Author Topic: Mr. Magoo Theatrical Collection may be in Trouble  (Read 8867 times)

FleischerFan

• View Profile
Re: Mr. Magoo Theatrical Collection may be in Trouble
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 06:31:59 am »
Even though this was posted before Amazon cancelled the orders, Shout Factory indeed said they pushed it back a few months. Let's just wait and see what happens. ;)
I certainly hope you're correct.

It just seems strange that the rest of the UPA theatricals would receive a home video release while their most marketable name does not.
"Always pleasant journey which ends among old friends." - The Hon. Charles Chan, American Law Enforcement Figure & Philosopher

Gasmask Ted

• View Profile
    • Cartoons of 1935
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 07:20:47 am »
As opposed to two different UPA cartoon releases within a few months of each other from two different release streams after years of no releases at all, which seems perfectly reasonable to you?

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 06:26:38 pm »
Brian over at the Shout! message boards said they don't why it got delayed. So it seems Sony has something to do with this.

David Gerstein

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 07:00:24 pm »
Even though this was posted before Amazon cancelled the orders, Shout Factory indeed said they pushed it back a few months. Let's just wait and see what happens. ;)
I've heard from someone involved with the Magoo project. And yes, there's been a delay—the set will now come out in the late fall. But this is because they're going the extra mile to restore the cartoons from higher-quality source materials, including some newly discovered elements. So there's a several-month wait, but it means the end product will be a lot better.

(Sure—Magoo himself couldn't see the difference; but then, he'd be using his toaster to play the discs.)

King Delbert

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 07:15:14 pm »
I've heard from someone involved with the Magoo project. And yes, there's been a delay—the set will now come out in the late fall. But this is because they're going the extra mile to restore the cartoons from higher-quality source materials, including some newly discovered elements. So there's a several-month wait, but it means the end product will be a lot better.

(Sure—Magoo himself couldn't see the difference; but then, he'd be using his toaster to play the discs.)

Oh that's good news.  Thanks for the update :magoo:

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 08:25:08 pm »
So that's why! Thanks David!

But man, 'til the fall? It's like the RR Super Stars Disc all over again when it was supposed to come out in May then delayed to the fall. Well, if it means better transfers so be it. Maybe we can also suggest about adding the educational short Inside Magoo.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:31:41 pm by Toonatic »

DDC

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 05:27:42 am »
I'm afraid I'm not very optimistic about this.....  In my experience it is very rare for Amazon to be so straight to the point, and say they can't supply, usually I'm told it's delayed, and given the option to wait, or cancel....  Ah well, can't have everything I suppose!

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 11:14:31 am »

Good news indeed.  As long as Magoo is coming, I'm quite satisfied especially if Sony is going the extra mile with better elements.

ohmahaaha

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 06:06:23 pm »
That made me laugh out loud!!

Looney Tunes Fan

• Researchers
  • Eh...What's Up Doc?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 06:18:02 pm »
That made me laugh out loud!!
Ditto. ;D
I love classic cartoons!
25th member of The IAD forums! The NEW GAC forums!  :bugs: :andy: :audrey: :barney: :betty: :bosko: :buddy: :crow: :fox: :magoo: :donald: :fethry: :goofy: :mickey: :minnie: :scrooge: :willy: :ozzie: :woody:

Leviathan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 07:07:32 pm »

My question is, why would they need to do this? Weren't all the Magoo shorts restored from the neg for Totally Tooned In?

King Delbert

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 11:36:42 pm »
I've heard that the Screen Jems cartoons have been restored, but the UPA stuff (fro some reason) were not.  The question then becomes, were the restoration processes used back when Totally Tooned first aired the same as today's (we're living in a blu-ray age now, so restoration is getting better these days).

Leviathan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 02:26:44 pm »
No, the UPA shorts were restored, too. The original release of the Gerald McBoing Boings and Tell Tale Heart on the first Hellboy DVD were restored.

Woody Woodpecker

• Researchers
  • 11th Incarnation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 04:24:49 pm »
I've heard that the Screen Jems cartoons have been restored, but the UPA stuff (fro some reason) were not.  The question then becomes, were the restoration processes used back when Totally Tooned first aired the same as today's (we're living in a blu-ray age now, so restoration is getting better these days).

What's Screen Jems?
"Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame." ~G.K. Chesterton
"Empty paper, means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one" ~ Doc Brown form Back to the future Triology

Toonatic

• Researchers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 05:12:45 pm »
I don't know but it sounds truly outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous!

It's Screen Gems, btw.