Author Topic: My Theory and Rant on Classic Looney Tunes Being Removed Off YouTube  (Read 2305 times)

ForumDocXV

• View Profile
Since early this year, YouTube had removed almost every single classic Looney Tunes cartoon (besides the remastered copies from the DVD and Blu Ray releases) off their site which ticked me off so much! My theory on why is because of what happened last year/2012 when Warner Home Video's DVD and Blu Ray releases of Mouse Chronicles, Looney Tunes Super Stars Porky Pig: Hilarious Ham, and Platinum Collection Vol. 2 didn't sell out successfully as they were expecting. And I guess they must of lost money from that.

To me it's just not fair since not all Looney Tunes cartoons are on Dailymotion or other sites. Especially for those who are trying to find the ones that they haven't seen in a long time or that are not on DVD and/or Blu Ray (before this happened, I had to download every single post-1964 Looney Tunes cartoon 1964-1969 from YouTube using Real Player Download). But now Warner Bros. is now starting to act like Viacom by removing the classic Looney Tunes cartoon off YouTube. And another problem is that a few Looney Tunes like Hocus Pocus Powwow are being removed off of Dailymotion due to copyrights which doesn't make any sense! :yosemite:

I wish WB would let us upload only Looney Tunes cartoons that are not on DVD and/or Blu Ray on YouTube like before at least.

YOU ARE EVIL WARNER BROS!!!!!
I'm not just a fan of classic golden age animation, I'm also a fan of video games, anime, and modern animation (both 2D and CGI animation).

Mister Bighead

• Researcher
  • Head Toad
    • View Profile
    • Cartoons on VHS
Re: My Theory and Rant on Classic Looney Tunes Being Removed Off YouTube
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 08:53:20 am »
The reason why WB is removing their cartoons from YouTube is because they're copyrighted. They own the rights to the cartoons, therefore they have the right to remove them from YouTube. It is illegal for anyone who doesn't own the cartoons to copy them. I guess its okay to use clips from the cartoons and then insert them for a non-commerical school project (that is called "fair use"). Other than that, users do not have the right to upload them without permission. To obtain permission, you have to have assistance from a lawyer and pay licensing fees.

You mentioned WB lost money because of poor-selling videos. They will lose even more money if they allowed any person in the world to upload their cartoons on YouTube. If you like watching Looney Tunes cartoons online, why don't you create a petition for WB to create a YouTube channel or other online website dedicated to uploading old LT shorts? (That is actually not a bad idea.)

I don't know what country you reside in, but here is the website to the United States Copyright Office if you would like to learn more about how copyright works. (I believe copyright works in similar ways in other countries.) www.copyright.gov

By the way, there are several public domain LT cartoons. There were also WB cartoons made for the military and government. (Those types of films can't be copyrighted.) People can upload those online to their hearts desire and even make money off of them, and WB won't be able to do a thing. (Here is a list of WB cartoons in the public domain if interested: http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/DVDvideo/PD/ .)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:49:27 pm by texwolf42 »
"A smile makes a lousy umbrella." --Linus van Pelt

King Delbert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 12:02:38 pm »
By the way, there are several public domain LT cartoons. There were also WB cartoons made for the military and government. (Those types of films can't be copyrighted.) People can upload those online to their hearts desire and even make money off of them, and WB won't be able to do a thing. (Here is a list of WB cartoons in the public domain if interested: http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/DVDvideo/PD/ .)

Oh no????  We had a discussion a while back that Warners was doing just that.  Here's my part of the theory.  Yes, the moral majority are copyrighted (and nobody is really allowed to upload these cartoons, but we're glad they do anyways).  HOWEVER, with the DVD sales the way they are, Warners is getting stronger with taking these down off of Youtube (probably more than ever before).  And if they are taking public domain cartoons off, I guess they don't want to see their characters on Youtube unless it's their own uploads.  What Warners doesn't know is that a good majority of these cartoons are still not yet available on DVD.  Oh well.

ParamountCartoons

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 12:14:02 pm »
With the execption of the Puppetoons (you don't own the film rights Mr. Lebovit!), Viacom hasn't removed much of their old Paramount cartoons, even during the lawsuit. While a lot of them are PD, every Betty Boop in the UM&M package (not to mention Buzzy Boop)is rarely removed. Until recently they have been sitting on  even sublicenng.

Paramount made the WORST decsions EVER when handling their cartoons. Firing the Fleischers- maybe, despite how complicated historians like Ray Pointer make the whole problem. Selling your cartoons to TV and a comic book company because some executive wanted money- when you could make more now then you did in the 50s. Imagine if Casper and SpongeBob were best pals. Closing down your studio and not making features? You left your animated heritage COMPLETELY behind.

To go back on topic, I kinda feel your pain. This copyright junk bothers me. No wonder we had bills like SOPA. 70 years is too long!

Mister Bighead

• Researcher
  • Head Toad
    • View Profile
    • Cartoons on VHS
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 12:41:38 pm »
Oh no????  We had a discussion a while back that Warners was doing just that.  Here's my part of the theory.  Yes, the moral majority are copyrighted (and nobody is really allowed to upload these cartoons, but we're glad they do anyways).  HOWEVER, with the DVD sales the way they are, Warners is getting stronger with taking these down off of Youtube (probably more than ever before).  And if they are taking public domain cartoons off, I guess they don't want to see their characters on Youtube unless it's their own uploads.  What Warners doesn't know is that a good majority of these cartoons are still not yet available on DVD.  Oh well.

First, I apologize if I sounded a bit harsh in my first post. I understand that people tend to go to video sharing websites to upload and watch classic cartoons. (Sometimes, I do that but only for the extremely rare cartoons you can't find on home video.) However, I still do believe in the importance of copyright laws. My theory is that if there is a lack of WB cartoons online, then maybe that will encourage collectors (and casual viewers) to purchase more LT DVDs and Blu-Rays.

If everything were in the public domain, we would have stuff like this: http://www.japanprobe.com/2007/05/02/disneyland-in-china/

King Delbert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 01:18:29 pm »
^ LOL. It's just as bad in New York  :P

No I'm not arguing against you about copyrights because everything you said were facts.  My point here though is why all of the sudden taking this stuff down now and not earlier?  I have said this before, I'll say it again: if you don't put something out officially for access (even outside DVD and blu-ray cause let's face it: the medium is dying there), then you opened up a whole new world for bootleggers and independents plus up-loaders on Youtube and people downloading them off of Youtube then putting them on DVD, they get the money (or no money if Youtube) and the major studios get NOTHING out of it.  That is a loss to them.  Now I'm talking more specifically, cartoons like the Censored 11, Song of the South, Terrytoons, and The Alvin Show.

I do want to talk about changes in copyright laws that should change, but I'm not gonna go there now.  And again, texwolf,  no disrespect to you whatsoever because again, everything argued are facts and yes that will (hopefully) encourage people to buy Looney Tunes DVDs (with the best quality you can get).  I do believe if you are die hard enough, that person will find a way if illegally to access whatever they want.  It's never going to end.

ForumDocXV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 01:22:51 pm »
why don't you create a petition for WB to create a YouTube channel or other online website dedicated to uploading old LT shorts. (That is actually not a bad idea.)

Not a bad idea. I actually imagined that since, they should make another YouTube channel. Not only it should feature classic Looney Tunes, but also Tom & Jerry, and the classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons all uncut. And would include non-remastered cartoons and episodes that are not on DVD and/or Blu Ray in high quality (they should included the post-1935/pre-1943 black & white Looney Tunes all left in black & white). Oh and how about a request box for people to request more cartoons they want to see?

Though the classic Looney Tunes are available to watch on the Kids WB website, they are unfortunately time-compressed which ticked me off!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:24:58 pm by ForumDocXV »
I'm not just a fan of classic golden age animation, I'm also a fan of video games, anime, and modern animation (both 2D and CGI animation).

Mister Bighead

• Researcher
  • Head Toad
    • View Profile
    • Cartoons on VHS
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 03:40:40 pm »
No I'm not arguing against you about copyrights because everything you said were facts.  My point here though is why all of the sudden taking this stuff down now and not earlier?  I have said this before, I'll say it again: if you don't put something out officially for access (even outside DVD and blu-ray cause let's face it: the medium is dying there), then you opened up a whole new world for bootleggers and independents plus up-loaders on Youtube and people downloading them off of Youtube then putting them on DVD, they get the money (or no money if Youtube) and the major studios get NOTHING out of it.  That is a loss to them.  Now I'm talking more specifically, cartoons like the Censored 11, Song of the South, Terrytoons, and The Alvin Show.

I do want to talk about changes in copyright laws that should change, but I'm not gonna go there now.  And again, texwolf,  no disrespect to you whatsoever because again, everything argued are facts and yes that will (hopefully) encourage people to buy Looney Tunes DVDs (with the best quality you can get).  I do believe if you are die hard enough, that person will find a way if illegally to access whatever they want.  It's never going to end.

Even though copyright laws do exist for a good purpose, people are still not going to follow them. You made a good point regarding bootleggers. Most bootleggers do copy more common media (be it films, T.V. series episodes, or video games) illegally for a quick buck. However, the main point of this discussion is the copying of rare classic cartoons not easily available on home video and/or on television broadcast. People seem to find it easier to bootleg cartoons or upload them on YouTube then to find rare VHS tapes and 35mm films. Also, any unreleased cartoons on easily obtainable DVD sets also creates more unlicensed copies and uploads.

Even thought I do understand the purpose of copyright laws, I sometimes watch copyrighted classic animation on YouTube, just only whatever is hard to obtain on DVD. (Take the '60s Disney educational shorts for example.) However, I'm not going to upload any copyrighted material myself. I also try not to watch anything I can easily obtain on home video or catch on television.

Not a bad idea. I actually imagined that since, they should make another YouTube channel. Not only it should feature classic Looney Tunes, but also Tom & Jerry, and the classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons all uncut. And would include non-remastered cartoons and episodes that are not on DVD and/or Blu Ray in high quality (they should included the post-1935/pre-1943 black & white Looney Tunes all left in black & white). Oh and how about a request box for people to request more cartoons they want to see?

Though the classic Looney Tunes are available to watch on the Kids WB website, they are unfortunately time-compressed which ticked me off!

First of all, if I did sound a little mean in my response post to yours, sorry. I know how you feel, but copyright laws are important. If WB does make a YouTube channel dedicated to their library of classic cartoons, they'll probably play very short ads in front of their videos in order to make some money. Also, the YouTube channel may reach an audience outside of the animation community. That could increase interest in more DVD sets.

I remember the Kids' WB website with classic cartoon videos, and if my memory is correct, they were in Flash which made the videos difficult to watch. (I believe Miniclip also had WB and Hanna-Barbera cartoons in Flash.) The now-obsolete in2TV did offer full television show episodes for free in the late 2000s. (That was back when internet speed was a bit slower.) The video website was owned by AOL and Time Warner, and it did include a lot of Looney Tunes cartoons.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:50:18 pm by texwolf42 »

red_demon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 05:47:16 pm »
The suits want it all, censor the internet of what their customers want, yet release them officially, edited and or redubbed to be PC with the times. I hunt for rare cartoons myself in the underworld. I will not support the suits in their endeavor to censer the internet and/or DVD/Blu-ray releases. I will rent copy burn, or buy second hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

red_demon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 06:00:29 pm »
Another point, how many times does "Warner Bros." release the same thing concerning the Tom And Jerry series. It is pathetic of the amount of double, triple, quadruple, etc........ the same cartoon in no improved/remaster upgrade! At least when Ted Turner had the older one, for the most part they was released on VHS, Laserdisc unedited, the only down side was they were TV prints for the most part.

red_demon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 06:10:46 pm »
Another bash for Warner Bros., they are also well known for releasing DVD's in a ratio they were "NOT" made in, ie, fake widescreen,  2010 - Hare Extraordinaire, 2010 - Frustrated Fowl, 2009 - Tom And Jerry - Chuck Jones Collection come to mind. There are also several released on various DVD's that was formatted in the wrong ratio as well.

red_demon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 06:15:35 pm »
So now I vented a bit, here's what ya do, get you a VPN. And hunt the cartoons outside the contenential 48ofa. Happy hunting.

Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 02:57:29 am »
Whine, whinge and rant as much as you like, the fact of the matter is Warner Bros own these cartoons and characters and can do what they want.

It is easier and cheaper than ever to watch THOUSANDS of cartoons, including HUNDREDS of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies across home video formats and the internet. Honestly cartoon fans have NEVER had it so good.

Yet some people still need to complain because not every single cartoon is easy to access for free on one single website. Tough luck.

Barbezinc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 09:18:31 am »
What's the damn point of this discussion???
I wish I had a magnifying glass,
'cos I can't pull any out of my ass.

~Valentin M.

My blog: http://barbezinc.blogspot.com/

King Delbert

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 01:35:39 pm »
I am going to be honest, the only thing useful was that article about the fake Disneyland.  This is going nowhere fast.  But that's ok, I have classes that go nowhere fast.   ;D