Which Disney Classics have you not seen? - Forum.
Mister Bighead
2015-02-13T13:16:43Z
This was a topic on the old GAC forums, so I thought I would bring it back here...

So far, Disney's animation division has made 54 animated features since 1937. (You can find the list, also known as the Disney Animated Features Canon or the "Disney Classics", online.) With so many films, not everyone has seen all 54 films.

So which of the Disney animated features have you not yet seen? For me, I've seen them all. I also own them all with the exception of "Big Hero 6", which hasn't been released to home video yet.
nickramer
2015-02-13T14:23:47Z
I pretty much seen them all, although I don't think I've seen "Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad" as the whole movie yet. I also haven't seen the complete "Make Mine Music" yet.
LuckyToon
2015-02-13T15:09:50Z
I haven't seen The Black Cauldron yet, but I do want to check it out once to see if I will like it or not. The villains looks awesome, but I heard the main characters are very bland (that's one thing I hope the movie won't get me bored on).
Mister Bighead
2015-02-13T15:36:06Z
Originally Posted by: LuckyToon 

I haven't seen The Black Cauldron yet, but I do want to check it out once to see if I will like it or not. The villains looks awesome, but I heard the main characters are very bland (that's one thing I hope the movie won't get me bored on).

"Black Cauldron" is a film that everyone seems to hate. I personally like it (Disney experienced with different things you wouldn't normally see in a Disney film), but it could've been a lot better.
Mac
  • Mac
  • Advanced Member
2015-02-13T17:28:22Z
Hmm... As for Walt era 'classic' animation the only film that springs to mind is 'So Dear to My Heart'. To that I'd add I've never seen some of the edited films as complete whole things (I've seen the edited versions then gone and found the missing bits) with 'Make Mine Music' being the most incomplete film I've watched. Also I really want to see Snow White with the original colours.

As for modern Disney films which get branded 'classic', I stopped being a loyal fan (who'd just go and see every film animated by Disney Feature Animation in the cinema) once Brother Bear came out and I just couldn't pay to sit through another film with Phil Collins songs. I still go see some new Disney features if they look good or if I'm in the mood (plus some movies I missed in the cinema I've since caught on TV).

Of the 54 films on this list (with its odd inclusions and omissions) http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Disney_Animated_Canon  there are only three I haven't seen at all: 'Brother Bear', 'Chicken Little' and 'Winnie-the-Pooh'.
ParamountCartoons
2015-02-13T20:55:06Z
I've seen and not seen a handful, but , for the Walt era, the big one I haven't seen in full is "Bambi". The Animaniacs short "Bumbie's Mom" made me avoid that movie. I would like to see the RKO titles to that movie.

I don't remember much of "Aladdin", "Hercules", never saw "Black Cauldron".

I had a grunge with Disney (sort of) after I became a toddler. It slowly dissolved while there are some things I have issues with that company.
Mister Bighead
2015-02-13T21:24:34Z
There are four Disney features that have a good amount of animation, but also a good amount of live-action. These are the films Disney apparently doesn't count as animated. The films are "The Reluctant Dragon", "Victory Through Air Power", "Song of the South", and "So Dear to my Heart". I recently got a copy of "So Dear to my Heart", but I either don't remember seeing it or I haven't seen it. I also have never seen no own a copy of "Song of the South".
FleischerFan
2015-02-15T16:15:23Z
Can we define "classic?"

Are we talking about only the films made while Walt was alive or simply ANY Disney animated feature?

If it's any animated Disney feature do we count Pixar releases as they are part of Disney?

Of the films made while Walt was alive, I've seen them all except So Dear to My Heart. But I now own a copy of that film and will soon see it.

Of all the Disney animated features. I have not seen Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Home on the Range or Wreck-It Ralph.

Of the Pixar films, I gave up when they announced Cars 2. Didn't see that one and am not even aware of any releases since that one.
Mister Bighead
2015-02-15T22:26:51Z
Originally Posted by: FleischerFan 

Can we define "classic?"

Are we talking about only the films made while Walt was alive or simply ANY Disney animated feature?

If it's any animated Disney feature do we count Pixar releases as they are part of Disney?

Disney has created a list of animated feature films they created in-house. The films not included in this list are the live-action/animated hybrids, the Pixar films, and whatever is produced by DisneyToon and Disney Television Animation. The list is often referred to the "Disney Classics". It is also known as the Disney animated feature canon.

The list was created sometime in the '80s mainly for marketing purposes. During trailers for new Disney animated films, a film would be referred to as Disney's [insert number here]st/th animated feature film.

You can find the list here: http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Disney_Animated_Canon 
Kristjan
2015-02-16T01:44:29Z
I'm more concerned how much of core Disney material I have and I haven't seen. i.e Mickey, Donald, Pluto, Goofy. Rather than Individual animated features that are as appealing as their source material
Mister Bighead
2015-02-16T13:51:09Z
Originally Posted by: Kristjan 

I'm more concerned how much of core Disney material I have and I haven't seen. i.e Mickey, Donald, Pluto, Goofy. Rather than Individual animated features that are as appealing as their source material

The Disney shorts are more difficult to find than the Disney features. You can easily obtain all of the features on home video. (A lot of the releases are incredibly cheap, especially those found on older home video formats.) A majority of the Disney shorts used to be released on the Walt Disney Treasures, but those sets are now out of print. (Most of them are incredibly pricey on eBay.)

You can also watch Disney shorts (illegally) on YouTube. It seems Disney doesn't care, and has not taken some of them down.
LuckyToon
2015-02-16T20:20:25Z
Originally Posted by: Mister Bighead 

Disney has created a list of animated feature films they created in-house. The films not included in this list are the live-action/animated hybrids, the Pixar films, and whatever is produced by DisneyToon and Disney Television Animation. The list is often referred to the "Disney Classics". It is also known as the Disney animated feature canon.

Not just the Disney animated feature canon, but also the films of "Walt Disney Animation Studios" which is what it's called today.
Toadette
2015-02-19T23:54:50Z
Let's see:
I haven't really seen (or haven't seen at all) Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, The Sword in the Stone, The Aristocats, The Black Cauldron, The Great Mouse Detective, Oliver & Company, The Rescuers Down Under, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, or Home on the Range. And I will see Big Hero 6 when it comes out on home video.

I've seen parts of Make Mine Music, Melody Time, Robin Hood, The Rescuers, and Fantasia 2000. My memories of watching The Little Mermaid, Pocahontas, Tarzan, and Dinosaur are very sketchy, to say the least (though I do remember parts of some of them).
Kristjan
2015-02-20T19:54:30Z

The Disney shorts are more difficult to find than the Disney features. You can easily obtain all of the features on home video. (A lot of the releases are incredibly cheap, especially those found on older home video formats.) A majority of the Disney shorts used to be released on the Walt Disney Treasures, but those sets are now out of print. (Most of them are incredibly pricey on eBay.)

You can also watch Disney shorts (illegally) on YouTube. It seems Disney doesn't care, and has not taken some of them down.

They seriously need start re-release the shorts on Blu-ray they have according to reports restored them in HD

Its not illigal to watch on youtube only the re-distribution is illigal.
dbear
2015-02-20T21:33:32Z

They seriously need start re-release the shorts on Blu-ray they have according to reports restored them in HD

Its not illigal to watch on youtube only the re-distribution is illigal.

Disney have re-restored their shorts in recent years presumably off their 4k scanning/preservation project (detailed here: http://disneydigitalstud...reserved-for-the-future/ ). They've trickled the new restorations thru the "Have a Laugh" cutdowns, a German Christmas blu-ray, the botched "Mickey's Christmas Carol" blu-ray and the TCM broadcasts. Netflix apparently have some random shorts compilations presumably utilizing the new restorations, you would think at the very least the home video department would have released them on Blu-ray already in this manner...
Wolfie
2015-02-21T23:32:52Z
I'm happy to say that I've seen them all apart from Big Hero 6. I've also got the DVDs for all of them up to and including The Lion King, plus a few more besides. Not a criticism, but I'm actually mildly surprised that so many people who love animation enough to join the IAD forums are still yet to see some of the "biggies". What a treat you have in store for you when you finally get round to watching them!
Bobby Bickert
2015-02-22T22:49:49Z
Originally Posted by: dbear 

...the botched "Mickey's Christmas Carol" blu-ray....

How did they mess it up? Excessive DVNR?

Toadette
2015-02-22T23:54:07Z
Something like it. See these reviews (the comparison screenshot in the second one is really useful):
http://www.blu-ray.com/m...ol-Blu-ray/76164/#Review 
http://www.forcesofgeek....isney-fumbles-again.html 

And more screenshots to further show what a ruin this Blu-ray is (enlarge them to appreciate the damage!):
http://www.blu-ray.com/m...u-ray/76164/#Screenshots