Disney+ and Golden Age Animation- Page 2 - Forum.
looneylife326
2019-04-26T00:24:59Z
I'm trying to imagine how cutting the crows out of "Dumbo" would even work. They're only in one scene, but it's so integral to the finale of the movie: Dumbo learns how to fly after the crows boost his confidence with the "magic" feather. No crows, no feather, no flying. Even in the shot where Dumbo is flying for the first time, the crows are flying around with him - they're right there in the shot!

I'm NOT saying this would be a good idea, but if Disney is insistent on sanitizing the crow scene, they could always redub the crows' voices. There's nothing stereotypical in how the crows look or are dressed - it's all the dialect and dialogue. They could rewrite and rerecord the crows' lines. And again, I'm not saying this would be a good idea. It would be insane. I wouldn't like it, but I'd like them cutting the crows out completely way, way less.
Beheldemai
2019-04-26T01:37:25Z
I was wondering that myself, but remember that censorship never has to make sense, and something great can be enjoyed even when it lacks continuity. Otherwise, how could The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show possibly remain so popular despite being put through the shredder?

If something might offend someone, they can just hack it right out, as if their movie or short was showing on the Disney Channel instead of a streaming service. It just goes to show you that some streaming services are really no different from a cable channel.
PopKorn Kat
2019-09-18T05:10:39Z
Bumping because there's been an announcement of exactly what's coming to the service on day one: https://attractionsmagazine.com/disney-plus-day-one-list/ 

For those who don’t feel like reading that article, here are some of the shorts that are slated for the service’s first day:
  • Chef Donald
  • Donald and Pluto
  • Flowers and Trees
  • Modern Inventions
  • Pluto’s Christmas Tree
  • The Skeleton Dance
  • Steamboat Willie
  • The Wise Little Hen

Classic movies:

• The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
  • Bambi
  • Dumbo
  • Fantasia
  • The Jungle Book
  • Lady and the Tramp (article makes it clear that Disney doesn’t want to release their new, original titles like the live-action remake of the animated version, so I’m assuming this is animated—don’t quote me on that)
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
  • Melody Time
  • Peter Pan
  • Pinocchio
  • The Reluctant Dragon
  • Saludos Amigos
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • The Three Caballeros

“Chicken Little” is included on the list, but it’s not specified whether it’s the 1943 short or the 2005 movie. (Not holding out for the former, for obvious, war-related reasons.)
WaltWiz1901
2019-09-18T21:13:20Z
These shorts were also on that list:
I am not counting Pixar and modern WDAS shorts, by the way
- The Band Concert
- Lend a Paw
- The Little Whirlwind
- Lonesome Ghosts
- Musical Farmer(!)
- The Prince and the Pauper
- Three Little Pigs

Altogether, we currently have:
- 14 classic shorts and one revival short
- 9½ Mickey Mouse shorts
- 1½ Donald Duck short[s]
- No Goofy shorts (yet)
- No Pluto shorts (yet)
- Four Silly Symphonies
- No special/one-shot shorts (yet)

Not an extensive amount of shorts, but at least it's better than nothing at all (which we've gotten for nearly an entire decade - barring the Have a Laugh! DVDs and Celebrating Mickey, of course).
nickramer
2019-09-19T03:33:16Z
Actually, going through the list and not counting "Song of the South" and "Victory Through Air Power", the only Walt-era animated film not on there is "Make Mine Music". Is "The Hatfield and McCoys" really that gun violent to prevent it from being on the stream? I suggest they put a typed disclaimer in front of the film.

Also, why aren't the Walt-era show on there? I'm also surprised "The Golden Girls" aren't on there either.
fulano7
2019-09-20T04:01:28Z
Originally Posted by: nickramer 

Actually, going through the list and not counting "Song of the South" and "Victory Through Air Power", the only Walt-era animated film not on there is "Make Mine Music". Is "The Hatfield and McCoys" really that gun violent to prevent it from being on the stream? I suggest they put a typed disclaimer in front of the film.

Also, why aren't the Walt-era show on there? I'm also surprised "The Golden Girls" aren't on there either.

I'm also wondering if "Melody Time" will be the edited version with the cigarretes erased from "Pecos Bill".

Probably yes.

At least this brings some hope to a DMC-exclusive blu-ray release of a 2-movie collection along with "Make Mine Music", hopefully uncensored like "Saludos Amigos". (I'm being very optimistic)
I always come to TTTP in Exile in the hope of finding news about Warner announcing Tex Avery Collection.
Leviathan
2019-09-20T16:51:23Z
nickramer
2019-09-21T02:44:10Z
Well, that's good to hear. Who started that dumb rumor anyway?
VoiceTalentBrendan
2019-09-21T04:22:39Z

Well, that's good to hear. Who started that dumb rumor anyway?

Boardwalk Times
https://boardwalktimes.n...e-on-disney-ca2c1eae2a50 
Toonatic
2019-09-24T19:31:30Z
Someone who took the free trial confirmed Dumbo is uncut! :D

Finally, that rumor is laid to rest.
PopKorn Kat
2019-11-13T22:52:55Z
Bump. Classic Disney shorts available on Disney+, as of November 13, 2019. I may have missed a couple.
* Steamboat Willie (1928)
* Flowers and Trees (1932)
* Babes in the Woods (1932)
* Santa’s Workshop (1932) [the IAD’s upload is 6 minutes and 40 seconds; D+’s is 6 minutes and 6 seconds. Doll scene is cut; it skips to Santa putting together the plane. This includes the blackface doll scene—not surprising.]
* Ye Olden Days (1933)
* The Three Little Pigs (1933)
* The Pied Piper (1933)
* The Grasshopper and the Ants (1934) [Okay, there’s something there I may have missed, but…why is the copyright date 1936?]
* The Big Bad Wolf (1934)
* The Wise Little Hen (1934)
* The Goddess of Spring (1934)
* The Tortoise and the Hare (1935)
* The Band Concert (1935)
* The Golden Touch (1935)
* Three Little Wolves (1936)
* Three Blind Mouseketeers (1936)
* Mickey’s Rival (1936)
* Thru the Mirror (1936)
* Toby Tortoise Returns (1936)
* Magician Mickey (1937)
* Hawaiian Holiday (1937)
* Clock Cleaners (1937) [strange edited version of the Walt Disney Treasures print: "Says you!" is not edited, but "snake in the grass" is]
* The Old Mill (1937)
* Lonesome Ghosts (1937)
* Mickey’s Trailer (1937)
* Boat Builders (1938)
* Ferdinand the Bull (1938)
* Society Dog Show (1939) [recreated titles--wrong copyright year of 1940]
* The Ugly Duckling (1939)
* The Hockey Champ (1939)
* Beach Picnic (1939)
* Mr. Duck Steps Out (1940)
* Mr. Mouse Takes a Trip (1940)
* Tugboat Mickey (1940)
* The Art of Skiing (1941)
* Canine Caddy (1941)
* Chef Donald (1941)
* The Little Whirlwind (1941)
* Lend a Paw (1941)
* Mickey’s Birthday Party (1942)
* How to Swim (1942)
* Olympic Champ (1942)
* How to Fish (1942)
* Donald’s Tire Trouble (1943)
* Knight for a Day (1946)
* Chip an’ Dale (1947)
* Mickey’s Delayed Date (1947)
* Mail Dog (1947)
* Rescue Dog (1947)
* Bone Bandit (1948)
* Mickey Down Under (1948)
* Winter Storage (1949)
* Pluto’s Sweater (1949)
* Pluto’s Surprise Package (1949)
* Trailer Horn (1950)
* Food for Feudin’ (1950)
* Pluto and the Gopher (1950)
* Corn Chips (1951)
* Pluto’s Christmas Tree (1952)
* The Simple Things (1953)
* Grand Canyonscope (1954)
* Beezy Bear (1955)
* Bearly Asleep (1955)

Also, in Melody Time (1948), Pecos Bill's got his cigarette!
DawnShadow
2019-11-14T00:30:05Z
Thanks for the list! Are these all in HD?
ToonStar95
2019-11-14T02:09:08Z
On a related note, some 90s Disney shows have been remastered in HD. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Goof Troop and The Little Mermaid have been cropped to 16:9, while The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Timon & Pumbaa are in their original 4:3 ratio. Other shows of the era (i.e., Gummi Bears, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles) are still in SD.
WaltWiz1901
2019-11-14T03:44:13Z
Thought I'd add another title to Kat's list: Ye Olden Days is also on the service - with its original opening and closing cards! (It's, unfortunately, most likely the same "over-perfect" transfer that was on the Robin Hood Blu-ray and DisneyLife; I'll have a closer look tomorrow to fully confirm it)

If the rest of the black-and-white cartoons make it onto Disney+, here's hoping that they'll be new grainy, film-like scans with the original title sequences intact!
nickramer
2019-11-14T03:54:53Z
Originally Posted by: ToonStar95 

On a related note, some 90s Disney shows have been remastered in HD. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Goof Troop and The Little Mermaid have been cropped to 16:9, while The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Timon & Pumbaa are in their original 4:3 ratio. Other shows of the era (i.e., Gummi Bears, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles) are still in SD.

There also been a lot of complaints about "The Simpsons" being stretched and cropped as well. I hope the service will listen to the complaints. This isn't something hardcore fans will take lying down knowing these type of viewers. Speaking of which, is "Stark Raving Dad" still left out of the services (note that the decision to ban this episode was Al Jean and crews' idea and was announced right BEFORE the Disney and Fox merge was finalized)?

Edit: Yes, yes it is.
Mac
  • Mac
  • Advanced Member
2019-11-14T20:48:59Z
Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 

Thought I'd add another title to ToonStar's list: Ye Olden Days is also on the service - with its original opening and closing cards! (It's, unfortunately, most likely the same "over-perfect" transfer that was on the Robin Hood Blu-ray and DisneyLife; I'll have a closer look tomorrow to fully confirm it)

Cheers. Do you know if it has the original opening music as heard here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNa8cEqGmMo 

There's a bigger selection of Disney shorts on here than I perhaps expected and I imagine more will be added over time.

Another question, are there any new Mickey shorts (from the modern Paul Rudish series) on the service that haven't been posted online yet?
WaltWiz1901
2019-11-14T21:47:40Z
Originally Posted by: Mac 

When I first tried out Disney+ yesterday, I couldn't hear a thing. I'll let you know tomorrow.

A few more notes regarding classic cartoons and animated movies:
- Some of the Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto shorts utilize their Have a Laugh! restorations - in full HD. Donald's Tire Trouble, in particular, looks vastly superior to the unrestored Treasures DVD transfer
- Grand Canyonscope, Bearly Asleep, and Beezy Bear are the CinemaScope versions and appear to be the same HD masters made for the last Chronological Donald Treasures set eleven years ago
- The Sword in the Stone is no longer DNR'ed...and has been scanned in 4K. I doubt the rest of the Walt-era features will receive the same treatment (both for streaming and physical media), but here's hoping!
PopKorn Kat
2019-11-14T21:49:02Z
Originally Posted by: Mac 

Originally Posted by: WaltWiz1901 

Thought I'd add another title to ToonStar's list: Ye Olden Days is also on the service - with its original opening and closing cards! (It's, unfortunately, most likely the same "over-perfect" transfer that was on the Robin Hood Blu-ray and DisneyLife; I'll have a closer look tomorrow to fully confirm it)

No. It's completely different, in fact!

(edit: I previously speculated that the music on D+ was the original. The description Mac linked above confirms that the standard Mickey theme is the correct one. Mea culpa.)
VoiceTalentBrendan
2019-11-20T01:13:52Z
I'm enjoying Disney+ interesting films and TV shows they have. Plus a real rarity RKO's Swiss Family RObinson (1940) a film Walt bought while making his own adaptation.

I'm not sure anyone here brought this up, Goofy's cigarette is removed again on Saludo's Amigos (1943)
willoughbyfan
2019-11-21T01:03:10Z

There also been a lot of complaints about "The Simpsons" being stretched and cropped as well. I hope the service will listen to the complaints. This isn't something hardcore fans will take lying down knowing these type of viewers.

Apparently, Disney+ did listen to the fan complaints about the Simpsons . The 4:3 aspect ratio versions should be up some time next year:

Quote:

“We presented “The Simpsons” in 16:9 aspect ratio at launch in order to guarantee visual quality and consistency across all 30 seasons. Over time, Disney+ will roll out new features and additional viewing options. As part of this, in early 2020, Disney+ will make the first 19 seasons (and some episodes from Season 20) of “The Simpsons” available in their original 4:3 aspect ratio, giving subscribers a choice of how they prefer to view the popular series.”

However, I wouldn't read too much into them responding to fan complaints because of this. The Simpsons World app already had the 4:3 versions available on it--that app was taken down the day before Disney+ launched. So they've already made them available for streaming before, and it's just a matter of uploading them onto the new service. For anything that would actually require a fresh, new re-scan, I doubt there's much hope for complaints to be listened to, unless they think it's affecting their subscriber-ship/bottom line significantly.