TCM Treasures FromThe Disney Vault - Forum.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 10:39:01 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Groups: Registered, Researcher
Man
United States

Was thanked: 90 time(s) in 71 post(s)
It's on now

Earlier they showed Darby o Gill with 1970's redub soundtrack followed by I Captured The King Of The Leperchans, after that was Babes In The Wood. now is The Story of the Animated Drawing. next is three caballeros and walt and el grupo and fighting prince of donagal

Edited by user Monday, March 16, 2015 10:43:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Toonatic  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 11:20:09 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 123 post(s)
I never knew Darby o Gill had a redub in the 70's. Any differences and related, is the DVD the original 1959 audio?
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 11:42:28 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

here I'll send you links 1959:

1970's :

The DVD here in the USA from 2004 is the 1959 version

Edited by user Monday, March 16, 2015 12:57:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nickramer  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 12:04:16 PM(UTC)
nickramer

Was thanked: 189 time(s) in 155 post(s)
So, when the next scheduled block going to happened?
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 1, 2015 10:06:15 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

the next one is on July 2 on Thursday

The Simple Things (1953)

Hawaiian Holiday (1937)

Beach Picnic (1939)

Johnny Tremain (1957)

The Liberty Story (1957)

The Living Desert (1953)

The Great Locomotive Chase (1956)

Treasure of Matecumbe (1976)

Rascal (1969)

http://www.tcm.com/sched...CST&sdate=2015-06-29
thanks 1 user thanked VoiceTalentBrendan for this useful post.
Toadette on 5/1/2015(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2015 7:01:22 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

it's on :)
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2015 12:30:13 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

disappointedly the short cartoons have been remastered (Grain Removed and Fixed Colors)

The Liberty Story (1957) is in black and white The short Ben and Me (1953) is part of this show but also in black and white. it also has a extended prologue of Amos Mouse's ancestors (longer then the color version on the Walt Disney Mini Classics VHS tape)

Edited by user Saturday, July 4, 2015 12:35:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked VoiceTalentBrendan for this useful post.
Toadette on 7/4/2015(UTC)
Toadette  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2015 12:37:37 AM(UTC)
Toadette

Was thanked: 225 time(s) in 188 post(s)
Did "Hawaiian Holiday" look like this print?

It looks like the changed colors are an attempt to make the characters look closer to the way they do today, in terms of color scheme. If only the remasters for the "Treasures" sets had been done from the beginning in HD! (Even if WB hasn't remastered and released all their cartoons in HD, at least those they have put out, with the exception of the DNRed "Fast and Furry-ous", look good.)
VoiceTalentBrendan  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2015 12:49:44 AM(UTC)
VoiceTalentBrendan

Man
United States

Yep it is the same print.
Mac  
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2015 4:45:28 AM(UTC)
Mac

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Uh oh! Are the new restorations on the shorts really that bad? I haven't seen many for myself (I'm in the UK and the link to 'Hawaiian Holiday' gets re-routed). I'm hearing different things about them from "They look wonderful" to "They look nothing like they should" and also rumours of fake title cards (one example "Thru the Mirror" apparently has new opening titles on the "Alice in Wonderland" Blu-Ray). I'm kinda worried that Disney have spent a fortune changing history in the name of 'preservation'.

I thought the transfers on the Treasure set were a bit hit and miss depending on what wave they were from, but some of them looked beautiful. Sets such as Front Lines, Goofy, Donald 1, Mickey in Color 2 and Pluto 1 seemed to me to be as perfect as they could be (minus original titles).
dbear  
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2015 5:27:32 AM(UTC)
dbear

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 79 post(s)
What I've seen so far of the new restorations seems inconsistent to say the least. "Steamboat Willie" on the Snow White Blu-ray has rather milky blacks , a fake flicker added and one animation error fixed. "Thru the Mirror" on the Alice in Wonderland Blu-Ray looks awful (changed title card, background textures smear during pans and in portions where a character recently moved from) yet the shorts on the German Donald Duck Christmas Blu-ray look wonderful (grain, cel dust intact etc.), although some look a little too dark a la the recent Blu-ray of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. "The Art of Skiing" in particular is very grainy but not to the point of distracting from the visuals.

It seems that the first Silly Symphonies set and the first Pluto set were done at a higher-than-DVD resolution as the bonus cartoons on the "Dumbo" and "Lady and the Tramp 2" blu-rays utilize the Treasures restorations. I thought they look remarkably good for old transfers, they don't look like SD upscales.
Toadette  
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2015 5:36:03 AM(UTC)
Toadette

Important note: Since this post was originally made, the IAD screenshots may have been changed to reflect the actual Treasures/Blu-ray prints, thus rendering this comparison null and void.

Just to further add to the Disney "restoration" talk...

Below are comparison screenshots from "Music Land" (1935). On the top are IAD's screenshots from the Walt Disney Treasures DVD (long-overdue update: not exactly...see dbear's posts below), and on the bottom are shots of the new (actually, they WERE the Treasures prints) HD transfer (present on the Blu-rays of "Snow White" and "Beauty and the Beast") from various places around the Internet. Notice how the colors are muted in the new transfer, and how there is less film grain:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

These next screenshots from "Babes in the Woods" (1932) are interesting for implying how confused Disney's "restoration" policies are. Again, on the top are IAD's WDT (again, they are in fact of currently unknown origin) screenshots, and on the bottom are some from the new transfer.

The first screenshot comparison is relatively unfair in terms of size, but it still gets the point across on the muted colors and even the reduction of film grain in the new transfer:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

This second comparison is where things get interesting. In this particular shot, the color in the new transfer seems to actually be richer...but, of course, the film grain is scrubbed out:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Saturday, October 17, 2015 9:34:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Advisories added.

thanks 2 users thanked Toadette for this useful post.
eutychus on 7/4/2015(UTC), PopKorn Kat on 7/6/2015(UTC)
dbear  
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2015 6:02:46 AM(UTC)
dbear

Toadette, those screenshots look nothing like my copy of the Walt Disney Treasures nor the Snow White Blu-ray. I did my own comparisons (I'll see if I can dig them out) and I concluded the Silly Symphonies on the Snow White blu-ray came from the exact same transfers as the Treasures DVD as they showed identical colour and framing but the grain was slightly better resolved in HD.

I did receive compressed screengrabs of Babes in the Woods off Netflix from a friend and they look awfully plastic looking.
Toadette  
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2015 6:12:12 AM(UTC)
Toadette

I can verify that the copy of "Babes in the Woods" IAD uploaded (see here) has practically identical color timing to the screenshots (of the HD version) I've put up. Same goes for "Music Land".

I know Thad K. said about the Netflix versions (in HD) on another forum that they have "Very muted, puke colors that are decidedly not the 1930s Technicolor as seen on the SD Disney Treasures DVDs." I'm certainly willing to take his word for it, if these shots (and uploads) are any indication.

I notice that you're from the UK. Perhaps the overseas releases of the Treasures sets and feature films have different prints with different color timing?

Edited by user Saturday, July 4, 2015 8:51:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Hopefully I won't have to edit this post anymore.

dbear  
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2015 7:17:03 AM(UTC)
dbear

I actually have managed to acquire both the US (tin) and UK versions of the Silly Symphonies set but can't access them at the moment (somewhere in storage, IIRC they're identical except for "The Three Little Pigs" having the uncut visuals on the UK). I managed to make some still frame comparisons with the Blu-ray and the Netflix versions of "Babes in the Woods":

https://drive.google.com...tcU01VlE&usp=sharing

On re-evaluation, the limitations of the older master show more noticeably in HD. The image is soft, the grain is not well-defined and the Technicolor misregistration causes some colour fringing on the outlines. The Netflix version looks better as a thumbnail but opening full size shows it has a harsh un-filmlike look, with most of the photographed-in dust obliterated.

And just for fun, some pictures from a nitrate print of the cartoon held by the EYE Film Institute:
http://zauberklang.ch/filmcolor...abes_in_the_Woods_(1932)

Edited by user Saturday, July 4, 2015 7:17:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Link fixed

thanks 1 user thanked dbear for this useful post.
Toadette on 7/4/2015(UTC)
Toadette  
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2015 8:44:22 AM(UTC)
Toadette

Thank you very much for these grabs!

Those screenshots from your Blu-ray indeed resemble the version from which the above "new transfer" shots (and the accompanying video) I posted are derived. As you said, the grain is barely noticeable and the misregistration (not to mention the soft image) at times makes the film almost look like glasses-less 3D. The Netflix print is downright horrifying: it's definitely a victim of the Clorox cleansing Disney has applied to most of its animated features.

I wish that Disney would put out restorations of their features and shorts that actually look like their original Technicolor. I'd love to see even a raw, unrestored transfer of that "Babes" nitrate (not to mention the "Snow White" nitrate on that page) on Blu-ray!
thanks 1 user thanked Toadette for this useful post.
Zachary on 7/5/2015(UTC)
LuckyToon  
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2015 11:57:22 AM(UTC)
LuckyToon

Man
United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: VoiceTalentBrendan Go to Quoted Post
disappointedly the short cartoons have been remastered (Grain Removed and Fixed Colors)

The Liberty Story (1957) is in black and white The short Ben and Me (1953) is part of this show but also in black and white. it also has a extended prologue of Amos Mouse's ancestors (longer then the color version on the Walt Disney Mini Classics VHS tape)

Speaking of Ben & Me, the whole prologue of Amos's ancestors was cut from the WDT: Disney Raraties DVD releases unfortunately. Mainly because they used a shelf print instead of remastering it, like most of the cartoons included on the DVD.
Mac  
#18 Posted : Saturday, July 4, 2015 3:48:08 PM(UTC)
Mac

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Thank you, dbear and Toadette for your in-depth posts and screen grabs. In an odd way I'm not so disappointed. I thought that Disney may had made master versions of the shorts which we'd be stuck with on all new releases. Instead it's the usual frustrating hit and miss story of Disney animation looking different on every new release. That means there's at least the hope that 'next time' things will be better.

I find it really annoying when animation errors get fixed after decades of being part of the film. What was 'fixed' in Steamboat Willie?

I only have the Treasures version of 'Babes in the Woods' and that was one cartoon I felt could have done with a some restoration (mainly due to the Technicolor misregistration), but that Netflix version – Gah! In the screenshots that Toadette posted I can't help but notice how FLAT things have become in the same cartoon. In the background in the first screenshot the ground under the gnomes and kids is bright, with darker grass and pebbles in the foreground. The characters are sort of spotlighted against a background which has depth. In the new transfer everything's a consistent, flat drab so the emotion and effect of the scene – happy children in a sun lit woodland clearing – is lost.
Toonatic  
#19 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2015 2:15:54 AM(UTC)
Toonatic

United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 123 post(s)
I think the new restorations of the shorts look fine.
thanks 1 user thanked Toonatic for this useful post.
Kristjan on 3/12/2016(UTC)
Zachary  
#20 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2015 5:13:01 AM(UTC)
Zachary

Groups: Registered, Researcher, Beta Tester
United States

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Toadette Go to Quoted Post
[...] I'd love to see even a raw, unrestored transfer of that "Babes" nitrate (not to mention the "Snow White" nitrate on that page) on Blu-ray!

Smarter than the average "film" buff, I see. I salute you.

Edited by user Sunday, July 5, 2015 5:16:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Zachary for this useful post.
Toadette on 7/5/2015(UTC)