Bugs Bunny filmography to be complete on DVD - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
speedy fast  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 1, 2017 12:17:16 PM(UTC)
speedy fast

Groups: Registered, Researcher
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I just found a press release from a great video news site:

This September, Bugs Bunny's entire filmography will FINALLY be completely remastered and released on DVD and Blu-Ray with The Complete Bugs Bunny Collection, an 8-disc collection (4-discs for the Blu-ray) containing every Bugs Bunny short from 1940s A Wild Hare to 2004s Daffy Duck for President. Every short will be presented in its original aspect ratio.

Each disc will contain some bonus features as well. Bonus features will include:
*All existing audio commentaries from previous DVD releases, as well as all-new commentary tracks on such shorts as All This and Rabbit Stew, Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips, Racketeer Rabbit, Hot Cross Bunny, Apes of Wrath, Person to Bunny, Carrotblanca, and more.
*Before Bugs: Porky's Hare Hunt, Prest-O Change-O, Hare 'Um Scare 'Um, and Elmer's Candid Camera.
*Cameo Cartoons: Porky Pig's Feat, Crazy Cruise, The Goofy Gophers, and Duck Amuck - as well as the Private Snafu cartoons Gas and Three Brothers, and even the George Pal Puppetoon short Jasper Goes Hunting.
*Made-for-TV Shorts: Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol, Fright Before Christmas, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Bunny, and Spaced-Out Bunny - all with their title cards/opening credit sequences.
*Movie Cameos: Clips from My Dream is Yours, Two Guys from Texas, and Gremlins 2.
*Lobby Card Gallery
*Storyboards for A Wild Hare, The Heckling Hare, and What's Opera, Doc?
*Hare Ribbin' Directors Cut (Blu-ray exclusive)
*Television specials Happy Birthday Bugs: Fifty Looney Years and What's Up, Doc?: A Salute to Bugs Bunny (both Blu-ray exclusives)
*Happy Birthday Bugs in 3 1/2 Minutes
*The Bugs Bunny Show opening (Blu-ray exclusive)
*Prince Varment opening credits sequence
*June Bugs promos and bumpers (some will be on both sets, many will be Blu-ray exclusives)

This set is expected to retail at 300 dollars for the DVD and 380 for the Blu-ray.

For those who don't want to pay the high prices, there will be a cheaper alternative, and that is Wabbit Finished: The Rest of Bugs Bunny, a two-disc DVD set containing 43 of the remaining unremastered, unreleased Bugs Bunny shorts. Select retailers will also include a special download code for the remaining four shorts - All This and Rabbit Stew, Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips, Any Bonds Today?, and Which is Witch? - as well as a poster-sized checklist of all Bugs Bunny cartoons, listing what DVD releases contain each short in remastered form. The set will retail for 28 dollars.

A representative of Warner Home Video was quoted as saying, "for the last few years, we've run out of a remastering budget for the shorts. But in the last few months, many fans have been e-mailing us a "Finish the Wabbit" post from The Bugs Bunny Video Guide, sales of existing Looney Tunes releases have hit a record high considering how long ago they've been released, and we've already got an impressive amount of profit from subscribers of our new Boomerang streaming service despite many complaints about it. So we thought we should remaster all remaining Bugs Bunny shorts. If these sell well, then we'll follow it next year with The Complete Daffy Duck and The Rest of Daffy Duck, and then we'll decide who to complete after that."

And finally, for casual fans, there will also be a single-disc Bugs Bunny compilation, 25 Bugs Bunny Classics.

Contents will include:
*A Wild Hare
*Hold the Lion, Please!
*Jack Rabbit and the Beanstalk
*Little Red Riding Rabbit
*Racketeer Rabbit
*Hair-Raising Hare
*Rabbit Transit
*Hot Cross Bunny
*High-Diving Hare
*The Hasty Hare
*Duck Rabbit Duck
*Beanstalk Bunny
*Show Biz Bugs
*This is a Life?
*Rabbit Rampage
*Rabbits Feat
*Napoleon Bunny-Part
*A Witch's Tangled Hare
*What's Opera, Doc?
*Wet Hare
*Person to Bunny
*The Unmentionables
*From Hare to Heir
*Bill of Hare
*False Hare

-Source: APRIL FOOLS!
speedy fast  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 2, 2017 10:22:34 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

And now for a behind-the-scenes look at the planning of this years April Fools thread.

I knew I wanted to do something related to Looney Tunes DVDs. With the "Finish the Wabbit" thing at The Bugs Bunny Video Guide, I felt this was the right choice - but I also considered a few things.

I thought about announcing a new character-themed collection, with DVDs spotlighting Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Elmer Fudd, Tweety and Sylvester, and Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote.

More recently, and to be more realistic, I was going to say that there would be three single-disc releases, saying that they would have a mix of double-dips and newly-remastered shorts, was thinking about maybe saying there'd be 30 newly-remastered shorts among these releases. The three releases would be a Bugs Bunny release, a Sylvester and Tweety release, and an All-Stars release. And today I realized, if it was 30 newly-remastered cartoons, with each of these having 15 cartoons per disc, it could have still been ALL newly-released/remastered cartoons if the Sylvester and Tweety one only had cartoons from the Japanese releases that haven't been released here (earlier this year, I realized that, of the cartoons from the I Love Tweety DVDs that have not been released in the state, there's exactly 15 of those - of course I don't know whether those restorations meet Warner Bros.' standards for remastering).

And a rundown for what I had in mind (the number of "newly-remastered" shorts may or may not add up to 30 - and I keep forgetting what cartoons on the I Love Tweety DVDs have not been released over here):
Bugs Bunny Collection:Elmer's Pet Rabbit, Hold the Lion, Please!, What's Cookin' Doc?, The Unruly Hare, Falling Hare, Rabbit Transit, Hare Do, Hare Splitter, Rabbit Every Monday, Rabbit Seasoning, Baton Bunny, Lumber Jack Bunny, Napoleon Bunny-Part, Bill of Hare, and Person to Bunny.
Sylvester and Tweety Collection:A Tale of Two Kitties, Birdy and the Beast, Life with Feathers, Back-Alley Oproar, Tweetie Pie, Room and Bird,Home Tweet Home, Snow Business, Who's Kitten Who?, Sandy Claws, Tree for Two, Hyde and Go Tweet, Jumpin' Jupiter, Mexican Cat Dance, Hawaiian Aye Aye.
All-Stars Collection:This is a Life?, Birds Anonymous, Beep Prepared, Honey's Money, The Goofy Gophers, Wild Over You, Daffy Rents, Lighter Than Hare, Hare Way to the Stars, Henhouse Henery, Sheep Ahoy, What's My Lion?, Bugged by a Bee, Lovelorn Leghorn, Dime to Retire.

I also thought about announcing a special "Marvin the Martian in the Third Dimension" release for DVD, Blu-Ray, and 3D Blu-ray, to include the title 3D attraction as well as Lumber Jack Rabbit and all of the CGI shorts, allowing them all to be seen in 3D. Bonus features I had in mind were the rare television special Bugs Bunny in Outer Space and the made-for-video Bugs Bunny's Lunar Tunes.

In terms of what I actually did, I kept thinking about checking to see how many Bugs Bunny shorts there are and seeing if the disc count adds up. I was thinking it could be 108 but I still haven't checked - by my math, if each disc has 15 shorts (and the Platinum Collection - even the DVD version - had 25 main program shorts on its discs, so there could be less discs), about 7 discs would be needed, maybe barely 8 (but that can be more of a bonus disc) - though I would want the bonus contents to be spread out a bit (like the pre-Bugs shorts on disc 1, another disc could have all the cartoons where Bugs made cameos, one of the last discs could have the made-for-TV shorts, etc.).

When making April Fools Jokes like this, I find it a little difficult to determine how detailed the information should be. The "Rest of Bugs Bunny" release would have had The Goofy Gophers as part of the main program while the complete set would have it as a bonus feature (but of course it'd be the "remastered version").
speedy fast  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 2, 2017 9:13:34 PM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

I've been thinking, if this was real, about what kind of bonus features to include if there were follow-ups like The Complete Daffy Duck, The Complete Elmer Fudd, Sylvester and Tweety, and others.

The Complete Daffy Duck
*Cameo Cartoons: Sahara Hare, Apes of Wrath.
*Additional Cameos: Cheeto's commercial (1999), appearance on The Drew Carey Show, clip from Gremlins 2.
*Made-for-TV Toons: The Yolks on You, The Chocolate Chase, Daffy Flies South, Duck Dogers and the Return of the 24 1/2 th Century (longer version seen in Daffy Duck's Thanks-for-Giving special; I think I'd include the "short" version as part of the main program, as I think it was originally intended for a theatrical release;If I'm wrong and it actually was always meant to be shown as part of a special, then both versions).
*Openings for The Daffy Duck Show (NBC), The Daffy and Speedy Show, The Sylvester-Tweety/Daffy-Speedy Show, and The Daffy Duck Show (Kids' WB).

The Complete Elmer Fudd
*All Egghead/early Elmer cartoons (they probably wouldn't want to include The Isle of Pingo Pongo, but it'd be great if they did)
*The Dangerous Dan McFoo
*Elmer Cameos: The Scarlet Pumpernickle, Rabbit Rampage, A Star is Bored.
*Made-for-TV Toons: Portrait of the Artist as a Young Bunny.

The Complete Sylvester and Tweety
*Cameo Toons: No Barking.
*Made-for-TV Shorts: Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol, The Yolks on You.

The Complete Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote
*All five Bugs Bunny and Wile E. Coyote pairings (or should those be part of the main program?).
*All seven Wolf and Sheepdog cartoons.
*The Adventures of the Road Runner.
*Made-for-TV Toons: Freeze Frame, Soup or Sonic.
*The Road Runner Show - opening, all bumpers, and closing.
*Maybe all of the CGI toons from The Looney Tunes Show.

The Complete Porky Pig
*Porky's blooper (maybe make it an Easter egg or Blu-ray exclusive)
*Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers

The Complete Foghorn Leghorn
*Cameo Toons: False Hare.
*Made-for-TV Toons: The Yolks on You.
*Bonus Toons Starring Foghorn's Co-Stars: The Squakin' Hawkin', The Early Worm Gets the Bird, You Were Never Duckier, An Egg Scrambled, Daffy Duck Hunt, Gopher Broke, Don't Ax Me.

Can't really think much about what to include on a potential "Complete Yosemite Sam" or "Complete Speedy Gonzales" (well, Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol as a bonus short for Complete Sam). Maybe The Bugs Bunny Show episode "Satan's Waitin'" for Yosemite Sam, and the episode that had Slowpoke as part of the linking footage. Of course, if Warner were to start putting out complete sets for its main characters, these two should be the cheapest and easiest to make - after complete Bugs and Daffy sets, every Yosemite Sam cartoon would already be remastered, and after putting out complete Daffy and Sylvester sets, all Speedy Gonzales cartoons would be remastered, so they'd really just be recouping their losses.

I like the idea I had of releasing a complete boxed set of a character, a companion "rest of the character" DVD set (though, again, after completing Bugs, Daffy, and Sylvester, there couldn't be a "Rest of Yosemite Sam" or "Rest of Speedy Gonzales"), and a single-disc release of 25 cartoons for each character.
speedy fast  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2017 12:06:06 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

In thinking about the idea of a "Complete Character Collection", plus a "rest of that character" and a "25 (insert featured character here) Cartoon Collection", I was thinking of some ideas for the "25 Cartoon Collection" for some characters.

25 Daffy Duck Cartoon Collection(had actually thought about this at the same time I was developing the Bugs Bunny DVD "news"):
1. Porky's Duck Hunt
2. Daffy Duck and Egghead
3. Porky and Daffy
4. Daffy Duck in Hollywood
5. Daffy Duck and the Dinosaur
6. The Impatient Patient
7. Baby Bottlenect
8. Ain't That Ducky?
9. Nasty Quacks
10. The Wise Quacking Duck
11. Daffy Doodles
12. Daffy Dilly
13. The Scarlett Pumpernickle
14. Designed for Leaving
15. Quack Shot
16. Beanstalk Bunny
17. Muscle Tuscle
18. Stupor Duck
19. Boston Quackie
20. People Are Bunny
21. Assault and Peppered
22. Tease for Two
23. Daffy Rents
24. Fiesta Fiasco
25. See You Later, Gladiator

(for this one, I deliberately avoided a few of the really essential Daffy Duck titles - Duck Amuck, Duck Dodgers and the 24 1/2 th Century, and The Great Piggy Bank Robbery)

25 Porky Pig Cartoons Collection
1. I Haven't Got a Hat
2. Gold Diggers of '49
3. The Big Blow-Out
4. Porky's Bad Time Story
5. Naughty Neighbors
6. Porky's Hare Hunt
7. Old Glory
8. You Ought to Be in Pictures
9. Porky Pig's Feat
10. Nothing But the Tooth
11. One Meat Brawl
12. My Favorite Duck
13. Daffy Duck Slept Here
14. Dough for the Dodo
15. Bye Bye Bluebeard
16. The Pest Who Came to Dinner
17. Paying the Piper
18. Often an Orphan
19. Cracked Quack
20. Robin Hood Daffy
21. Wearin' of the Grin
22. Dog Collard
23. Jumpin' Jupiter
24. Dime to Retire
25. Corn on the Cop

25 Tweety and Sylvester Cartoon Collection
1. A Tail of Two Kitties
2. Birdy and the Beast
3. Gruesome Twosome
4. Life with Feathers
5. Peck Up Your Troubles
6. Tweetie Pie
7. Kit for Kat
8. Scaredy Cat
9. Home Tweet Home
10. Snow Business
11. Greedy for Tweety
12. Who's Kitten Who
13. Speedy Gonzales
14. Sandy Claws
15. A Mouse Divided
16. Hyde and Go Tweet
17. Last Hungry Cat
18. A Pizza Tweetie Pie
19. Birds Anonymous
20. Bell Hoppy
21. Mexican Cat Dance
22. Heir Conditioned
23. Hawaiian Aye Aye
24. Cats and Bruises
25. The Wild Chase

(for these, I've been including the characters first appearance as well as their last appearance in a pre-1969 cartoon, but this is the main exception, as Sylvester's last appearance - in A Taste of Catnip - was a cameo)

25 Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote Cartoon Collection
1. Fast and Furry-Ous
2. Operation: Rabbit
3. Zipping Along
4. Guided Muscle
5. Ready, Set, Zoom!
6. Stop, Look, and Hasten
7. Zip 'N Snort
8. Hot Rod and Reel
9. Compressed Rabbit
10. Beep Prepared
11. Fastest with the Mostest
12. Zoom at the Top
13. Hare-Breadth Hurry
14. To Beep or Not to Beep
15. War and Pieces
16. The Wild Chase
17. Russian Roulette
18. Clippety Clobbert
19. Just Plain Beep
20. Highway Runnery
21. Road Runner A'Go-Go
22. Chasers on the Rocks
23. Solid Tin Coyote
24. Out and Out Rout
25. Sugar and Spies

25 Elmer Fudd Cartoon Collection
1. Elmer's Candid Camera
2. Good Night Elmer
3. Wabbit Trouble
4. The Wabbit Who Came to Supper
5. The Old Grey Hare
6. Slick Hare
7. To Duck or Not to Duck
8. What Makes Daffy Duck?
9. An Itch in Time
10. Stage-Door Cartoon
11. Back-Alley Op-Roar
12. Hare Do
13. Rabbit Fire
14. Rabbit Seasoning
15. Duck! Rabbit! Duck!
16. Ants Pasted
17. Robot Rabbit
18. Pests for Guests
19. Don't Ax Me
20. Hare Brush
21. Bugs Bonnets
22. What's Opera, Doc?
23. Doggone People
24. What's My Lion?
25, Crows Feat
speedy fast  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2017 9:48:15 AM(UTC)
speedy fast

United States

I was just trying to determine how many discs a "Complete Bugs Bunny Collection" could have.

Yesterday I found that Bugs Bunny appeared in 180 classic cartoons - and if you add theatrical cartoons made after 1969, he was in 186.

Using my calculator, I found that, if you include 15 shorts per disc, the set would have 12.4 discs (okay, 13 discs), and if you include 25 shorts per disc (like the Platinum Collection did, even with the DVD version), it'd be 7.44 (okay, 8). And wow, in the initial post, I actually did refer to it as an 8-disc set.

Of course, that's not putting into account all the bonus features mentioned. Maybe they would all fit on 8 discs with 25 theatrical shorts each (or 13 discs with 15 shorts each), or maybe an extra disc would be needed.