Author Topic: Albuquerque...  (Read 764 times)

Sogturtle

• "People Get Ready" (song)
    • View Profile
Albuquerque...
« on: January 05, 2012, 07:25:59 pm »

Was gazing upon some old GAC-TTTP threads on the mention of Albuquerque in Warner's cartoons.  Now the Turtle is pondering something... Did the gag-mention of said city originate from some RADIO program shtick like "CUCAMONGA" had??  Yowp? Detroiter?  Anyone??

frye

• View Profile
Re: Albuquerque...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:41:46 pm »
i know that the first mention of albuquerque got mentioned on a LTGC commentary, but forgive me for not remembering which cartoon it was or the details of what was said.

Sogturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:23:39 am »

Frye~

The first MENTION of the town was in "Jack Wabbit And The Beanstalk" (1943 Freleng), but the first use of the "wrong turn at..." gag wasn't till Friz's "Herr Meets Hare" of 1945. The Turtle failed to listen to the commentary... But then again, I rarely listen to any commentaries. :bugs2:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:43:28 am by Sogturtle »

Yowp

• View Profile
    • Yowp
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 01:14:03 am »
Did the gag-mention of Albuquerque originate from some RADIO program shtick like "CUCAMONGA" had??

Not on a regular basis that I know of, Sog. Several radio shows .. notably the Rochester debut on the Benny show .. made jokes about Albuquerque but nothing about a left turn.

The jokes all seem to involve trains or Indian blankets. I gather in the 30s, it was a rail stop where passengers bought a lot of native knick-knacks.

Yowp

Sogturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 08:40:03 am »
Did the gag-mention of Albuquerque originate from some RADIO program shtick like "CUCAMONGA" had??

Not on a regular basis that I know of, Sog. Several radio shows .. notably the Rochester debut on the Benny show .. made jokes about Albuquerque but nothing about a left turn.

The jokes all seem to involve trains or Indian blankets. I gather in the 30s, it was a rail stop where passengers bought a lot of native knick-knacks.

Yowp

Yowp~

Thanks!!  That's pretty much what I figured, but wanted to be sure.
And yeah Albuquerque like other places in New Mexico and Arizona was a BIG place for train or car travelers to stop and buy "authentic Indian" goods.  And it had that strange, colorful i.e. comical :flip: name...

Here we have one whole museum FILLED with the supposedly old :P Indian stuff that one very rich guy bought on his train travels between 1905 or so and the mid '20's.   In point of fact in downtown Phoenix the REAL Indians used to come and sell their various goods right on the sidewalk in front of various department stores!!  This was very close to the train station and all of the then existent hotels. 

But "Albuquerque" (like Cucamonga) is a LOT funnier word than ones like Phoenix, Gallup, Santa Fe, Flagstaff or Tucson...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:54:22 pm by Sogturtle »

Detroiter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 11:43:44 am »
Albuquerque was a major stop and primary junction on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway, which was an important Chicago-Los Angeles railroad.  Depending on which way you were heading, a left turn at Albuquerque either sent you to Denver or El Paso.  Angelenos would have been familiar with this junction.  Also, you can give "Alba-koy-kee" a Brooklyn spin that sounds funny when Bugs says it.     

J Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 01:59:13 pm »
Albuquerque was also the major highway stop in the 1930s and 40s on Route 66 in the mountain areas, so even drivers by the mid-40s traveling between coasts would be familiar with the name (and having just driven the thing last week on the way out to Los Angeles, it's also a major winter stopping point for travelers, sometimes against their will, because it's down in the Rio Grande Valley while the road to the east and west rises to well over a mile in elevation, which means it's a oasis when the highways on either side of the city are closed due to snow).

The Spectre

• View Profile
    • The Darmok the Green Experience
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 03:41:46 pm »
Oddly enough, Disney's "Mr Mouse Takes a Trip" has something like the old Cucamonga gag - Pete announces: "Train leaving for Albuquerque, Amarilla, Azuza, (gabble gabble gabble) and all points west!"  Notice Albuquerque is mentioned, but not Cucamonga!
Blog: http://darmokthegreen.blosgpot.com

LATEST POST: A comparison of "Cholly Polly", "Cheese Burglar", "Stooge for a Mouse" and "Bugsy and Mugsy".

zavkram

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 12:47:00 am »
Isn't Albuqurque also a place where people from the WPP get placed? There's a TV drama produced by Jerry Bruckheimer which depicts several witnesses being deposited by U.S. Marshall's in that particular region.

Sogturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 06:47:31 am »

Detroiter, JLee, and The Spectre~

Thanks for your contributions and insights!! 8) And yeah as a Southwestern Turtle I'm aware of Albuquerque as the northern route through the Southwest...  But I'm not sure why it didn't turn up EARLIER in the Warner cartoons or in the MGM Avery ones as a hub and kind of way-station. 

It kind of makes me think of the several references to Portis in the earlier Schlesinger cartoons. They're both places that would be unfamiliar to MOST non-travelers...