can look further into releasing their content on DVD/Blu-ray.

I'm disagree, since I'm so much into the internet. But I hope we win the battle since the internet belongs to us and not the business companies.
nickramer  
#26 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 1:06:46 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 231 time(s) in 191 post(s)
For those that weren't playing at home, the following cartoons that Jerry played were:

"Santa's Surprise" (Famous, 1947) as seen on the New Years show.

"Magic Mummy" (Van Buran, 1933)

"Merry Mannequins" (Columbia, 1937)
tonyboy85  
#27 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 5:39:38 PM(UTC)
tonyboy85

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Keep on buying Warner Archive's DVD "Porky Pig 101" as best as you can!

& remember my 2 posts in this thread.:

IAD Forums Thread:
" Warner Archive presents "Porky Pig Black and White Shorts"! ":

Post #50:
http://www.intanibase.co...k-and-White-Shorts/page3

Post #142:
http://www.intanibase.co...k-and-White-Shorts/page8

Mesterius  
#28 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:26:21 PM(UTC)
Mesterius

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 38 post(s)

They also stated that if you want this to continue to sell, give the set to someone you love this holiday. ;)

Is that all that was said, or did they also discuss the various reactions to – and problems with – the set? Did Jerry address the audio errors at all?

The text promised "a special look at how the WB Archives Porky Pig 101 set is doing"... so I was expecting the set to be a main subject.
dbear  
#29 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:54:51 PM(UTC)
dbear

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 84 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mesterius Go to Quoted Post

Is that all that was said, or did they also discuss the various reactions to – and problems with – the set? Did Jerry address the audio errors at all?

Short answer: Yes

Didn't take down comprehensive notes but the gist was Jerry did blame himself for talking George Feltenstein into lowering his standards of perfection just to get the set out from the material that could be made available to them on a limited budget. He still reaffirms he is proud of the set regardless of its legitimate issues. He really wants to see his "experiment" sell well just to convince the higher-ups a market does exist which would ideally "loosen the funds" for more properly restored Warner Archive classic cartoon sets.

Stu mainly lambasted the petty infighting with fans online and encouraged listeners to buy it out of appreciation to the hard work of Jerry and George. A letter he read out succinctly addressed the positive aspects of the set in allowing the viewer to trace chronologically the evolution of the studio, the startling backlash against a certain animation historian pointing out legitimate mistakes and the paradox/dilemma of supporting a flawed set just in hope it could lead to more (and potentially better) sets (as Michael Barrier discussed in his review).

thanks 2 users thanked dbear for this useful post.
Toadette on 12/22/2017(UTC), Jason Todd on 12/22/2017(UTC)
Mesterius  
#30 Posted : Friday, December 22, 2017 12:35:07 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: dbear Go to Quoted Post

Didn't take down comprehensive notes but the gist was Jerry did blame himself for talking George Feltenstein into lowering his standards of perfection just to get the set out from the material that could be made available to them on a limited budget. He still reaffirms he is proud of the set regardless of its legitimate issues. He really wants to see his "experiment" sell well just to convince the higher-ups a market does exist which would ideally "loosen the funds" for more properly restored Warner Archive classic cartoon sets.

Stu mainly lambasted the petty infighting with fans online and encouraged listeners to buy it out of appreciation to the hard work of Jerry and George. A letter he read out succinctly addressed the positive aspects of the set in allowing the viewer to trace chronologically the evolution of the studio, the startling backlash against a certain animation historian pointing out legitimate mistakes and the paradox/dilemma of supporting a flawed set just in hope it could lead to more (and potentially better) sets (as Michael Barrier discussed in his review).

Thanks for the details. :) To be honest, it's been a couple of years since I actually listened to one of Stu's Shows featuring Jerry in full. They used to get me excited for upcoming releases, but these days (maybe especially considering all the disappointments regarding Warner Bros. ever since Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Volume 2), it's hard to drum up that same kind of enthusiasm for taking an hour and a half listening to these. And Thundebean projects I tend to hear about through "Thunderbean Thursday".

When you say Stu "lambasted" fans' infighting, did that lambasting include all the hostility against Thad after he pointed out the errors? I'm glad he at least presented the matter from more than one perspective through that letter... though his "just buy it" recommendation sounds pretty one-sided.
thanks 1 user thanked Mesterius for this useful post.
Thad Komorowski on 12/22/2017(UTC)
Sinbad75  
#31 Posted : Friday, December 22, 2017 1:21:19 AM(UTC)
Sinbad75

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I was a little concerned that the message from Steve Stanchfield read by Jerry did not mention "Mr. Bug Goes to Town" as a Thunderbean Blu-ray project for 2018. I hope this was an oversight and not due to another lengthy delay, or God forbid, a cancellation. Any forum members have insights about this?
Kristjan  
#32 Posted : Friday, December 22, 2017 5:55:33 AM(UTC)
Kristjan

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)

In wake of Stu's comments he's correct regarding armchair QB is not doing anyone favor not those who write it, those who its directed at and then everyone inbetween.. I have expressed my views regarding that particular blog post, but sometimes it s better to express concerns in private specially if that particular author could have gotten himself involved in the set before it came out.

nickramer  
#33 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2017 2:38:57 AM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 231 time(s) in 191 post(s)

Whatever happened to being optimistic? Wait, don't answer that. I don't want this thread to steer way off-topic.

Steve Stanchfield  
#34 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2017 10:08:47 AM(UTC)
Steve Stanchfield

Was thanked: 447 time(s) in 133 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sinbad75 Go to Quoted Post
I was a little concerned that the message from Steve Stanchfield read by Jerry did not mention "Mr. Bug Goes to Town" as a Thunderbean Blu-ray project for 2018. I hope this was an oversight and not due to another lengthy delay, or God forbid, a cancellation. Any forum members have insights about this?

I'm concerned too... it's on hold. Business office stuff not in my hands and not at Thunderbean. All I can say.
thanks 3 users thanked Steve Stanchfield for this useful post.
PopKorn Kat on 12/23/2017(UTC), SuperMuppet64 on 12/23/2017(UTC), dbear on 12/23/2017(UTC)
Sinbad75  
#35 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2017 10:53:58 AM(UTC)
Sinbad75

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Steve Stanchfield Go to Quoted Post

I'm concerned too... it's on hold. Business office stuff not in my hands and not at Thunderbean. All I can say.

Thanks for the update Steve. I know we are all pulling for you on this, and will hope for a positive outcome!
Mesterius  
#36 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2017 11:11:01 AM(UTC)
Mesterius

Originally Posted by: Steve Stanchfield Go to Quoted Post

Damn! :O Hope everything works out... this is one release I've REALLY been looking forward to.